There is no good way to travel in America

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article missing a fine point

A matter of time versus distance - - -
The greater the distance - air travel is the best and is the fastest.
Same day departure and arrivals is pretty much the norm.
Expense (least expensive) is another factor in going the long haul distance.

With shorter distances surface travel often is the fastest and best.
Multiple travel connections may not be the best expense wise.
In the east coast cities the train and many other types of surface travel is faster than air -
"The train beating the plane city center to city center almost all the time.
The least expensive route ?

And then into the medium area of travel with connections and next day arrivals
some requiring that hotel stay/sleeper accommodations (more expenses).

I wonder that if one bites the bullet and pays for first class airline travel, or pays all the junk fees and gets, say, checked baggage, early boarding, seat selection, refundable fares, etc. that airline travel isn't so bad. Of course, delays and cancellations affect everyone, no matter how much you pay, but maybe they take care of first-class passengers better,

I wonder that if one bites the bullet and pays for first class airline travel, or pays all the junk fees and gets, say, checked baggage, early boarding, seat selection, refundable fares, etc. that airline travel isn't so bad. Of course, delays and cancellations affect everyone, no matter how much you pay, but maybe they take care of first-class passengers better,
I was going to make this same comment, and add that lounges at airports are a great amenity, although one must be a frequent flyer to avail oneself of the privilege for domestic travel.

...lounges at airports are a great amenity, although one must be a frequent flyer to avail oneself of the privilege for domestic travel.
The cost probably only makes sense for frequent flyers, but domestic airport lounge memberships are basically open to anyone who has a few hundred dollars a year to spend (either directly to an airline, or as the annual fee for a credit card that includes lounge access).

The cost probably only makes sense for frequent flyers, but domestic airport lounge memberships are basically open to anyone who has a few hundred dollars a year to spend (either directly to an airline, or as the annual fee for a credit card that includes lounge access).
But you cannot access the lounge unless you are flying. So it is pointless to get a membership unless you plan to fly.

Memberships are a lot more than a few hundred dollars:
Includes unlimited Club access for the Member and up to two guests (or your spouse/domestic partner and children under 21) per visit. This Membership is a great option if frequent guest access is important to you.

One-Year Rate: $1,495.00 or 149,500 miles.
https://www.delta.com/skyclub/purchasemembership_performRequest.action

I wonder that if one [...] pays for first class airline travel [...] [with] checked baggage, early boarding, seat selection, refundable fares, etc. that airline travel isn't so bad. Of course, delays and cancellations affect everyone, no matter how much you pay, but maybe they take care of first-class passengers better,
In my experience First/Business with PreCheck does make airline travel a lot more bearable. Even moving up to Premium Economy can make a significant difference for tall people who know how to leverage it. I rarely buy refundable fares but I do pay extra for nonstop daytime flights with changeable dates.

What you're describing was true for a long time but several years ago lounges started requiring same day alliance tickets in addition to status or membership.

Capital One Venture X credit card costs $395 annually and includes unlimited access to Priority Pass, Plaza Premium, and Capital One lounges. It looks like you get $300 of that back as credit on flights, hotels, or rental cars booked thru their travel service. So that's a net cost of only $95! But after the 1st year, you also get an anniversary bonus of 10,000 "miles", which is worth $100 towards any travel (including rail lines, BTW). I'm sure I would be applying for this card if I flew at all.

Amex Platinum card adds Delta & Lufthansa lounges for $695 a year, with $595 credits on Disney+, Walmart+, and CLEAR, as well as some money back on Uber and "incidental" airline fees.

Last edited:
But for those not flying frequently to make annual membership worthwhile, don't they also sell a 'day pass'? 🤔

I used to have Priority Pass, and early on it was quite useful. But over time, lounges began to bail out of Priority Pass access, and even those that in theory had it not infrequently would post "No Priority Pass admission" during busy times. Same thing with day passes; when things are the most chaotic and you really, really would like a lounge, it's all to common to encounter "Sorry, no day passes available."

