Ticket scanning and crew changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you can see, it is an instruction in the blue book that some of you like to tout. However, better judgement will usually prevail and most people are not going to disturb passengers on a train if the seating chart is valid and/or passengers are asleep.

Chalk it up to the "inconsistencies" among crews.

So the question begs to be asked.... If a conductor on an overnight train decides to make it a regular habit of waking all passengers up, coach and sleeper, to scan their tickets... They would be "just doing their jobs?"

Oh Amtrak..... Ha.

By the way there are times when I can see it makes perfect sense to do a full ticket sweep for various reasons. I just think after every crew change seems like an odd rule... But that's never stopped Amtrak before!

So the question begs to be asked.... If a conductor on an overnight train decides to make it a regular habit of waking all passengers up, coach and sleeper, to scan their tickets... They would be "just doing their jobs?"

Oh Amtrak..... Ha.

By the way there are times when I can see it makes perfect sense to do a full ticket sweep for various reasons. I just think after every crew change seems like an odd rule... But that's never stopped Amtrak before!
What is the point of harping on it? This subject had already been beaten to death. The rules say yes, in the real world it's no, except on the corridor due to the amount of passenger changeover.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh Amtrak..... Ha.

What is the point of harping on it? This subject had already been beaten to death. The rules say yes, in the real world it's no, except on the corridor due to the amount of passenger changeover.
Umm, they are simply commenting on what this thread is about. If you are not interested in continuing discussion, you can simply unsubscribe from this thread. Not sure why the harsh response.

Oh Amtrak..... Ha.

Well the corridor doesn't really count... the ticket sweep would be done based on the passenger turnover, not the crew change. Meaning even if the crew didn't change, a ticket sweep would still likely be standard practice. This goes for Cascades trains in Seattle, Surfliner in LA etc.

I guess that's why I'm "harping" on it.. it is a rule that I have pretty much never seen followed. I remember a certain conductor on the Crescent ALWAYS doing a ticket sweep (and insisting that everyone show ID's) when she came on duty.. but that's about it in the LD network.

My point in the last post that I made was... wouldn't this rule, if properly followed, result in many customer complaints? (speaking specifically about Conductors coming on duty in the middle of the night).

As you can see, it is an instruction in the blue book that some of you like to tout. However, better judgement will usually prevail and most people are not going to disturb passengers on a train if the seating chart is valid and/or passengers are asleep.

Chalk it up to the "inconsistencies" among crews.
Of course passengers are not going to be disturbed when they are asleep in the middle of the night. We were merely explaining to the original poster that their ticket was rescanned after a crew change because of a ticket sweep that is supposed to be done. Does that mean that a ticket sweep is done in the middle of the night when passengers are sleeping. No, that is a leap made by some of the rail screwballs who populate this board who don't have anything better to do than harp. The Blue Book is applied with common sense by most crews, not in a literal sense. The Blue Book even gives an example of when not to do a ticket sweep.

"b) Since each Sleeping Car has an assigned OBS Attendant, there is more control over who is traveling in the car. Therefore, except in extreme situations, it is advisable to avoid a ticket sweep through the Sleeping Cars, thereby minimizing the disturbance of those passengers."

Back