The conductor never scanned my ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let y'all know, I just logged into my AGR account, and it seems that I got the points for the ride where my ticket wasn't scanned.

This actually makes sense. After all, even if I'm a no-show, I forfeit my money, which means that Amtrak gets it anyway, whether I actually took the ride or not. So why shouldn't they give me the AGR points?

Just to let y'all know, I just logged into my AGR account, and it seems that I got the points for the ride where my ticket wasn't scanned.

This actually makes sense. After all, even if I'm a no-show, I forfeit my money, which means that Amtrak gets it anyway, whether I actually took the ride or not. So why shouldn't they give me the AGR points?
Sounds like the Conductor just clicked you aboard without scanning your ticket, otherwise it would be an automatic cancelation and Amtrak would have gotten the money but you wouldn't have gotten the AGR points!

I just rode from Los Angeles to New Orleans without the conductor looking at my ticket.

I just rode from Los Angeles to New Orleans without the conductor looking at my ticket.
So long as you don't get kicked off the train, I suppose it doesn't matter. Now, if it were me and I had a connection in NOL to the CONO for Chicago in a nice bedroom, I would be very concerned so that I a) get my AGR points, b) no one tried to move into my room enroute, and c) I still had a reservation on the CONO.

But my guess is that someone verified you were onboard, or at least decided that EVERYONE who had reservations showed up (another problem all together).

In some cases the conductor simply checks with the sleeping car attendant to see which rooms are occupied. He or she can then manually mark those passengers as on board without having to check and scan the e-ticket or even see the passenger.

Didn't scan our to tickets on the CZ5 the other night...Creston to Martinez could be a lot of AGR points!

Remember, the train is the vacation.

I've been told that if I have a round-trip ticket, and it's not scanned on the first leg of the trip, I forfeit that second leg. That could be an issue at a crowded time if a person had a sleeper.

I wonder, is there any way to check (seeing there's a "scan all at this station" function for some conductors), short of ASKING someone? I'm enough of a worrier that it would bother me but I'm also shy enough that I'd feel uncomfortable going and looking for the conductor to see if s/he scanned my ticket.

(FWIW: I don't have a smartphone so I used printouts of the QR code on the e-ticket.)

I've been told that if I have a round-trip ticket, and it's not scanned on the first leg of the trip, I forfeit that second leg. That could be an issue at a crowded time if a person had a sleeper.

I wonder, is there any way to check (seeing there's a "scan all at this station" function for some conductors), short of ASKING someone? I'm enough of a worrier that it would bother me but I'm also shy enough that I'd feel uncomfortable going and looking for the conductor to see if s/he scanned my ticket.

(FWIW: I don't have a smartphone so I used printouts of the QR code on the e-ticket.)
I'm hoping to be asleep in my roomette when I switch from an AGR rez to a paid rez. If I can't get the paid rez scanned before my bedtime, I'm thinking about taping my p/o to the door so the conductor will know I'm there. :p Hopefully s/he'll scan it through the glass or manual input it.

I'm hoping to be asleep in my roomette when I switch from an AGR rez to a paid rez. If I can't get the paid rez scanned before my bedtime, I'm thinking about taping my p/o to the door so the conductor will know I'm there. :p Hopefully s/he'll scan it through the glass or manual input it.
I wouldn't do that as anyone passing by will see your information. In this case when the Conductor sees the room is occupied and door locked, he or he should realize you are there and not to disturb you; they can click you in manually.

I wouldn't do that as anyone passing by will see your information. In this case when the Conductor sees the room is occupied and door locked, he or he should realize you are there and not to disturb you; they can click you in manually.
Oh, I plan to be careful with what info I "show" IF I do this. It's just something that I'm thinking about, but probably won't need to do.

Betty: Before you go to sleep just let your SCA and Conductor( changes in TOL IINM) know about the Change from AGR to Paid, they'll handle it and you can snooze away with no worry!

Just went HUD -NYP and the conductor did not scan me. Only about 25 people on board. In the station, the app no longer would show my ticket, it must've no-showed me quick! Station agent could not fix. Directed me tob a phone, all recordings. I had 10 minutes left, so I bought my next leg cash. Hope 1800amtrak can straighten this out as prices are a lot higher now than when I reserved, so I'm paying more than double because of conductor error.

