The next few years

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revised for my own entertainment. Several projects were COMPLETED and have been removed from the list. The update was inspired by finding news on all three Michigan station projects and on West Detroit Junction.

* I've left out some NEC projects, as well as nearly everything done by the MBTA, mainly because I have no good grasp on their schedules.

* I haven't included California HSR or All Aboard Florida, deliberately, as their projected dates don't seem reliable (...they'll happen when they happen).

* I know I'm missing some San Joaquin improvements.

* I haven't listed the Piedmont projects individually since it seems like the benefits will mostly only come when they're all finished.

* I've left out specific Chicago-St. Louis track improvements because they're an endless shaggy dog story; I put in Quinn's target dates for improved service.

* I'm probably missing some other stuff too.

* I included urban rail improvements where and only where they connect large populations to the Amtrak station.

* And I've left 2019 as the cutoff for projects; nothing beyond the five-year horizon please.

2014:

any day now: Englewood Flyover finishes

"before October 31": Troy MI station opens

"late October": Grand Rapids new station opens

November: Dearborn new station opens

"end of year": Anaheim new train station ("ARTIC") supposed to open

"fall": Miami Central Station supposed to open

"winter": Mt Vernon siding in WA supposed to be finished

December: Rochester station supposed to start construction

End of year: supposed last chance for Raton Pass route

Niagara Falls station supposed to start construction (contract has been awarded -- anyone seen any construction?)

ACS-64s continue delivery

Viewliner IIs continue delivery

Indiana Gateway projects under construction now (yep!)

NY major trackwork under construction now (yep, both track & platform)

MI major trackwork under construction now (yep)

VT major trackwork under construction now (dunno)

Quad Cities trackwork has started (BNSF section only); agreement with Iowa Interstate has been finished and engineering is being done

Milwaukee trainshed & platform construction supposed to start

2015:

"first quarter": Vermonter reroute

"end of": 5 hour service CHI-STL promised by Gov. Quinn

June: West Detroit Junction work supposed to finish

December: Springfield MA Union Station

December: Moline service

"late": Rockford service

end of year: BNSF thinks it will catch up on its underinvestment (though I doubt it)

December 31: PTC deadline -- Amtrak, BNSF, Metrolink, SEPTA, NJT, expect to meet deadline

Birmingham AL station supposed to open

Van Nuys second platform supposed to open

ACS-64 deliveries supposed to finish

Quad Cities trackwork on Iowa Interstate section supposed to start

Schenectady station supposed to start construction

Point Defiance Bypass supposed to start construction

Tacoma Trestle supposed to start construction

Raleigh Union Station supposed to start construction

Seattle King St. Station track improvements (next phase) supposed to start construction

Blaine WA Customs Siding. Delayed from 2014: final agreement with BNSF has been reached, but it hasn't been "designed" yet. Right.

Surfliner: Sorrento Valley double track (1.1 miles of double track, raised track bed, two wooden trestle bridges replaced).

Surfliner: San Onofre double track Phase 1 (with phase 2 will be 5.8 miles of double track and wooden trestle bridge replacement).

Surfliner: Construction starts on third track, additional platform, lengthened platform at Oceanside Transit Center.

(Kansas City Streetcar opens connecting to KC Union Station)

(Expo Line Phase II opens in LA connecting Santa Monica indirectly to LA Union Station, also Gold Line to Azuza)

(Chicago: bus lanes to separate buses from taxis/private cars in front of Union Station expected)

(Chicago: off-street bus "transit center" with enclosed connection to Union Station expected)

(Toronto airport train opens)

2016:

Probable early: SW Chief relocates to Transcon

"June": Bilevel corridor car "pilot car" delivery supposed to start

"summer": new Joliet train station supposed to open (under construction now)

"fall": 125 mph corridor diesel deliveries supposed to start (seems unlikely)

"fall": WA Toteff siding extension supposed to open

"fall": Alton Transportation Center supposed to open (not likely)

"end of": NH-H-S commuter rail in Connecticut supposed to open

Rochester station supposed to open

Niagara Falls station supposed to open

Exton PA high platforms supposed to open

Viewliner deliveries supposed to finish

Indiana Gateway projects supposed to finish

Milwaukee trainshed & platform work supposed to finish

NY Penn West End Concourse (Moynihan Pt. 1) supposed to open

Surfliner: Poinsettia station replaces at grade pedestrian crossing with an undercrossing and an inter-track fence, 15" platforms.

