The Ocean........A possible re-route to the NTR??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether you go thru US inspection in the US, or pre-inspection at certain Canadian airports, should be no different....essentially once you clear the pre-inspection, you are virtually 'in' the US.....similar to being in a foreign embassy......
Not really.....US CBP Officers have limited powers under the Pre-Clearance Act while in Canada. Im still fully protected under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and can terminate the preclearance process at any time and leave the area. Couldnt do that if I had already crossed the US Border (and it would probably ruin my chances of getting into the US for awhile!)

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/P-19.3/FullText.html

10. (1) Every traveller has the right, at any stage of the preclearance process, to leave a preclearance area without departing for the United States, unless a preclearance officer informs the traveller that the officer suspects on reasonable grounds that the traveller has committed an offence under section 33 or 34.

And if an offence was committed.....it would be an RCMP officer (or other Canadian Police officer) brought in to investigate.

Okay...I didn't know the details....thanks for clearing it up....I thought that once you were cleared to board your US bound flight, if you changed your mind, you would then have to go thru Canadian inspection to 'get back' into Canada... :huh: :unsure:

.......I thought that once you were cleared to board your US bound flight, if you changed your mind, you would then have to go thru Canadian inspection to 'get back' into Canada
Oh I think you still have to do that:

[SIZE=12pt](2) Every traveller, whether travelling from Canada or in transit through Canada, who leaves an intransit area without departing immediately for the United States must report without delay to a customs officer and an immigration officer for examination.[/SIZE]

It’s probably because you’ve had access to Duty-Free and have mixed with other passengers*** in the Pre-Clearance area.

***In some of the larger Canadian airports, passengers arriving from say Hong Kong and connecting to the US go directly to US Pre-Clearance bypassing Canadian CBSA (Customs)

Pre-Clearance in Canada is just that…..you’ve been “Pre-Cleared” to enter the US and I imagine the Act governing Amtrak Pre-Clearance at Pacific Central in Vancouver is similar. You don’t “Enter” the US until the Cascades actually crosses the border at Blaine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes sense....otherwise some 'wise-guy's' might buy duty free and get away with nonpayment of taxes, by 'changing their mind', when in reality, they never intended to actually go. ;)

I arrived in Scotland the other day at Edinburgh Airport and was courteously and expediently handled. Five years ago I drove one morning from Montana into Alberta and encountered a Customs guy so obnoxious tha I was tempted to punch his lights out.

I arrived in Scotland the other day at Edinburgh Airport and was courteously and expediently handled. Five years ago I drove one morning from Montana into Alberta and encountered a Customs guy so obnoxious tha I was tempted to punch his lights out.
Which road was that? The crossings from Interstates are usually better.

I arrived in Scotland the other day at Edinburgh Airport and was courteously and expediently handled.
I have always had exceptionally polite and courteous treatment from UK border agents. Can't tell you why exactly -- they're just better trained or something.

Swadian- late reply. That border crossing was between Babb, MT and Cardston, AB. I drive up US 89 along Glacier NP. From Browning on a wintry morning. He was OBNOXIOUS.

I did not mind the drive except that the first job ended abruptly, which greatly upset me at the time, and then I was offered on short notice the one in Alaska. My life was turned inside out, but it turned out OK. I recall the last 50 miles into Prince Rupert in the snow and fog as darkness fell. A bit creepy.

I did not mind the drive except that the first job ended abruptly, which greatly upset me at the time, and then I was offered on short notice the one in Alaska. My life was turned inside out, but it turned out OK. I recall the last 50 miles into Prince Rupert in the snow and fog as darkness fell. A bit creepy.
I plan to visit Western Canada as well this summer, so could you recommened someplace? I heard Prince George is unsafe.

Back