The good ole days are back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.. I'm glad I saw this thread.

I have a reservation for a sleeper on May 29th at 7:30ish in Newark, NJ.

I checked the reservation on Amtrak's site and it lists leaving newark at 10:05am, then it lists it again leaving at 7:24, then it lists it a third time at 7:24.

Strange....

But this messes up my vacation plans... I was going to go after work to get the train. Now either I have to try to take another day off or I'll have to drive down to Orlando.

They didn't call me or anything yet, BTW.

I was a regular Silver Meteor rider long before Amtrak and I remember 18 - 20 car trains and they all stopped at Trenton - plenty of platform room. What really upset me was when Amtrak removed checked baggage service from Trenton - now when I travel its either shlep all the baggage onboard or check it into Newark and oh how I hate either option.

Remember though, since the 1970's platform lengths have been reduced on the NEC. When stations got refurbished, the entire platforms did not and some parts were either torn down or left to crumble. There's evidence of this just south of the Newark, NJ station where a good portion of the old platform was left untouched during refurbishment of the rest of the station.

I had been booked on the Silver Meteor for a trip from Savannah to NYP on June 1, returning June 6. I called today to change my reservation--needed to be in NYC the afternoon of the 6th so could not leave at new 9:45 a.m. departure time. Anyway, the agent was very helpful, very courteous and VERY apologetic for the inconvienence. My reservation was changed (without charge) to depatrture on the morning of the 7th. All in all it was a suprisingly good experience. I still wish that 97/98 were running during this period since they fit my schedule much better. The "super train" will drop me in Savannah at 2:00 a.m. rather than 9:30 a.m. if I had taken the Meteor (everyone pray for it to be 3+ hours late that day!). Despite all this it was sure nice to be treated so well by the agent. I wish I had gotten her name. A class act for sure.

Folks, just to let you know, I am hearing from several sources that the trains will not leave New York or Miami until the 25. This is contrary (for the SB) to what the Newswire said. I should have confirmation on an exact date by the middle of next week when T&E jobs are put up for bid, OBS is already up for bid. OBS closes on the 18, one week before the 25, which would indicate to me it all comes down on the 25.

The first departure of 91 at the new time is on the 24th, according to the Amtrak website. They might be filling those additional positions for the 24th from the extra board...

Negative. They will probably take the combined crews from P09222 and P09823 and make that the crew for P09124.

just returned yesterday on #92.

Departed Ft. Lauderadale on 4/28 @ 9:25am. Consist was:

Power 147 & 64

Bags 1160 & 1704

Dorm 2506

Sleepers 62001, 62032, 62042 & 62041

Diners 8553 & 8527

Lounge 28004

Coaches 25046, 25061, 25065, 25030, 25095 & 25042.

Timekeeping was not to bad. Orlando @ 2:18pm (15 min. late). Jax @ 5:45pm (1 min. late) Columbia @10:59pm (28 min. early) Richmond 8:27 am (52 min. late).

Regional #88 was still in the station when we arrived and departed just ahead of us. #88 makes stops beween Richmond and D.C.(except Franconia/Springfield), #92 runs express to Alexandria. Seems to me it would make more sense to have held #88 for another 5 minutes and let #92 run to Alexandria.

Arrival in D.C. was at 11:13 am (1hr. 23min. late), departure was at 11:49am. arrival in the Big Apple at 3:32pm (1hr. 2min. late).

Southbound I went #95 to D.C. and #91 to Hollywood departing on 4/23.

#91 was on its normal schedule. I will be posting a trip report on OTOL.

Skip Howard said:
just returned yesterday on #92.Departed Ft. Lauderadale on 4/28 @ 9:25am. Consist was:

Power 147 & 64

Bags 1160 & 1704

Dorm 2506

Sleepers 62001, 62032, 62042 & 62041

Diners 8553 & 8527

Lounge 28004

Coaches 25046, 25061, 25065, 25030, 25095 & 25042.

Timekeeping was not to bad. Orlando @ 2:18pm (15 min. late). Jax @ 5:45pm (1 min. late) Columbia @10:59pm (28 min. early) Richmond 8:27 am (52 min. late).

Regional #88 was still in the station when we arrived and departed just ahead of us. #88 makes stops beween Richmond and D.C.(except Franconia/Springfield), #92 runs express to Alexandria. Seems to me it would make more sense to have held #88 for another 5 minutes and let #92 run to Alexandria.

Arrival in D.C. was at 11:13 am (1hr. 23min. late), departure was at 11:49am. arrival in the Big Apple at 3:32pm (1hr. 2min. late).

Southbound I went #95 to D.C. and #91 to Hollywood departing on 4/23.

#91 was on its normal schedule. I will be posting a trip report on OTOL.
Amtrak has a policy AFAIK that late trains stay behind of or give way to ontime trains. They rather have one train on time then two late trains. Only problem is the one you mention above. ;) :(

Chatter163 said:
With two dining cars, was one for sleeper passengers and the other for coach?  I will be riding the SuperSilver next month and am curious.
Yes, I was on it the day before Skip (I'll have a full report out very soon) and the first diner was for sleepers only and the second diner was for coaches only. It also is interesting to note in that the two soutbound "Supertrains" we past going north, plus our train, carried a refurbished Heritage Diner for the sleepers and a Temoinsa Diner rebuild for the coach passengers. Plus, I was very surprised to see quite a lot of patronage in the coach diner during every meal. It seems many coach passengers miss out because all the seatings get filled up by sleeper passengers. Amtrak should at some point down the road consider a seperate diner just for coach passengers as it would probably bring in some good revenue.

Amfleet said:
Chatter163 said:
With two dining cars, was one for sleeper passengers and the other for coach?  I will be riding the SuperSilver next month and am curious.
Yes, I was on it the day before Skip (I'll have a full report out very soon) and the first diner was for sleepers only and the second diner was for coaches only. It also is interesting to note in that the two soutbound "Supertrains" we past going north, plus our train, carried a refurbished Heritage Diner for the sleepers and a Temoinsa Diner rebuild for the coach passengers. Plus, I was very surprised to see quite a lot of patronage in the coach diner during every meal. It seems many coach passengers miss out because all the seatings get filled up by sleeper passengers. Amtrak should at some point down the road consider a seperate diner just for coach passengers as it would probably bring in some good revenue.
Odd I would have thought the first class passengers would get the Temoinsa varient.

Jon, the only problem with having two Diners full time is that they wouldn't fill it. Keep in mind the Super Train is two trains together (essentially) so they would barely fill either Diner to its capacity. Things are working pretty well right now as far as capacity goes on a normal train.

battalion51 said:
Jon, the only problem with having two Diners full time is that they wouldn't fill it. Keep in mind the Super Train is two trains together (essentially) so they would barely fill either Diner to its capacity. Things are working pretty well right now as far as capacity goes on a normal train.
True. Even more so this is why Gunn wants to purchase Diner/Lounges, not just seperate Diners and Lounges. This way you can bring in almost twice the revenue on one car.

Amfleet said:
If anyones interested, Amtrak now has a PDF format Silver Service timetable reflecting the temporary changes here.
Better late than never.

Wait, that could be the perfect motto for the Sunset Limited. :D

Viewliner said:
Amfleet said:
If anyones interested, Amtrak now has a PDF format Silver Service timetable reflecting the temporary changes here.
Better late than never.

Wait, that could be the perfect motto for the Sunset Limited. :D
Funny you say that because I was talking with a aconductor on the sunset a few weeks ago and he said that when I asked if he worked on the previous days train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back