(Denver Union Station gets three more connecting urban rail lines)

(Sunrail Phase II opens and construction on those tracks finally finishes)

(Gold Line Foothills extension opens in LA)

(Seattle Link extension to University opens)

(Montreal "East" train opens)

2017:

"mid": 125 mph corridor diesel deliveries supposed to finish

"Spring": completion of catenary replacement project with constant tension catenary on the New Haven Line.

"end of": 4.5 hour service CHI-STL promised by Gov. Quinn

NY Trackwork supposed to be finished

MI Trackwork supposed to be finished

Schenectady station supposed to open

Point Defiance Bypass supposed to open

Tacoma Trestle replacement supposed to open

Seattle King St. Station track improvements supposed to open

WA "Kelso Martins Bluff new siding" and "Kelso to Longview Junction third main" supposed to open

Roanoke VA service supposed to start

Raleigh Union Station supposed to open to train service

Vermont Western Corridor (Albany-Burlington) year for opening if no more federal funding is received, according to the state department of transportation in 2012

Completion of Amtrak's NEC NJ HSR project between New Brunswick and Morrisville (including constant tension catenary)

NY Penn Station A interlocking ladder track realignment

Surfliner: Los Peñasquitos Lagoon Bridges Replacement (four wooden trestle bridges replaced, allows increased speed)

Virginia: Arkendale to Powells Creek 3rd track for the RF&P line

Deadline for ARRA-funded improvements (such as a whole lot of Piedmont improvements as well as much of what's listed above)

2018:

Bilevel corridor car deliveries supposed to finish

Amtrak's target date for new HSR trainsets in service (there is no way this happens on this schedule)

Surfliner: Elvira to Morena (2.6 miles of double track and curve realignment).

Surfliner: San Diego River Bridge (0.9 miles of double track, new double tracked bridge over San Diego River).

Funded but AFAICT indefinitely delayed:

Waterloo IN new platform

relocation of Texas Eagle to Trinity Railway Express line

Montreal pre-clearance customs platform

neroden: I really enjoy the list but would you also consider keeping completed items under a completed heading? Or perhaps in another thread if you think that's better. Either way I'd enjoy having a running total of those projects that finally make it across the finish line. In part because I'd like to review completed projects (both for future travels and to see what sort of advocacy was successful) and because when it comes to passenger rail in the Americas any bit of good news is probably worth repeating. ^_^

Um, maybe *you* could accumulate the completed items in a list, Devil's Advocate? (Hint to make it easy: they're the ones which disappear from the *top* of the "upcoming" list between one list and the next. No project, so far, has been finished years early.) I do make this list for my own entertainment... feel free to make a list for your own entertainment!

Last edited by a moderator:
head-explode.gif

You missed the double tracking from Van Nuys (Raymer) to Chatsworth on the Metrolink/Surfliner UP Ventura sub. Supposed to start next year.

If you are counting all passenger rail and not just Amtrak, then NJTransit just got funding to replace the Raritan River Bridge on the North Jersey Coast Line. This will be a major project that will have a very positive impact on both passenger and freight service on that line.

If you include light rail then NJT's HBLRT and Newark Light Rail will get respective 25 and 10 cars expanded from 3 section to 5 section units thus increasing seating by 50 seats in each of those extended cars. This is a fully funded project starting right about now with the cadence of delivery of 4 upgraded vehicles per month,

Report on the NEC HSR in NJ, track 1 is out of service from County (Jersey Avenue) to Fair (Trenton) for upgrade work. It should be out of service for another 6 months or so maybe. They have built temporary platforms over the track at Hamilton, and are in the process of doing so at Princeton Jct. so that passengers can easily board trains on track 2. The overall project is on track to complete in 2017.

NJT is also contracting the final design work for multi-level power cars to form EMU sets out of the existing trailer and cab cars and new mid-train power cars. It is likely to be three or four years before such cars start arriving on the property at the earliest.

Isn't the Englewood Flyover substantially complete? At least for Metra operations.

Per amtrak.com re: Grand Rapids, MI station....

Effective October 27, 2014, the Grand Rapids, MI station will move to a new facility at 440 Century Avenue, Southwest, Grand Rapids, MI 49503 about a half mile east of the current stop.

Construction work is about to begin for 3 stations on the New Haven to Springfield line. CT Governor Malloy press release. The commuter service will be branded the Hartford Line.

