Texas Eagle Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
warning you don't want to sleep in the dorm sleeper.i slept in dorm car top floor.it's next to engine.all night long i heard the train horn.
I agree with you, except the telling others what they want or don't want. After all, some people feel uneasy without a lot of noise.

But I think it is fair to say that the transdorm on the TE/CNO is noisier that any other car on a long distance train. At least on other trains, you have a second engine and baggage car between you and the noise.

My wife and I will be on the Texas Eagle next week from Chicago to LA - a bedroom in the through car. We are a bit concerned about Amtrak food (as good as it may be) for that long. Do they have any healthy options on the menu these days?
Just out of curiosity, why not take the Southwest Chief?
http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/509/91/Texas-Eagle-Dining-Menu-1113.pdf

With sufficient early notice, you may make special dietary requests.

http://www.amtrak.com/onboard-the-train-meals-dining

Last edited by a moderator:
warning you don't want to sleep in the dorm sleeper.i slept in dorm car top floor.it's next to engine.all night long i heard the train horn.
I agree with you, except the telling others what they want or don't want. After all, some people feel uneasy without a lot of noise.

But I think it is fair to say that the transdorm on the TE/CNO is noisier that any other car on a long distance train. At least on other trains, you have a second engine and baggage car between you and the noise.
Truth. I had a terrible time sleeping on the TE, whereas I never have issues on the SWC. That second loco/baggage car buffer really does help.

As far as SCA service, my SCA was attentive and came by quite often, so in my experience, the transdorm didn't feel neglected. I'm sure it depends on who you get, though, just like any other LD train.

I liked the restroom/shower combos on the upper level, and it was nice only having a few pax in that car. Other than the horn, it seemed much quieter. I've been thinking about requesting the transdorm for our yearly SWC trip.

I tried to reserve the transdorm recently and the reservations agent said she couldn't do it, that the transdorm rooms only opened up when the regular supply had sold out for your trip. Has anybody managed to request the transdorm?

We have taken the TE in the transdorm and found it just fine. Attendant serves the other car, and left us be for most of the trip, but was there when needed )schedule meals, change room config). Noise was not a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back