The infamous "11 foot 8 bridge" in Durham, NC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not jump to the conclusion that the crew member was "nosy".....perhaps he was required to observe the passing, to insure the train was not fouled in any way by debris, etc.....

If you watch the entire video there are two crew members at two different open doors. I️ suspected they were checking to make sure the train could pass safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Assuming that the Carolinian was running with 6 cars and a bag, yes..it makes perfect sense to make sure the train can safely pass after the heaviest part of it (the engine) and three cars have already passed the incident. I mean, why precede or walk the move to see if it can pass safely when you can ascertain the route from the rear of the 4th car and the head end of the 6th car?
default_ph34r.png

Elevating the railway would be astronomically expensive. There are at-grade crossings to the right of the webcam and the recently opened Amtrak station is not far to the left. NCDOT prepared an estimate of elevating the railway -- which is state-owned, remember -- throughout all of downtown Durham, the so-called "Great Wall of Durham" project, but the City asked that the project not be pursued. The line carries a substantial amount of freight, and NS is not keen on a hump.
They are actually planning a split grade separation (raise the rails a bit, lower the roads a bit) at Magnum and Blackwell, which will also increase the clearance at the nearby Roxboro Street to the standard 14'6". IMO while they are at it, they should extend the project west to:

1. Include a split grade separation at Duke Street like the ones at Mangum and Blackwell

2. Raise the substandard clearance at Gregson and Chapel Hill streets

3. Double track the railroad

4. Rebuild the platform as a high-level island with gauntlet tracks accessed by a below-grade pedestrian tunnel.

Back