Excerpt: "Station construction in Wallingford, Meriden and Berlin is scheduled to begin this fall and will be completed by the launch of enhanced rail service in late 2016. Improvements at these stations include high-level platforms (both sides of the track), overhead pedestrian bridge with new elevators and stair towers on both sides of the track to connect the two platforms, ..."

Revised for my own entertainment. The purpose of this for me is to keep track of *dates*, to see when I should expect things to open, to watch for early openings or delays. So I haven't included anything with really unclear schedules -- where I couldn't find a projected completion date, or where future groundbreaking dates seemed speculative. This includes nearly everything done by the MBTA. If you've got a project I'm missing, please link me to a recent report with a projected completion date, or at least a groundbreaking date. Year is sufficient.

Several projects were COMPLETED and have been removed from the list. (Yay, by the way.) This includes Englewood Flyover and 2 Michigan stations. Sadly I haven't had many additions to the list lately. But the M-1 streetcar started construction in Detroit, and West Detroit Junction *finally* broke ground and has a scheduled completion date.

Improvements to "commuter" rail services are welcome on the list where the rail service provides service between cities. Improvements on lines Amtrak does not run on are in parentheses.

I included urban (within-city) rail improvements selectively: only where they provide new rail connections to the intercity network (so, an extension of HBLR to a new station qualifies, new rolling stock for HBLR doesn't). This is because I am looking at it from the point of view of "where can I get to by train without renting a car at the destination".

2014:

December 10: Dearborn new station opens

December 13: Anaheim new train station ("ARTIC") opens

"winter": Mt Vernon siding in WA supposed to be finished (anyone know?)

End of year: supposed last chance for Raton Pass route

ACS-64s continue delivery

Viewliner IIs continue delivery

Indiana Gateway projects under construction now

NY major trackwork under construction now

Schenectady, Rochester, and Niagara Falls stations under construction now

MI major trackwork under construction now

VT major trackwork under construction now

Quad Cities trackwork has started (BNSF section only); agreement with Iowa Interstate has been finished and engineering is being done

Milwaukee trainshed & platform construction supposed to start (did it start?)

Last Keystone grade crossing supposed to close (did it close?)

2015:

"first quarter": Vermonter reroute

"June": West Detroit Junction project supposed to open

( http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_release/12006658/west-detroit-connector-rail-project-begins )

December 31: PTC deadline -- Amtrak, BNSF, Metrolink, SEPTA, NJT, expect to meet deadline

"before PTC implementation: SEPTA/CSX separation project on West Trenton Line should be completed

Van Nuys-Chatworth double track supposed to start

Seattle King St. Station track improvements (next phase) supposed to start construction

Blaine WA Customs Siding. Delayed from 2014: final agreement with BNSF has been reached, but it hasn't been "designed" yet. Right.

(Expo Line Phase II opens in LA connecting Santa Monica indirectly to LA Union Station)

(Chicago Central Loop bus lanes to separate buses from taxis/private cars expected in front of Union Station)

2016:

"early" and "before schedule": Niagara Falls station open

(last I read on this as this: http://newyork.construction.com/yb/ny/article.aspx?story_id=id:7r_eJk0eWkEu_MnHuidsTX8LYbV60RB2LqblwqXohD5wcJiYrnwsQu0usHCVlB8j )

Early if Amtrak doesn't renege on previous claims: SW Chief relocates to Transcon

"end of": "Hartford Line" commuter rail in Connecticut supposed to open with several improved stations

late: New Milwaukee platforms and trainshed scheduled to open ("15-18" months from sometime after contract was awarded in June)

Rochester station supposed to open (contractor is The Pike Company)

(October or November: Detroit's M-1 streetcar opens connecting Amtrak station to downtown)

2017:

Rochester station expected to open

WA "Kelso Martins Bluff new siding" and "Kelso to Longview Junction third main" supposed to open

Vermont Western Corridor (Albany-Burlington) year for opening if no more federal funding is received, according to the state department of transportation in 2012

Completion of Amtrak's NEC NJ HSR project between New Brunswick and Morrisville (including constant tension catenary)

Deadline for ARRA-funded improvements (such as a whole lot of Piedmont improvements as well as much of what's listed above)

2018:

No dates:

(NJT Raritan River bridge replacement on North Jersey Coast Line)

(MBTA upgrade to Fitchburg Line)

(MBTA upgrade to Fairmount Line)

(MBTA upgrade to Haverhill Line) (notice a trend here?)

