THANK YOU! Upgraded to a Room, thanks to your advice!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BethChicago

Train Attendant
Thanks to everyone on here for all the wisdom concerning fares, benefits of sleeper rooms, etc.

We're heading west on the CZ (Chicago to Grand Junction) for Thanksgiving and figure the train will be pretty full. We booked 4 tickets in coach about a month ago but saw there was still at least one Family Bedroom available. But out of our price range at $1,375. But considering it is a 26 hour trip (and that's if it is on time!) and having made the trip once before, we were jonesing for the room.

Thinking through the advantages that I've read about on here - obviously the food included and the beds, and even the stuff like the Metropolitan Lounge access in Chicago....plus the info that you all have provided concerning keeping an eye on fluctuating rates, I decided to check again on the room rates. The outbound (CHI to GJC) dropped $300, just enough to wedge it into our budget!

We saw the beautiful "Pioneer Zephyr" at the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry yesterday, so maybe we had good train mojo due to that!

So THANKS to all of you experienced train folks, for all of the wisdom you've provided! Our kiddos (7 & 9) and the hubs & I should have a nice ride west, and mommy doesn't have to pack PB&J for dinner!

Beth

Good idea. After Denver you don't want to be in your sleeper. You'll want to be in the Sightsser car and spend most of the day there. Have breakfast before Denver and then do coach.

With two kids, having that sleeper for the day is still going to be awesome, and the cost difference is probably not *that* significant (3 coach fares vs the difference in the family bedroom for 2adults/2kids chi-den vs chi-gjt)- not enough to make up for having to feed everyone and having to move everyone out of the room early, for me, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
With two kids, having that sleeper for the day is still going to be awesome, and the cost difference is probably about $50 ($50 coach fare for adults, $50 for the two kids, so $150 coach fare and I'm seeing a $200 difference in the Family Bedroom for a randomly selected date where CHI->GJT is ~$1150 and CHI->DEN is ~$950). $50 *nearly* pays for lunch for a family of four...
Good Point!!! Keep Checking Amsnag!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back