The Canadian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also somehow have the impression, which may be inaccurate, that the Canadian for example, has a much more dense set of flag stops than equivalent Amtrak routes.
They'll stop at nothing more developed than a rural highway crossing if you request it far enough in advance. It's kind of amazing actually. My understanding is that Amtrak has been cutting back on both flag stops and primary stops but I'm not sure why.
Yeah. Red Lake Road comes to mind as such a stop. My neighbor in the Sleeper on my ride westbound traveled all the way from Toronto to that flag stop to visit her parents who came to pick her up. She was delightful company on the way, and the train stopped long enough at the flag stop for me to even get introduced to her parents. The station is a gravel parking lot off of Red Lake Road at the point where the road crosses the railroad. She said she was returning by Coach a few days later on the eastbound.

That was an eye opening example of the basic transportation function that the Canadian serves in spite of everyone here saying that it is just a tourist train. I bet no "tourist" ever gets off or on at these dozens of flag stops.

I had the pleasure of doing a four nighter once. This was in the early 70s. Out on the CN Super Continental, which was a four night run, and back on CP Canadian, a three night run. I enjoyed all of it.I was in a roomette on each train. That is the type of roomette which would be called "heritage" today on Amtrak, fully designed for one person.
Were the single roomettes then like the ones in the Manor cars used in the Canadian today where you have to get off your bed and stow it into the wall tog et access to the Commode?
As many older style roomettes as I have ridden, I really do not remember. I do not recall it being a problem, I guess the larger luggage was slid into a side.

I also somehow have the impression, which may be inaccurate, that the Canadian for example, has a much more dense set of flag stops than equivalent Amtrak routes.
They'll stop at nothing more developed than a rural highway crossing if you request it far enough in advance. It's kind of amazing actually. My understanding is that Amtrak has been cutting back on both flag stops and primary stops but I'm not sure why.
It use to be 48 hours notice but now as long as a reservation is made before the Canadian leaves a major station where a passenger manifest can be generated, it will stop.

On other trains such as the service in Quebec to Jonquiere and Sennterre, the timetable footnote says “stops on request when traveller is seen by train staff”

I did the trip to Jonquiere (sounds like Jonk-e-air) in February a couple of years ago......here’s an excerpt from that trip report:

At Hervey Jct. the train splits: F40 #6401 uncouples and pulls forward onto the La Tuque Subdivision. The train is also split between the baggage cars. After we depart with 6453 now leading, 6401 will return and couple to the remaining cars and head for Senneterre.

Now onto Riviere-a-Pierre and as we approach the stop the Service Manager comes through and asks us to move items off adjacent seats as he says he is going to need every seat as the train will be full. The roads end here and the station parking lot was packed. It’s Friday afternoon and many were heading off to a weekend at their camps, cabins and some pretty nice chalets in the woods. The train is their only access. The baggage car door is opened and the supplies are loaded: boxes of groceries, cases of beer, skis, backpacks etc.

Everyone is speaking French but when my new seatmate realizes I only speak a few words, immediately switches to English and we have an interesting conversation about the local area. Some passengers are only aboard for a few minutes before we begin stopping.....sometimes at a small shelter or only a milepost sign. Some stops are very close, Pearl Lake and Hirondell for example are a half kilometer and a minute apart. This is a real personalized service with most people telling the Service Manager to be watching for them returning Sunday afternoon. At Stadacona we are met by several Skidoos from a camp across a lake. Several get off and unload their supplies from the baggage cars. The rest of the afternoon is spent following a winding white-water river or deep in the bush. (This would be a nice trip in the summer or especially in the fall with all the maples and birches in autumn colours)

DSC00442.JPG

DSC00439.JPG

But we are out of the woods near Chambord just as fast as we entered and into the open fields of an agricultural area surrounding Lac St. Jean. We followed the shoreline of the lake for awhile (it’s about 30 km across) then on into the Saguenay Region which Jonquiere is a part of. Population 150,000. Its an industrial area of hydro-electric developments, aluminum manufacturing and pulp & paper.

DSC00444.JPG

It was just getting dark as we arrived in Jonquiere at 5:50..... about a half hour late at a very modern station with a covered platform and part of a transportation centre shared with the local transit authority. It was starting to snow so I just grabbed a taxi to the Holiday Inn.

DSC00446.JPG

Last edited:
Are the panorama dome cars replacing the budd skyline cars entirely? I enjoy the forward view of the classic dome cars, and am looking at this for next summer. Hopefully, I would have a choice.
Not at all......only supplementing the other domes. See the other post here on the “New” Canadian

I had the pleasure of doing a four nighter once. This was in the early 70s. Out on the CN Super Continental, which was a four night run, and back on CP Canadian, a three night run. I enjoyed all of it.I was in a roomette on each train. That is the type of roomette which would be called "heritage" today on Amtrak, fully designed for one person.
Were the single roomettes then like the ones in the Manor cars used in the Canadian today where you have to get off your bed and stow it into the wall tog et access to the Commode?
As many older style roomettes as I have ridden, I really do not remember. I do not recall it being a problem, I guess the larger luggage was slid into a side.
They are still running the same cars, Manor and Chateau, they always have, with the same roomettes. The Manors have "regular" roomettes where the beds fold into the wall, and you have lift the bed to get to the "combolet" (the Budd term for the little square commode/footrest). The Chateaus have duplex roomettes where alternating rooms have beds that fold down from the wall (upper duplex), or slide under the adjacent (upper duplex) roomette (lower). In either case, you have to stow the bed to get to the pot.