Waterloo IN new platform

relocation of Texas Eagle to Trinity Railway Express line

Constructed but indefinitely delayed:

Miami Central Station (airport station) for Amtrak

December 13: Anaheim new train station ("ARTIC") opens
So this one is funky. Turns out that the opening is actually on December 6th (that's when Metrolink, Amtrak, and Megabus start stopping there), but the grand opening ceremony is on the 13th.

I think the last keystone grade crossing closed a month or two ago. I think there may have been a thread on it, not sure.
Yes, there was a thread I started on the last public grade crossing being closed on the eastern Keystone in late September: Last 2 public grade crossings closed on eastern Keystone. We can put that project into the operationally complete category as IIRC, some landscaping and road removal work remains to be done but that has no effect on Amtrak operations.

CT River line reroute - may indeed start as soon as December 29. According to posts at railroad.net, crews have been qualifying on the restored route. Northampton (NHT) and Greenfield (GFD) stations show up in the Amtrak iPhone app and Find a Station page on the website.

In the funded and under construction, but not clear when it will be completed category, we can list the 3rd track from Ragan to Yard interlocking project south of the Wilmington DE station on the NEC. This project is important as it will fix a bottleneck point on the NEC.

In the no dates (but funded), useful project category, we could add:

Kingston RI station 1.5 miles of 3rd track and high level platforms - it received $25 million in HSIPR stimulus funds but can't find any recent updates on its status.

RF&P line: 3rd track from Arkendale to Powells Creek. Reportedly utility relocation work is underway, but can't find any public news on when construction might finally start.

Effective October 27, 2014, the Grand Rapids, MI station will move to a new facility at 440 Century Avenue, Southwest, Grand Rapids, MI 49503 about a half mile east of the current stop.[/size]
Why? What was wrong with the current setup? Looks to have enough parking and seems to have better visibility to the public at it's old location.

BTW, now we have learned that only about two thirds of the route between County (Jersey Avenue) and Morris (Morrisville) will be upgraded to constant tension catenary. The rest will be upgraded to anchored catenary with shorter spans.

Effective October 27, 2014, the Grand Rapids, MI station will move to a new facility at 440 Century Avenue, Southwest, Grand Rapids, MI 49503 about a half mile east of the current stop.[/size]
Why? What was wrong with the current setup? Looks to have enough parking and seems to have better visibility to the public at it's old location.
(1) The train blocked two grade crossings -- one of which is a major street -- while boarding.(2) There was no connectivity with city buses or Greyhound. The new station is directly attached to the central city bus station and the Greyhound station.

(3) The old station was too small for the ridership.

(4) The old station did not allow for expansion; the new one allows for a second platform track at a future date.

(5) The old station required that the train be stored overnight at the nearby freight yard -- a move which both required paying rent, and again involved blocking the major grade crossing on each move. The train can now be stored at the station overnight.

The old Wealthy St. location was supposed to be temporary when it was built *30 years ago*. They knew it was a bad location all along.

The replacement Grand Rapids station has been in the works for a very long time. I have some friends who were involved in advocating for funding for it when they were freshmen in college in Grand Rapids -- it had already been on the drawing board for a decade by then -- and they're now in their late 30s (and not living in Grand Rapids any more).

BTW, now we have learned that only about two thirds of the route between County (Jersey Avenue) and Morris (Morrisville) will be upgraded to constant tension catenary. The rest will be upgraded to anchored catenary with shorter spans.
How curious. Is there a reason? I thought constant tension catenary was not much more expensive than traditional catenary, and I thought it was just used by default in new medium-speed and high-speed applications.

I don't know what the reason is. Just saw some details of what is actually going to be put in place for which segment. I am sure cost was a consideration. In pure materials constant tension costs a bit more simply because it requires quite a bit more of cables to provide the overlap sections I am told. It probably also had to do with the cost of fitting things within the existing trackside equipment inventory in place too. But honestly, I don;t know the full reasons. Just speculating.

I have not been able to find out yet whether they are sticking with the three cable (messenger, auxiliary, trolley) system or are going over to the traditional two cable (messenger, trolley/contact) system as found on most HV AC electrification systems, including in the the NHV - BOS section. I would hope that it is the latter, but one never knows until the proverbial fat lady sings I suppose.

Uh oh!