I will be taking a cross-country trip in late October and had to get paper tickets issued due to one segment of the trip connecting via Thruway bus connection(Phoenix-Flagstaff). All segments traveling westbound and return segments eastbound will be in sleeper accommodations. I guess this would be a case where the conductor would have to use the old-fashioned ticket punchers.Would there be a reason to worry if on one of those segments the paper ticket was not punched? If that happened, would my remaining segments be cancelled?The station agent who gave me the paper tickets stated that they were classified as revenue tickets with the same value as cash and would not/could not be replaced if lost/stolen. I will be heading out to FLG and certainly would not want to get stranded out there with my return segments cancelled because some conductor never punched my ticket!

Be sure they tear off the long ticket part of the paper ticcket so the rest of your Rez isn't canceled and you get credit for the trip!

Punching your stub, which you get to keep, is just for show now since e- ticketing started!

And paper tickets are the same as Cash, take care of them!!

Last edited by a moderator:
** adds this to list of things to worry about **

I've never had this problem before, but I will definitely make sure my ticket is scanned in December!

It is a real headache on the NEC say if you are traveling from Metropark to Philly. About a third of the time on such journeys I have had to chase down a Conductor to get my ticket scanned. Usually always on very crowded trains.

It is a real headache on the NEC say if you are traveling from Metropark to Philly. About a third of the time on such journeys I have had to chase down a Conductor to get my ticket scanned. Usually always on very crowded trains.
Between WIL & PHL I will sometimes sit in the cafe car. Don't have to chase them down, just flag them down as they go from BC to the other coaches. I've even sat across from their table.

If you are in Sleeper, some Conductors simply check with the SCA and click you in without stopping by your room. This happened to me a few times this Summer and all segments showed up on my AGR tally (though as 0 Points since it was an AGR Redemption).

While I don't mind a Conductor doing it that way. I would hate to have to track down the SCA or Conductor to find out if I was checked in. The first time this happened to me was this time last year on the LSL from BOS. All the rooms boarded at BOS or BBY. So it was easy to be checked in. On the return the conductor came by the room though.

Just went HUD -NYP and the conductor did not scan me. Only about 25 people on board. In the station, the app no longer would show my ticket, it must've no-showed me quick! Station agent could not fix. Directed me tob a phone, all recordings. I had 10 minutes left, so I bought my next leg cash. Hope 1800amtrak can straighten this out as prices are a lot higher now than when I reserved, so I'm paying more than double because of conductor error.
Amtrak HAS to fix this problem. Aren't you glad you didn't connect to something like a bedroom accomodation that got cancelled and picked up by a new reservation? The gate agents in NYP should very well be trained and empowered to fix this issue immediately. No telling the anger this will rile up if this sort of thing happens during Thanksgiving!

A user asked earlier in this thread that I don't think I saw a reply too, and I wonder the same thing:

Is there a way you can find out, while on board the train, if the conductor used "scan all" for your sleeper car; or just in general, if you were properly scanned? Without having to go up to the conductor?

And how big of a concern should this be for the common passenger in a sleeper, from your past experiences since this e-ticketing craze began>

Right after this "wonderful" policy went into effect - I got to deal with unexpected drama. Conductor on Illinois Lincoln Service never came around to scan ticket. In past I have gotten attitude when asking if tickets would get pulled - or I get story that all has been handled - name checked off on master list - which sometimes is true.

When I boarded same route to head home female conductor comes into Business Class to do her job - unlike her co-workers. I have my E-ticket out and ready to be scanned. She tells me my ticket had been cancelled - then said something about how I had traveled on a day I hadn't.

Once I explained my ticket hadn't been pulled - she figured out what had happened and fixed everything. Unfortunately I have never seen this conductor on that route again. If it had been one of the regulars - I would have been in for a really bad day.

I have a feeling this policy change causes more drama than it fixes.

St Louis station Amtrak employees are not checking or pulling tickets for bus trips forced upon us do to track work. Springfield Illinois staff are hit and miss with pulling / checking tickets for forced bus. Last trip a few days ago - ID checks were done to check passenger list.

On every recent forced bus trip we have had to call to get rewards points credit for travel. Online method has yet to work for us - always call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back