The good ole days are back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
battalion51 said:
But there's no telling how they'll do things when they go to the big set. If it were me and the bag cars go in the back (like I think they should) I would put all the mediums in the rear coaches so that you only have to do a double spot if there is a rare middle of the night sleeper stop.
Bat51,

As a employee myself, that makes the most sense to me, too. But remember, this Amtrak! I am sure it will be loaded pretty screwed up at least for the first few days! I may be pleasantly surprised, though!

I've read this thread with much interest. While I don't rule out that it can possibly happen, as of now Amtrak's reservations site (which has been loaded with most of the data related to the timetable changes of April 26th) reflects the following:

• #91/92, the Silver Star, is still on its normal schedule (11:30 AM NYP departure, 10:35 AM MIA departure) for dates within the period of the curfew, and it is open for reservations.
  • #97/98, the Silver Meteor, is listed but is currently blacked out from any reservations.
Of course anything can change in the next 25 days, so we'll all watch this one closely! :)

SD, the computer has not been changed as of this point to reflect the new schedule. Until CSX, NS, and Amtrak soldify all the slots needed to run the train, schedules are finalized, jobs bid, and equipment pulled together for it, they will not change anything in ARROW.

I will be traveling north on the Silver Star at the very end of April (then to be the re-scheduled and combined Silver Meteor/Star) and have not recieved any word from Amtrak about changes in service. I've even called Amtrak customer service regarding the changes and they had no word either.

Like I said, they won't tell the public anything until everything is finalized. Remember, this is all still rumor within the company.

The NARP Hotline is further confirming my reports in its weekly Hotline. Also included on this Hotline is news regarding upcoming schedule changes and the availability of the Florida Rail Pass. Check it out here.

Well the ultimate confirmation of this former rumor, is now in. Amtrak has updated arrow to reflect the changes as outlined by Battalion51.

Train #'s 97/98 no longer exist within the system during the construction period.

Train #'s 91/92 now reflect new operating times, although at present are listed as sold out. That's probably just a reflection of the information still being loaded into arrow and the need to change those with reservations on 97/98. I suspect that once all that is accomplished, that 91/92 reservations will be opened up once again.

PS. Northbound arrival into NYP will be a half hour earlier than what B51 originally reported. The combined train will arrive at 2:30 PM, assuming of course that it's actually on time. :lol:

PPS. At present it looks like Amtrak has setup this change to run from April 23 thru June 22, at least in the southbound direction. Frankly it looks like they are still busy entering the info into the computer at this hour, as I'm even having problems actually getting the site to provide me with the info.

AlanB said:
PPS. At present it looks like Amtrak has setup this change to run from April 23 thru June 22, at least in the southbound direction. Frankly it looks like they are still busy entering the info into the computer at this hour, as I'm even having problems actually getting the site to provide me with the info.
Amtrak has also initiated a special connector train from Boston. It will be #1091 departing Boston at 5:15am and arriving into New York at 9:00am. One interesting note is the Mon-Fri Acela Express #2151 operates under a similar leaving Boston at 5:15am and arriving into New York at 8:45am. As of now, one can book space on #1091 without traveling on #91, but at a steep price of $280 OW from BOS-NYC.

The schedule of #1091 is as follows. I think Mon-Fri the connector is Acela Express #2151 with a car set aside for connecting #91 passengers. However, #1091 is shown arriving 15 mintues after #2151? Aslo as of now there's no #91 connector service on the weekend.

BOS - 5:15am

BBY - 5:20am

RTE - 5:29am

PVD - 5:50am

NLC - 6:35am

NHV - 7:21am

STM - 7:59am

NYP - 9:00am

Amfleet said:
However, #1091 is shown arriving 15 mintues after #2151? Aslo as of now there's no #91 connector service on the weekend.
Actually 9:00 AM is simply the Acela's departure time from NYP. They probably either made a mistake or maybe they did that deliberately just to keep people from trying to book the Acela Express through the back door and save money.

As for the weekend, that's no surprise since Amtrak has nothing in place for the weekend at that hour in Boston. Perhaps they will set up a connecting train, but me thinks that they will probably just abandon that market for the weekends. It's not worth the cost of a whole train for a handful of connecting passengers.

Frankly they could probably buy them hotel rooms in NYC for less money. Most likely though, they'll just put them on the ex-Federal.

AlanB said:
Actually 9:00 AM is simply the Acela's departure time from NYP. They probably either made a mistake or maybe they did that deliberately just to keep people from trying to book the Acela Express through the back door and save money.
As for the weekend, that's no surprise since Amtrak has nothing in place for the weekend at that hour in Boston. Perhaps they will set up a connecting train, but me thinks that they will probably just abandon that market for the weekends. It's not worth the cost of a whole train for a handful of connecting passengers.
I'm surprised #1091 wasn't blocked off altogether, but they still may be working out the details in ARROW.

