Toronto to Vancouver..

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi Folks,

Following on my questions about Florida and California weather, now considering plan "c".. trip across from Toronto to Vancouver on Canadian VIA rail followed by Vancouver to New York on Amtrak..

Now, I have many miles experience on Amtrak, but non at all on Via rail. The main question is are the coach seats any better or worse for sleeping in than

on Amtrak, and do coach passenges have access to the lounge and dining car? (I have a vague memory of reading that the lounge and diner were restricted on Canadian trains to sleeping car users in the summer months?) Anyone used the "upper/lower" berth options, rather than a full sleeper?

Any thoughts welcome!

Ed B)

Hi Folks,
Following on my questions about Florida and California weather, now considering plan "c".. trip across from Toronto to Vancouver on Canadian VIA rail followed by Vancouver to New York on Amtrak..

Now, I have many miles experience on Amtrak, but non at all on Via rail. The main question is are the coach seats any better or worse for sleeping in than

on Amtrak, and do coach passengers have access to the lounge and dining car? (I have a vague memory of reading that the lounge and diner were restricted on Canadian trains to sleeping car users in the summer months?) Anyone used the "upper/lower" berth options, rather than a full sleeper?

Any thoughts welcome!

Ed B)
Ed - I have taken The Canadian from Toronto to Jasper. It was in May and the train had, if I remember correctly, over 25 cars. One car was a coach, one was a coach snack bar car, and one was a Dome car for coach passengers. All of the remaining cars were sleepers. dining cars (three of them) for sleeper car passengers, and dome cars for passengers (three of them).

The only people who rode in coach were folks going short distances. At major stops along the way, most of the passengers getting on and off did so in coach.

The sleeper car I was in had, in addition to bedrooms of various sizes, some sections. A section on this train was very nice. The room during the day in seat configuration gave much more space than a roomette does. But, not the privacy. It was as if you were in coach, but much nicer than coach. And, the lower birth at night gave almost a double bed size sleeping are while the upper would handle one person fine.

All meals are included in sleeper class as well as access to the domes and the dome observation Park Car on the train.

Via sleeper class is more expensive than Amtrak for the same distances but the service and food are much better than Amtrak.

If you would like to see the pictures I took on that trip they are HERE.

I took the Canadian all the way from Vancouver to Toronto as part of my month long North America Rail Pass tour in April and May 2006. I blogged about it the entire trip here: http://jamesbrownontherails.blogspot.com/ (beware, very big page!)

I did the Canadian in three stages, stopping in Edmonton for three days between trains to visit friends and in Winnipeg to take the Hudson Bay to Churchill and back. I traveled in coach the entire way, and for every other train on my trip except for the Hudson Bay. The Hudson Bay, if you're interested, has been using the same stainless steel equipment as the Canadian ever since the ex-Florida Northern Lights stock was retired. The difference is that Hudson Bay sleeper fares don't include meals and there is very rarely a dome or lounge car, so the upgrade to sleeper accommodation for the two night journey to and from Churchill was very reasonably priced.

But I digress.... :)

Coach class on the Canadian is called 'Comfort'. All trains west of Toronto (with the exception of the Victoria Island and Northern Ontario RDC services) use beautifully restored and well maintained fifties stainless steel stock. The interior of a seated coach is similar is dimensions and the number of seats to an Amtrak car. The seats all recline and have foot rests that rise up. The difference with Amtrak is that coach passengers get a blanket and night-time amenity kit as well as a pillow. This includes an eye mask, ear plugs etc. With the blanket, pillow, ear plugs and eye mask, I found sleeping on VIA much more comfortable than on Amtrak.

VIA Rail's website (viarail.ca) will describe all the available sleeper accommodations, but you might find this shot of the sections useful:

DSCN6107.jpg

There are three pairs of section seats in the carriages that have them. Two pairs across an open aisle at one end of the carriage, adjacent to the toilet and gangway to the next carriage, and then another pair along the aisle. Across the aisle from that pair is a shower shared amongst the rooms in that carriage. At night the two seats slide down to form the widest single bed on the entire train (not including the honeymoon 'Romance by Rail' package, which is basically two rooms with the upper berths and dividing wall removed to create a double bed). The upper section is hinged above the top of the window. folds down, and a mattress which is stored in there during the day is placed on the flattened seats to make a bed. A small step ladder gets you into the upper section. Both are closed with heavy fabric curtains that can be secured shut with little button poppers. The upper berth is cheaper because it has no window. The lower berth is my favourite sleeper accommodation on VIA Rail: you lie in the widest bed on the train parallel to your own full size window... absolute railroading heaven :rolleyes:

I believe, but you would need to check, that in the high season when the train is at its longest, seated coach passengers cannot use the restaurant car, but there is always a dome / lounge / café car dedicated for seated passengers. Seated coaches were (and I believe usually are) at the very front of the train behind one or two baggage vans. The dome for seated passengers is immediately behind them. In the low season you can reach the restaurant car by walking back through about three or four sleeper cars to the first restaurant. As MrFSS said, in the high season the train is so long it has as many as three or four restaurants and domes throughout the train. At the very end of the train is the streamlined dome car for the most expensive sleeper compartments.

Seated sleeper passengers do not have access to a shower on the train, but a couple of enterprising backpackers on my trip snuck back to one of the emptier sleeper carriages and enjoyed an illicit shower during the trip. I wouldn't condone this behaviour, but suggest that if you do take a chance, you'll find shower bags with towels, shower gel, shampoo etc in the cupboard with sliding doors above or near to the shower compartment :lol:

So, to sum up... VIA Rail is much more comfortable for seated passengers than Amtrak, mainly because of the amenity kit, blanket etc. You will also get your own dome car on the Canadian, and if you travel in the low season can pay for a meal in the restaurant - where you will find the freshly prepared meals a world away from Amtrak SDS fayre.

Happy traveling

*j* :blink:

One more thing... I remember reading somewhere that sections aren't available all year round - I have a hunch they may be available in the low season only. Make a few test bookings to see if they're available. As with Amtrak, you can contact VIA Rail by phone and pay for an upgrade to a sleeper if you're planning to travel on a railpass, which is often the best value way of using VIA... the Canadian is a very popular tourist train, so fares are significantly higher than equivalent Amtrak service.

*j* :blink:

PPS... You may be lucky, and still find some late winter 50%-off specials. There are discounted fares in Comfort and Silver&Blue on the Canadian, and although the promo is still being plugged on viarail.ca, I don't know when 'winter' officially ends. It could be until the end of the low season, but again I don't know what VIA's dates are for low and high seasons. Info on the special fares here:

http://www.viarail.ca/50estouest/indexEn.html

I did a dummy booking-

Toronto-Vancouver, three people in September.

I selected triple bedroom.

The fare came out to be over CAD 5,000.

Why?

Does the sleeper system work like Amtrak's? i.e. bedroom cost is an upgrade.

I did a dummy booking-Toronto-Vancouver, three people in September.

I selected triple bedroom.

The fare came out to be over CAD 5,000.

Why?

Does the sleeper system work like Amtrak's? i.e. bedroom cost is an upgrade.
There is only ONE triple bedroom on the entire train, in The Park Car. Probably high demand. And, the train doesn't run 7 days a week, either.

Hi all.

Thanks for all info and suggestions. I am looking to have a trip in May, with my 14 year old son. The website offers coach seats at "winter sale" prices from Toronto to Vancouver at CAD $393, each. which given the exchange rate, seems good. The price of a lower berth takes these fares to CAD $800 each, and a double room about CAD$1000 each.

The North American rail pass is certainly an option. I am imagining that we will have a fair few days "off train", or my son might rebel, so it is a matter of checking point to point tickets against a railpass which might not be fully used, though a purchase price of $1,000 Adult & $900 child might be hard to justify, given our limited train travel.

Thanks again,

Ed. B)

There are three pairs of section seats in the carriages that have them. Two pairs across an open aisle at one end of the carriage, adjacent to the toilet and gangway to the next carriage, and then another pair along the aisle. Across the aisle from that pair is a shower shared amongst the rooms in that carriage.
You can see a diagram of the two types of sleeping cars - the Manor and the Chateau that run on the Canadian at the Canadian Sleeping Cars page. In addition there is some sleeping accommodation in the Park car at the tail of the train which you can learn about on the Park Car page.

You can find information about Comfort Class on the Canadian on the Transcontinental Coach Car page.

The amenities are somewhat better (OK, MUCH better for sleeper passengers), but the cost is roughly triple what Amtrak charges for a comparable trip...though with the sinking dollar, it may soon be more like quadruple...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back