The Texas Eagle, Hoosier State

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

highballing

Train Attendant
My brother and I are gonna be taking the Texas Eagle from Fort Worth to Chicago and then on Hoosier State to Indianapolis.. We have a roomette for both ways on the Texas Eagle. This will be my first trip aboard the Texas Eagle and Hoosier State. As well as my second trip onboard a Amtrak train. My first time was a number years ago and I was very young and don't remember allot about it. But anyway. I have plenty to keep my brother and I occupied for the trip. Books, Music etc. But my main question is do you have any advice that is route specific??? I have read pretty much all the advice threads. But I was looking for some more route specific advice and or information on this trip or somebody who has done this route before.

I'm not looking for a thread of negative comments leave those behind. I want information and advice that is route specific. Like how roomette assignments work on the Texas Eagle and what not.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you already have made your reservations, you have the car and room numbers already. Use THIS to locate the positions of the rooms. The car numbers on the Texas Eagle are on the "20" series (example: 222X). The lower the number, the closer it is to the CCC (Cross Country Cafe - the Diner).

Between Fort Worth and Chicago, you both will get lunch, dinner and breakfast. From Chicago to Fort Worth, you both will get dinner and breakfast only (due to the departure time from Chicago). Also note that this is in the CCC ONLY! Anything you get from the cafe must be paid for. There will be coffee and juice in the sleeper also.

If you already have made your reservations, you have the car and room numbers already. Use THIS to locate the positions of the rooms. The car numbers on the Texas Eagle are on the "20" series (example: 222X). The lower the number, the closer it is to the CCC (Cross Country Cafe - the Diner).

Between Fort Worth and Chicago, you both will get lunch, dinner and breakfast. From Chicago to Fort Worth, you both will get dinner and breakfast only (due to the departure time from Chicago). Also note that this is in the CCC ONLY! Anything you get from the cafe must be paid for. There will be coffee and juice in the sleeper also.
Isn't the meals included with the roomette????

I just returned from a trip on the Texas Eagle, from Chicago to San Antonio and back. I had a great time.

From Ft. Worth to Chicago my highlights were:

• Ft. Worth, TX
    Very nice station and great for BNSF and UP rail fanning. I loved how the freeway interchange was built on top of the rail interchange (interlocking). I realize this is most likely your home station, so this comment is for those who'll read this that have never been.
  • Dallas, TX
    Beautiful cityscape and another nice station and good rail fanning location. You won't have time to stroll through the park across the street from the station going towards Chicago, but I'm guessing that since you're departing from Ft. Worth you've already seen it.
  • St. Louis, MO
    Be up and dressed before 7am. Although you won't have time to see what's around the station, the sunrise at the station with the sun reflecting off the tracks was beautiful.

Depending on which tracks they take you, you may or may not be able to see the arch. On my trip, they routed us directly beneath the arch, but underground, so I didn't get to see much of it.

Wait until after crossing the Mississippi river before going to breakfast, and be somewhere where you can see out both sides of the train (like the lounge car) when crossing.
  • Chicago, IL
    Great view of the freight and Amtrak rail yards entering the city (if you're in to those kinds of things). Nice view of downtown as well.
A few other notes:

- Lunch will be very short in Illinois, make sure you get to the dining car when they call lunch.

- Don't bother trying to find the state line in Texarkanna: it's not marked.

- Get off the train at every smoke stop you can (I learned that in hind site of my first long distance trip and heeded it this time).

Enjoy the ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back