Tips for traveling the Empire Builder fro Pgh to Seattle?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeZeppy412

Train Attendant
Couple questions to people familiar with the EB. I'm planning on taking it from PGH to SEA and/or Portland next September, probably the second week, but I'm pretty flexible. Is that a good or bad time compared to any others? Anyone think trackwork or other delays will be any better or worse by then? Is there enough daylight, assuming things are at least somewhat on time?

Seattle is the vacation destination, but we've heard the Columbia River gorge is beautiful and it was suggested that looping through Portland to see it is a great idea. Can anyone suggest, is it better to go through the gorge eastbound or westbound? that is go westbound to Seattle, return eastbound from Portland, or vice versa?

Should we take the Cascades from Seattle to Portland, or the Coast Starlight, does it matter?

Anything else I haven't thought of?

Another trip on our bucket list is the Zephyr to Santa Fe, if they reroute away from Raton Pass, is that really a big loss? should we go to Santa Fe first, and hope the EB delays get better, not worse in two years?

I'll try to answer some of this. If you take the EB westbound, you will have somewhat better daylight scenery along the Columbia going west. I did that a few years ago and loved the trip, although actually I did not find the scenery that astounding along the gorge - just my opinion. The route on the west side of the Cascades to or from Seattle is very beautiful. I was on it eastbound less than a month ago and the ascent along the jagged mountains was great. I do recommend you visiting the City of Portland - a very nice place and both Portland and Seattle now have very attractive traditional stations. The Cascades trains are a little faster, and would give you the experience of riding a different type of equipment.

To get the views of Glacier National Park the eastbound trip is definitely better in the morning, rather than the westbound ear;ly evening - or later - times going westbound.

I live along the route of the Southwest Chief in Flagstaff and have used that train numerous times to Los Angeles and Chicago. There are a number of good reasons to route it through Amarillo, but I am very partial to its present, historic route. While it is not considered the most scenic of routes, there is much to say for it. To me, northern New Mexico in many places ( particularly if you drive the back roads through small towns north of Santa Fe ) is like a foreign country. True, some of it looks poverty stricken, but it has a distinct character different than other places in the US. Glorieta Pass east of Lamy ( the station area looks like something out of an old movie set )is a tight squeeze, and the trackage from there to Las Vegas and Raton has the flavor of the Old West - sparsely forested hills, big S curves in the rail line, broad valleys between distant mountain ranges, truly wide open spaces. I do wish they would take those junk cars out of the Pecos River. East of Raton Pass, a part of the line I like is the single track between Trinidad and La Junta. I like standing in the rear car going east watching the Rockie recede from view. This is paralleled by the lightly driven U.S. 350, which I purposely drove on my big road trip this past summer heading home to eyeball the railroad that I have ridden from the highway. So, yes, do ride the SWC if possible on its present route. Most agree that it is pretty likely that the re-route will happen, but the story is not over yet.

I agree with Greatcats on both trains. (Note it is the SWC that goes near Santa Fe,not the CZ.) Even if the SWC is re routed, the stop at ABQ will remain. In fact, with the Rail Runner (train) service from ABQ to Santa Fe, it may even be easier to reach.

The big delays on the EB are on the eastbound train, not so much on the westbound train. There are also numerous runs daily on the Cascades between PDX and SEA. If you chose the westbound EB, I would chose to go to PDX along the Gorge, then take the Cascades (or even the CS) up to SEA!

Your dream trip on a 30 day USA Rail Pass: PGH to CHI on the CL, CHI to SEA on the EB, Cascades or CS from SEA to PDX. Rent a car in Portland and drive east on I-84 to see Multnomah Falls and the Columbia Gorge on your own terms. Fourth segment on the Rail Pass - PDX to SAC on the CS, SAC to CHI on the CZ, CHI to ABQ on the SWC, ABQ to LAX, Sunset Limited from LAX to NOL. NOL to CHI on the CONO and finally CL back to PGH from CHI. The other option from New Orleans would be the Crescent to WAS and the CL back to PGH.

While I agree with post #4, I would make two. changes. You may want to switch from the CS to CZ in either Davis (DAV) or Martinez (MTZ) instead on SAC. It is still a same morning connection and you don't have to get off the CS about 6 am without breakfast and wait around until 11 am. (You can eat on the CS after departure from SAC.)

Also, be aware that you will have to spend overnights in both CHI and NOL on your own dime using the routing suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reminding me that I need to find a new breakfast place in Sacramento for my trip next month. The best I found is Jim Dennys on 12th between H and I. We'll be walking right past our favorite HI hostel which is at the intersection of 10th & H.

I like the HI hostel in Chicago on Congress. We've stayed there a couple of times.

Next months trip is CMO to SAC on the CS followed by SAC to Burlington IA on the CZ. Renting a car in Burlington for a trip to Baltimore. Here's hoping that the weather is not horrible.

Totally agree with the HI Raves in SAC and CHI! (If Next Years Gathering is in SAC this will be THE Primo Spot to Stay!)

Just as a Matter of Curiosity, why the Rent Car from Iowa to Baltimore? Can't be a Fun Drive especially in Winter!! (You could tke the Cap and a Regional or the Card from CHI!!!) ;)

Yes, of course I meant the Southwest Chief., I misspoke. Unfortunately I've got another 15 years before I can retire and travel for a 30 day stretch. I do get two weeks in a row mandatory,though, so I can get a full week in town plus travel time.

So the only thing I'm apprehensive about is the delays on the EB. Not because of extra time on the train, but not thrilled with being bussed long distance. If I wanted to go Greyhound, I'd be on Greyhound. I'm hearing the train is sometimes so late it turns around in Spokane and they bus you the rest of the way?

On the flipside, suppose I miss the Capitol Limited connection in Chicago? I read one poster say they bussed him 20 miles out of town to a cheap hotel. If I'm going to be stuck in Chicago, I'd like to be in Chicago, not out in the sticks. Can I get a voucher and upgrade myself to something downtown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back