Time Zones and Phone Clocks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About dinner reservations on the train you have to be careful. Typically if a time zone boundary is crossed in the middle of a mealtime they will stick to the time zone that is being left behind for the duration even though the train has moved into the new time zone. That is when automatic time zone change actually might work against you.

Am on the border of a time zone and get unwanted clock changes. Finally had to go to manual time setting on phone unless going to travel thru different zones.
Modern mobile devices can use GPS and SSID maps (WiFi pre-connection handshaking broadcasts) to update the time but it sounds like your active tower's time broadcast is set to override competing information.

I'm surprised no one has said "It works exactly the same as driving down a country road across a time zone."
While reading thru this, GPS came to my mind too. I think that GPS is available for most of the Amtrak routes, even in the most rural places.

I know if I am driving down a country road and I cross a time zone, my vehicle's clock will update by GPS. Though, I guess even with GPS, if you stop right on the time zone boarder, your GPS might recalculate you being one side or the other, because of the 10 foot tolerance.

Good point about crossing Time Zone Boundaries and Diner Times jis!

It's been my experience over 46 years of riding Amtrak LD Trains that the LSA and/or Conductor will make an announcement about this unless it's during Quiet Hours during the Night.

I've seen inexpierenced riders,non- English Speakers and Older Memory Challenged folks become confused by the policy of the Diner serving meals on the Old Time even though the Meals are served in the New Time Zone that the Train is in! .

Classic example is leaving Chicago on the Cap when the train crosses into the Eastern Time Zone in Indiana after leaving Chicago with a Dinner Rez based on Central Time.

The Sunset Ltd/Eagle has the same thing with Central,Mountain and Pacific time all involved between Alpine and Tucson during Meal Service in the Diner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I often carry a GPS device when riding Amtrak to track my progress. Rarely does the signal drop, and then only in deep canyons.

But as explained earlier, for Dinner you need to be on "train time" not some external time zone. The "train time" is not always the same as the current time zone that it is traveling in.
Good point, as that may have been my case when I was on the Chief out of Chicago earlier this month. The dining car opened up at 6:30am CT (while in Kansas), but closing time was also done according to Central Time, despite the train being in Mountain Time Zone (well into Colorado) by the time breakfast service ended.

Back