Three in a Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.T.

Train Attendant
I'd like to make a booking - probably using AGR points - to have 3 adults in a bedroom. From what I've read on this board, I think it is a valid amount for the bedroom. However, with the size of the 3 adults I'm referring to - me included - I know we could never get all three of us to sleep in the bedroom. Maybe the one in the upper berth but not the two down below. So the question is, could I book the three of us into the bedroom where we'd sit during the day and get the meals, and then have the youngest and most able among us go sleep in the sightseer lounge car overnight? I'm assuming he couldn't go into a vacant coach seat to sleep. Another question might be if he could be booked into into the bedroom with the AGR points but also buy him a ticket for coach so there would be a reserved coach seat to sleep in at night? This would be for a LD train. Comments? Suggestions?

Why would you do that?

If you're not going to share the bottom bunk, just leave the bottom seats in the "day" configuration and sleep one in the bed up top and two of you in seats down below.

Coach ticket holders can't go into the sleepers, and sleeper ticket holders can't sit in Coach. I don't think that's going to work.

I'm not familiar with the bedroom layout, so take this with a grain of salt: If you're going to send the youngest to the SSL anyway, couldn't they just sleep on the floor in the bedroom? I don't see the difference. Keep the couch as a couch if it's going to take up too much room. Sleep one to bunk, one to couch, one to floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you do that?

If you're not going to share the bottom bunk, just leave the bottom seats in the "day" configuration and sleep one in the bed up top and two of you in seats down below.
Keep the couch as a couch if it's going to take up too much room. Sleep one to bunk, one to couch, one to floor.
Either of these would work. (I have slept on the "couch" - not set into a bed because I fell asleep - with no problem!) Just be aware that there is also a ladder to the upper berth to contend with.

One idea is this..

one in the top bunk, one in the bottom bed, with their feet towards the corner - on the window side of the room (head near the doorway - feet aimed towards the corner of the exterior wall.

The the 3rd person sleeps in the chair by the window, with their feet rested across the bottom bed - towards the same corner by the window.

So only one has to sleep in a chair, and I would think that this would be a bit better than a coach seat overnight - since you can at least, place your feet on the bed.

Seems like that would work...

AGR won't let you book 3 adults in a bedroom, some policy change of a few years ago. You can book two adults and get a coach ticket for third, then ask conductor if they can sleep in room . The bedroom can fit three adults. Me (30) and my parents (65) did it a few years ago, right when the policy change just was announced. We did not have any problem with conductors and even got all three meals free... Things may/probably are different now.

AGR won't let you book 3 adults in a bedroom, some policy change of a few years ago. You can book two adults and get a coach ticket for third, then ask conductor if they can sleep in room . The bedroom can fit three adults. Me (30) and my parents (65) did it a few years ago, right when the policy change just was announced. We did not have any problem with conductors and even got all three meals free... Things may/probably are different now.
False.

They will if you call them. They'll give you the usual caveat that three in a bedroom is tight, but it can be done.

False.
That's right. I booked three people in a bedroom from Portland to New Orleans last September. No problem.

Back