I will be taking the Canadian in early December. I have read posts that indicate that coffee and tea will be provided in the Park Car 24/7. Does anyone know if green tea is provided?

Also, does anyone know if one can store luggage in the Vancouver train station? I will be arriving on the Canadian in the morning and leaving on the Cascades in the late afternoon and would like to explore Vancouver without my luggage (weather permitting).

Thank you.

Even if there isn't any green tea set out you should be able to ask for some teabags before last call and have them ready for you. Like any other long distance train The Canadian sort of closes up and goes to sleep late at night. You may see a crew member now and again when approaching a stop but for the most part it's quiet and deserted. This included the Park Car on my trip. I don't remember the specifics but it was possible to make tea on your own when no staff was around. According to VIA there is baggage storage in the Vancouver station during the following periods.

Monday Wednesday Saturday

08h00 to 13h00

Tuesday Friday Sunday

12h00 to 20h00

Penny,

I recall a wooden box with various types of tea sitting on a table in the rear lounge area, where the car tapers to a curve. I didn't really pay attention to just what types of tea where in the box, but there were several choices. So the odds are probably in your favor that one is Green, but I sure wouldn't want to promise you that.

The attendant that works the Park car goes to bed at either 11 PM or Midnight, don't recall which, but they don't stay up all night. I suspect that they leave the coffee/hot water dispensers out on the table and full at least initially. Can't swear that you'd still find it full of hot water however at say 4 AM.

And yes, they most certainly do provide luggage storage. We took advantage of that when we did our trip. Mind you since we were leaving from Vancouver we dropped off our luggage in the morning and went out for the day. When we came back we just went right to the lounge and had no need to worry about our bags at all. Our checked bags had of course already gone to the baggage car and our carry-on's they had already placed in our room for us. So all we carried onto the train was ourselves and my laptop backpack. I believe that they provide the same luxury in Toronto too, but I'm not 100% sure.

Of course you can't avail yourself of that luxury in Vancouver, but again they should still hold your bags for you for the day.

Remember to use the first class lounge in Toronto to wait for your train.

I agree with those who say the panorama cars stick out like a sore thumb compared to rest of the carefully matched and maintained rolling stock, but they're nothing compared to this monstrosity.

IMAG0367.jpg
You (and many others) will be happy to know that 6414 finally entered CAD in Montreal on November 21, 2011 and will emerge in the spring in the green Renaissance scheme!.......and completely re-built too......note the HEP compartment constructed on the rear platform in the photo below.

Last edited by a moderator:
You (and many others) will be happy to know that 6414 finally entered CAD in Montreal on November 21, 2011 and will emerge in the spring in the green Renaissance scheme!.......and completely re-built too......note the HEP compartment constructed on the rear platform in the photo below.
Excellent News! ^_^

I'm on Canadian about 90 miles west of winnipeg at rivers. There is a freight derailment. Anyone know sanything

I'm on Canadian about 90 miles west of winnipeg at rivers. There is a freight derailment. Anyone know sanything
We are now in Edmonton 10 hours late. :(
You mean you're going to pass through some of the best scenery at night? :(

Do you also have a connection at risk in Vancouver?

Hang in there Penny! :help:
I was in the dome car, along with everyone else, traveling through the mountains. We were able to see some very nice scenery. I am in Jasper now. Yes, my VAC connection to SEA is at risk, but I was just told by the service manager that i should make it. I sure hope so because I taking the CS at 9:45 the next morning from SEA - i hope.

I was in the dome car, along with everyone else, traveling through the mountains. We were able to see some very nice scenery. I am in Jasper now. Yes, my VAC connection to SEA is at risk, but I was just told by the service manager that i should make it. I sure hope so because I taking the CS at 9:45 the next morning from SEA - i hope.
While not ideal, there is a 5:45 AM Amtrak Thruway Bus to Seattle that gets in 45 minutes before the Coast Starlight's departure.

Of course that means finding a hotel in Vancouver and cancelling the one in Seattle.

While not ideal, there is a 5:45 AM Amtrak Thruway Bus to Seattle that gets in 45 minutes before the Coast Starlight's departure.

Of course that means finding a hotel in Vancouver and cancelling the one in Seattle.
We made it in just before 4pm and I am waiting to check in with customs at 4:30. :)

I might be getting a voucher for 50% of my fare since the train was more than 4 hours late. It looks like I have a VIA trip in my future.

:hi: Glad you made it Penny! Bet its warmer even if its damp in Vancouver, actually Vancouver generally is dryer and warmer than Seattle in the Winter, its protected by Vancouver Island!! hope the trip down to SEA goes well and Customs isnt a hassle, the way you are dressed they might think youre a Canadian eh!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess youll be riding "The Ocean" to the Maritimes when you use your discount coupon??? :wub:

:hi: Glad you made it Penny! Bet its warmer even if its damp in Vancouver, actually Vancouver generally is dryer and warmer than Seattle in the Winter, its protected by Vancouver Island!! hope the trip down to SEA goes well and Customs isnt a hassle, the way you are dressed they might think youre a Canadian eh!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess youll be riding "The Ocean" to the Maritimes when you use your discount coupon??? :wub:
I never got out of the VAC station. I am sitting on the cascades now waiting to depart. They will not sell alcohol until they leave the station. :(

Yes, I am thinking about a trip on the Ocean next year or another Canadian trip - eastbound.

Glad you made it with time to spare, even if you missed out on seeing Vancouver.

Maybe you can console yourself with views of Vancouver, Washington on the Coast Starlight tomorrow. :lol:

Back