Revised for my own entertainment. The purpose of this for me is to keep track of *dates*, to see when I should expect things to open, to watch for early openings or delays. So I haven't included anything with really unclear schedules -- where I couldn't find a projected completion date, or where future groundbreaking dates seemed wildly speculative. This includes nearly everything done by the MBTA. If you've got a project I'm missing, please link me to a recent report with a projected completion date, or at least a groundbreaking date. Year is sufficient. I'm not looking past 2018, though.

Thank goodness, everything which was supposed to be done in 2014 on the last version of the list WAS actually done -- and the Vermonter reroute opened a bit early. Dearborn & Anaheim finally opened, too.

Improvements to "commuter" rail services are welcome on the list where the rail service provides service between cities. Improvements on lines Amtrak does not run on are in parentheses.

I included urban (within-city) rail improvements selectively: only where they provide new rail connections to the intercity network (so, an extension of HBLR to a new station qualifies, new rolling stock for HBLR doesn't). This is because I am looking at it from the point of view of "where can I get to by train without renting a car at the destination".

2015:

Supposedly last chance for Raton Pass route has passed, not that Amtrak seems to believe its own deadline

"first quarter": Texas Eagle reroute to TRE

"April": Holyoke MA supposed to start service

"June": West Detroit Junction project supposed to open

( http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_release/12006658/west-detroit-connector-rail-project-begins )

September: Holyoke MA station finished

December: Durham to Morrisville NC double track

"before PTC implementation": SEPTA/CSX separation project on West Trenton Line should be completed

"end of": permanent Northampton and Greenfield MA platforms

Vermonter schedule supposed to become faster

Van Nuys-Chatworth double track supposed to start

(Expo Line Phase II opens in LA connecting Santa Monica indirectly to LA Union Station)

(Chicago Central Loop bus lanes to separate buses from taxis/private cars expected in front of Union Station)

2016:

"early" and "before schedule": Niagara Falls station open

(last I read on this as this: http://newyork.construction.com/yb/ny/article.aspx?story_id=id:7r_eJk0eWkEu_MnHuidsTX8LYbV60RB2LqblwqXohD5wcJiYrnwsQu0usHCVlB8j )

Early if Amtrak doesn't renege on previous claims: SW Chief relocates to Transcon

October: Thomasville to Lexington NC double track

"end of": "Hartford Line" commuter rail in Connecticut supposed to open with several improved stations

late: New Milwaukee platforms and trainshed scheduled to open ("15-18" months from sometime after contract was awarded in June)

Rochester station supposed to open (contractor is The Pike Company)

(AAF proposed Miami-West Palm Beach service date; will probably be late)

(October or November: Detroit's M-1 streetcar opens connecting Amtrak station to downtown)

2017:

May: Harrisburg NC to Charlotte double track

Rochester station expected to open

(AAF proposed Miami-Orlando service date; will probably be late)

2018:

LA Union Station run-through tracks ("SCRIP") supposed to open

No dates, but definitely happening:

(NJT Raritan River bridge replacement on North Jersey Coast Line)

(MBTA upgrade to Fitchburg Line)

(MBTA upgrade to Fairmount Line)

(MBTA upgrade to Haverhill Line) (notice a trend here?)

(3rd track from Ragan to Yard interlocking project south of the Wilmington DE station on the NEC)

Waterloo IN new platform

Kingston RI station 1.5 miles of 3rd track and high level platforms

RF&P line, 3rd track from Arkendale to Powells Creek

Constructed but indefinitely delayed:

Miami Central Station (airport station) for Amtrak

Metrolink's systemwide PTC revenue service demonstration (when it should all be up and running) is March 25, 2015. Metrolink's Perris Valley Line (really an extension of the 91 Line) should be open late 2015 as well.

Kingston RI station 1.5 miles of 3rd track and high level platforms
With the start of 2015, several updates:

From the Rhode Island FY2014 state fact sheet on the Kingston RI station: "Amtrak and its consultant have completed the design work and Amtrak is procuring a construction contractor starting in spring 2015, with work expected to be done in spring 2017." So another project to be done by 2017, thanks to the September 30, 2017 deadline for spending the HSIPR grants.

I was wondering about the status of the 2 new routes in IL and found this Illinois DOT passenger rail website. For Chicago to Quad Cities, service is now scheduled to start at the end of 2016 (project schedule link).

You should put the new Newark DE station under the "Funded but AFAICT indefinitely delayed:" list. The state and NS are haggling over the design and configuration for the NS rail yard from the most recent news report. I expect the new station will be built, but the completion date is likely to be delayed into 2018.

Back