Also, while you are correct that there's not normaly a connection for #91 on the weekends from Boston you can't forget there is/was a connection for #97. I left on a Sunday from Boston to connect with #97 in NYP in February and I can easily say that along with me at least 50 other passengers had come from Boston.

Amfleet said:
Also, while you are correct that there's not normaly a connection for #91 on the weekends from Boston you can't forget there is/was a connection for #97. I left on a Sunday from Boston to connect with #97 in NYP in February and I can easily say that along with me at least 50 other passengers had come from Boston.
Yes, but even 50 doesn't pay for a whole train, even if you ran one engine and one car. Especially with what Amtrak charges on those connecting trains. Remember how cheap your BOS-WAS ticket was when you caught the Capitol? Frankly it pays to just loose that business, other than the disapointment factor and the bad blood it creates with those stranded passengers.

Where's one of those CRC DMU's when you need one? :unsure:

AlanB said:
Amfleet said:
Yes, but even 50 doesn't pay for a whole train, even if you ran one engine and one car. Especially with what Amtrak charges on those connecting trains. Remember how cheap your BOS-WAS ticket was when you caught the Capitol? Frankly it pays to just loose that business, other than the disapointment factor and the bad blood it creates with those stranded passengers.

Where's one of those CRC DMU's when you need one? :unsure:
Then it would almost make sense to charter a bus from BOS to NYC for those 50 or some passengers.

From what I understand, train 67 will be the weekend connector to train 91, but the connection will be made at WAS instead of NYP so as to avoid making passengers leave 67 in the middle of the night.

Amfleet said:
Then it would almost make sense to charter a bus from BOS to NYC for those 50 or some passengers.
You're quite right. But would you be happy if Amtrak told you that you had to ride a bus? :eek:

railman said:
From what I understand, train 67 will be the weekend connector to train 91, but the connection will be made at WAS instead of NYP so as to avoid making passengers leave 67 in the middle of the night.
That makes a lot of sense and probably would be the correct answer.

Hmm, take away the name "Federal", but give them Silver Service passengers. :blink: I'm not sure if that's a fair trade. :unsure:

AlanB said:
Amfleet said:
You're quite right. But would you be happy if Amtrak told you that you had to ride a bus? :eek:
I'd be happy that I will be able to catch my train in NYC than having to miss the trip altogether. However, I had not thought of putting passengers on the Federal, though it's a long wait in Washington.

Amfleet said:
However, I had not thought of putting passengers on the Federal, though it's a long wait in Washington.
Maybe they'll let them wait in the Club Acela, since Amtrak is causing the inconvenience.

Why doesn't Amtrak give one of the four sleepers on the combined train to the Palmetto, running it like the Three Rivers, and then double up the Silver Meteor and Star on the Star's schedule, offering two sleeping car services south with a bit more flexibility for the passenger?

That would be a good idea but a pr mess after the curfew is over. Passengers who noticed sleepers available on that train for a 2 mnth period will complain that they are gone.(Not that this already dose not happen). Also most sleeper passengers are heading for Orlando. Unless the palmetto is rerouted via the a-line in florida then it will not be of very much use.

On the weekend boston connection-- would an M2 pair make sense for getting the boston riders for the meteor/star?(either Boston-NYP, or Boston-WAS)

I am travelling from BOS to FTL departing on the 23rd and returning on the 28th. Originally I had 97 south at NYP and 92 on the return. I checked the Amtrak reservations website this am and found 97 wiped out while 91 is still showing an 11:30 am departure. Northbound 92 is showing a 9:18 am departue from FTL. This change could impact my plans as I have to get my fathers car to the car carrier terminal first. This will make for an interesting consist.

I will be taking the "Star" out of Washington, DC, connecting from the Capitol Limited out of Chicago on the 25th and have been notified by Amtrak of the above change to the schedule. I will leave Washington at 1:30pm (schedule 4:30pm) and arrive in Columbia, SC at 11:30pm (schedule 2:45am). Sounds great to me....except will I have time to make the connection if the "Capitol" is late? :(

bsmith said:
I will be taking the "Star" out of Washington, DC, connecting from the Capitol Limited out of Chicago on the 25th and have been notified by Amtrak of the above change to the schedule. I will leave Washington at 1:30pm (schedule 4:30pm) and arrive in Columbia, SC at 11:30pm (schedule 2:45am). Sounds great to me....except will I have time to make the connection if the "Capitol" is late? :(
If the Capitol Limited is more than an hour late you will most likely miss your connection to the Silver Star. However, it is still considered a garanteed connection by Amtrak so they are obligated to getting you to your destination. One possibility may be to put you up overnight in a hotel in Washington, DC and put you on the next day's Silver Star. A couple other possibilities are either bussing or flying you to Columbia, SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back