I think the golden days of reasonably priced lounge access are gone forever, sadly.

Capital One Venture X credit card costs $395 annually and includes unlimited access to Priority Pass, Plaza Premium, and Capital One lounges. It looks like you get $300 of that back as credit on flights, hotels, or rental cars booked thru their travel service. So that's a net cost of only $95! But after the 1st year, you also get an anniversary bonus of 10,000 "miles", which is worth $100 towards any travel (including rail lines, BTW). I'm sure I would be applying for this card if I flew at all.

Amex Platinum card adds Delta & Lufthansa lounges for $695 a year, with $595 credits on Disney+, Walmart+, and CLEAR, as well as some money back on Uber and "incidental" airline fees.
While the credits may make it viable for some, the upfront costs of those options make it out of reach for the vast majority of travelers.

I used to have Priority Pass, and early on it was quite useful. But over time, lounges began to bail out of Priority Pass access, and even those that in theory had it not infrequently would post "No Priority Pass admission" during busy times. Same thing with day passes; when things are the most chaotic and you really, really would like a lounge, it's all to common to encounter "Sorry, no day passes available."

I think the golden days of reasonably priced lounge access are gone forever, sadly.
Sadly all true and getting worse. Time limits on visits - even on connections - and admission by fare paid even to those entitled. Too many perqs given out to credit card holders is coming back to bite the airlines.

Sadly all true and getting worse. Time limits on visits - even on connections - and admission by fare paid even to those entitled. Too many perqs given out to credit card holders is coming back to bite the airlines.
Wonder how long it will take the bright folks in airline marketing to create different “tier” lounges with different perks at airports?😄

Wonder how long it will take the bright folks in airline marketing to create different “tier” lounges with different perks at airports?😄
They already have a while back. They are ahead of you :)

For example United has its normal United Club which you can get into with a Membership or if you are lucky, with a Day Pass. Then there is the new Polaris Lounge where you can get in only with a Polaris ticket. AFAIK there is absolutely no other way to get into one of those. But once you get in it is very nice, and includes a full service Dining area too.

Having been sometime upgraded to first class as part of my Star Alliance Gold member status, I do not find much to write about in terms of service: yes, there are a few works, but not worth it in the domestic sector. For international flights, it is a different story, but also why unpaid upgrades are exceedingly rare.

To me, it is unfortunate that Amtrak does not provide much by way of service. Look at the dining menu: the same everyday for breakfast and lunch if you are vegetarian, one extra choice of entree for dinner. On a LD train over multiple days, this gets really boring. What is worse is that it is easily fixed. Just have a different menu on different days of the same train.

Honestly, Domestic First class is a pretty good way to travel. I'm not sure what anyone would complain about. First Class seats are quite comfortable, your checked bags are free and if you want to carry on you have dedicated overhead space so you don't have to worry about fighting for space. As long as you aren't flying out of a few select airports security lines aren't bad at all.

On your flight, you get some nice drinks and snacks, and a meal if the flight is long enough. With plenty of room to work on your laptop, etc. - it's a pretty easy way to travel.

They already have a while back. They are ahead of you :)

For example United has its normal United Club which you can get into with a Membership or if you are lucky, with a Day Pass. Then there is the new Polaris Lounge where you can get in only with a Polaris ticket. AFAIK there is absolutely no other way to get into one of those. But once you get in it is very nice, and includes a full service Dining area too.
I see. I looked further, and found this...

https://www.pointhacks.com.au/american-airlines-flagship-lounge-admirals-club-difference/

As decent as any lounge is when compared to none, the AA Flagship lounge is next level. BA also has a similar structure in their home at LHR, with Galleries lounges and the Concorde Room. Even Air Canada has 3 levels of lounges in Toronto, with the bottom tier essentially a self-serve cafeteria concept and the top level reserved for full-fare Business customers.

