Thanksgiving Week Dome/Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 10031 is running in Hiawatha service. I expect someone (cough cough) to have a report (possibly including getting into or witnessing a disruption
default_happy.png
) and hopefully pictures. The set has it all: Horizons, Amfleets, a Charger, a Cabbage and a dome car.

Sounds photogenic to me!
default_happy.png

I really wish the IP dome ran through something more scenic or in greater daylight (south) and slightly later hours (north.)

I took a short trip aboard Ocean View a couple of years ago on the altered Friday runs, when it didn't get switched over from the Hiawatha. About a dozen or so passengers showed up at Union Station, expecting to ride it south. When we discovered it wasn't hooked up to 303, a friendly ticket agent figured out where it was, and offered alternative accommodation aboard the runs to Milwaukee. I was only able to go to Glenview, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I was interested in taking the trip to St. Louis last year, but could only confirm the dome was here the week of Thanksgiving, as publicity was so minimal. At which point all seats were high bucket, anyway, and I had another obligation. Expecting the usual, I got out ahead of it this year. Alas..

But I still think a trip to Springfield is in the offing next Spring. And, perhaps, St. Louis when the weather is warmer and it would be pleasant to walk around the mounds of Cahokia'
Make that "get terribly sunburnt at Cahokia." Pleasant, educational, and too darn hot! Sunscreen, if anyone ever goes. (The site is reasonably accessible by public transit and walking.)

Wow, that's a nasty cough there Thirdrail7, I hope you get that looked at.
default_wink.png

I have been busy riding the dome multiple times each day, but did make a quick video to post.

https://youtu.be/pxyqW6rCwi4

The 10031 is running in Hiawatha service. I expect someone (cough cough) to have a report (possibly including getting into or witnessing a disruption
default_happy.png
) and hopefully pictures. The set has it all: Horizons, Amfleets, a Charger, a Cabbage and a dome car.

Sounds photogenic to me!
default_happy.png

Well done!!! What can you tell us about the passengers? Did they notice? I assume it was open seating. Were there any exceptions?

As for my cough, it is getting worse!! HA!!!!

Well done!!! What can you tell us about the passengers? Did they notice? I assume it was open seating. Were there any exceptions?

As for my cough, it is getting worse!! HA!!!!
I only noticed two or three people all day riding because of the dome but I'll attribute to the lack of advertisement about it being on. Not sure why that was the case but maybe word will get out sooner next year on what days and trainsets it's on. Apparently I'm the chosen one who gets to be in the know from the Amtrak God's...

Cough. Dang I'm catching what you have here.

Yes open seating and the domes seats were not factored into the total number of revenue seats available. Several Hiawathas did indeed sell out. You could still buy a 10 ride and get on a sold out train.

I guess it's just viewed as an extra car and no big deal by some but wish more word would have gotten out. It's awesome sitting watching the signals on your home Amtrak route.

Is she still running out of Chi? What line(s)/times?
It was supposed to be on longer but got pulled a day or two early so the PA could be repaired. It's now deadheading on #7 to be part of the Leavenworth to Seattle WA Christmas Train. You can ride it there the next few weeks. Then presumably back to it's home in LAX.

Is she still running out of Chi? What line(s)/times?
It was supposed to be on longer but got pulled a day or two early so the PA could be repaired. It's now deadheading on #7 to be part of the Leavenworth to Seattle WA Christmas Train. You can ride it there the next few weeks. Then presumably back to it's home in LAX.
Not to make you all jealous, buuuuuuuut.... I will have plenty of time in the dome all to myself this weekend. I'm working the Snow Train, and dropping off all the passengers in Leavenworth we will continue the 30 minutes or so to Wenatchee for the equipment to be serviced, and it sounds like we sit there for about 3 hours before returning to Leavenworth.

Back