Honestly, Domestic First class is a pretty good way to travel. I'm not sure what anyone would complain about. First Class seats are quite comfortable, your checked bags are free and if you want to carry on you have dedicated overhead space so you don't have to worry about fighting for space. As long as you aren't flying out of a few select airports security lines aren't bad at all.

On your flight, you get some nice drinks and snacks, and a meal if the flight is long enough. With plenty of room to work on your laptop, etc. - it's a pretty easy way to travel.
How about ticket flexibility if you need to cancel or change your flight?

Back in the very early 2000s, I remember a gate agent once telling me that the airline could still make money even if the plane was only 70% full. Typical narrow body coach seating seemed a lot better when you had 3 seats to yourself.

Back in 1971, my preferred airline for the PHL-ORD flights to college was TWA, because they had the seats set up so that if the center seat was empty (which was pretty common) you could fold down the top of the center seat and have a side table that was also a very comfortable oversized armrest. Also, you ticke twas actually good an any airline flying between the city pairs. I once flying home on a standby ticket (a 30% discount over regular coach) and was stuck in ORD all evening, as all of the flights were full. I had bought the ticket as TWA, but in the end, I flew home on United (and got in at 2 AM).

My first impression of the effects of the airline deregulation of the 1970s was when I flew out of Denver Stapleton in 1979 and noticed that the terminal had the ambience of a Greyhound station. But even so, flying was OK (well, there was Frank Lorenzo's Continental) well into the 2000s. What killed off the experience were the security lines, the elimination of meals, and the junk fees.

Last edited:
Depends on what fare class you buy, just like in Economy too. All First Class tickets do not necessarily give you flexibility without a fee. There are less flexible discounted fares in First Class too with hefty change and cancellation fees.

Now that most major airports have usable WiFi, many cellular plans include hot spot data, many airline apps can help you work around IRROPS, and at-seat power plugs are common, many of the airport lounge benefits are less relevant. Contrary to the assumption of a premium experience I almost always find better food and a quieter waiting location in public areas than most airport lounges can offer.

Then there is the new Polaris Lounge where you can get in only with a Polaris ticket. AFAIK there is absolutely no other way to get into one of those.
On the outbound/departing INTL leg you can access Polaris lounges with contracting partner tickets in F/J. On inbound/returning legs only UA Polaris tickets will work.

As long as you aren't flying out of a few select airports security lines aren't bad at all.
Security lines are fine if you're familiar with the airport layout and busy checkpoints and rush periods (and have PreCheck). Infrequent travelers flying through an unfamiliar airport can find airport security a major drag. Things were working well for me until the new CT-Scan machines started showing up.

Last edited:
For Delta, you can buy refundable or non-refundable, but even the non-refundable you can cancel and get a credit for a future flight. (this is the same policy for Delta Main Cabin and Comfort+ as well, only the cheapest economy fairs have a cancellation fee). I'm not sure about the policies for AA and United but I know I've changed AA flights with no fee.
Security lines are fine if you're familiar with the airport layout and busy checkpoints and rush periods (and have PreCheck). Infrequent travelers flying through an unfamiliar airport can find airport security a major drag. Things were working well for me until the new CT-Scan machines started showing up.
For me it's just a few airports that have issues with security, and it's just because the airport design doesn't really go well with current security screenings. Orlando is a good example. I don't have pre-check and security is pretty quick and easy but I do fly out of smaller airports.

What issues have you had with the new CT machines? In general I like them, since you don't have to unpack your luggage anymore. haha.

I think one potentially "good way to travel" would be buses with 2-1 seating. Currently, the seats on buses are the narrowest of any long-distance transportation mode. I have heard they have deluxe buses in Mexico (with less legroom for the single seats than the doubles). But I don't know how the economics work out, and a first-class experience requires more than just being picked up and dumped on the side of then street. Anyone for building new bus terminals?

Back