Texas Eagle discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will be riding June 1-2 out of Chicago to Austin and received email notification of the bustitution from Longview to FtW. We briefly thought of canceling and flying, but God, we hate airports enough to prefer a mere five hour bus ride.

Can we expect the cafe to be open and fully functional when we reboard the Eaglette in FtW? Alternatively, what food is available in the station area?

what food is available in the station area?
I had wondered that, too, when I was booking our October trip to FTW on the Eaglette. Per Google Maps, there appear to be several restaurants within a few blocks of the station; have no personal knowledge of any of them, though. (And our hotel in FTW is only 2 blocks away!)

I haven't been there in several years, but I believe there's a subway in the station.
It's always very busy since Greyhound and City buses, as well as TRE and Tex Rail,share the Intermodel Station.

Sadly the Hot Dog Vendor that used to operate close to the Station entrance was run off by the City!🤬

We will be riding June 1-2 out of Chicago to Austin and received email notification of the bustitution from Longview to FtW. We briefly thought of canceling and flying, but God, we hate airports enough to prefer a mere five hour bus ride.

Can we expect the cafe to be open and fully functional when we reboard the Eaglette in FtW? Alternatively, what food is available in the station area?

Ft Worth has a good Subway restaurant there, and a couple of vending machines. Nothing else within a 3 block walk. I got food from Subway for a couple of years when I was commuting from FTW to AUS. You could conceivably use their website and order for pickup if it looks like time will be tight. About a 50 yard walk.

I ALWAYS presume the Snack Bar will not be open before Cleburne. Of course, there is still only FLEX garbage for food. Breakfast Omelette is pretty good, you might be able to choke down the Beef Tips or the Pasta, but prepare to be disappointed. My daughter likes the Seafood Pasta for some unfathomable reason.

Usually the attendant will substitute a couple of hot dogs or even the pizza from the Snack Bar. YMMY depending on the attitude of the attendant. The Hot Dogs are Hebrew National, and extremely good. You can ask them to not nuke the bun, it tends to dry them excessively.

Be of good cheer, you will have GREAT Diner food and service when you leave San Antonio. And a Sightseer lounge, and Atendants with generally better humor.

Last edited:
I had wondered that, too, when I was booking our October trip to FTW on the Eaglette. Per Google Maps, there appear to be several restaurants within a few blocks of the station; have no personal knowledge of any of them, though. (And our hotel in FTW is only 2 blocks away!)
Make sure you visit the Railhead Smokehouse for BBQ. A short UBER or LYFT ride away. WELL worth it.
Joe T Garcias' Tex Mex is one of the more famous Tex Mex restaurants inn Ft. Worth. It is well above average.

Former Ftw resident and frequent return traveler: time permitting, I’d do Razoo’s (Cajun)—it’s walkable downtown; is a chain but fun. If you’re inclined to grab an Uber/lyft, head to Esperanza’s (Tex Mex) on Park Ave. (There’s a sister location off North Main St but I prefer the Park location.) They have a Mexican bakery; grab some stuff for the train ride. If you’re a native Texan and need your Whataburger fix, you can Uber for that. Not “close close” but doable. You can nab bar-b-que downtown easy peasy; while I’m no fan of The Cheesecake Factory—their menus are too skimpy—many people are; there’s a walkable location not far from the station.

Former Ftw resident and frequent return traveler: time permitting, I’d do Razoo’s (Cajun)—it’s walkable downtown; is a chain but fun. If you’re inclined to grab an Uber/lyft, head to Esperanza’s (Tex Mex) on Park Ave. (There’s a sister location off North Main St but I prefer the Park location.) They have a Mexican bakery; grab some stuff for the train ride. If you’re a native Texan and need your Whataburger fix, you can Uber for that. Not “close close” but doable. You can nab bar-b-que downtown easy peasy; while I’m no fan of The Cheesecake Factory—their menus are too skimpy—many people are; there’s a walkable location not far from the station.
Doggone! I forgot about Esperanza's. Joe T's OK butt a little overhyped. You are spot on. Except maybe about The Railhead <insert smiley emoticon here>.
Highball!

Every "fix my failing restaurant" show I've ever seen boils down to "don't be the Cheesecake Factory" but what really chaps my caboose is that even the Cheesecake Factory would be a massive improvement over AmFlex. At the prices Amtrak charges for Eaglet sleeper service this fact is simply absurd.

Last edited:
I rode the Tex-eagle Chi-San Antonio last year Thanksgiving week. The on-time arrival at Fort-Worth gave me about two hours to walk the platform and "dine" at the very decent Subway in the station. A very welcome break, as a few other passengers also found. Some of us (not elderly, late middle-aged) people like every chance to stretch our legs, this station stop is a winner for us.

In the When it Rains, it Pours category for the Poor Texas Eaglete:

Per Amteak Alerts for Wed 5/22:

Due to a Freight Derailment today between Temple and Ft Worth, Train #22 ( 5/22) will terminate @ Temple with alternate Bus Transportation for passengers going North and East of Temple being provided.

The same procedure will apply for Train #21 which arrives into Longview around 832Am each morning.

No time frame has been announced by UP or Amtrak as to when the derailment will be cleared so as to resume Train service between Ft Worth and Temple.

Stops that will be served by the Buses include McGregor,Cleburne,Ft Worth,Dallas and Mineola.

Upon reaching Longview, passengers continuing North will board Train #22 which is the Train #21 consist that arrived into Longview on Tues 5/21.

This is due to the Month Long UP Trackwork which is occurring between Longview and Dallas, which includes Bustitutions between Longview and Ft Worth for Trains #21/#22.

Early reports suggest high winds caused a 40 car train to derail in Stuttgart, AR, disrupting the Texas Eagle. Amtrak suggested a possible HAZMAT. That does not seem to be confirmed. We’ll see what happens today.

Local media report: https://www.thv11.com/article/news/...ansas/91-3094c9af-403c-46b4-81d5-7a23232b661b

ASM links with service notices:
https://dixielandsoftware.net/cgi-bin/gettrain.pl?seltrain=21&selyear=2024&selmonth=05&selday=25
https://dixielandsoftware.net/cgi-bin/gettrain.pl?seltrain=22&selyear=2024&selmonth=05&selday=25

I was supposed to take the TE this evening (5/26), got an automated call a bit before 10 pm CDT last night saying it was cancelled, ending in St. Louis, with NO alternative transport. Luckily I can delay traveling for a couple days and made a new reservation for a roomette Tuesday. Got my money for the cancelled trip refunded but the new ticket was more expensive (womp womp). Hopefully things will be back running by Tuesday

Here's the delay message for 22(25):
_
_
_ **** D E L A Y S ****
_
_ 05/25/24 7:02pm EDT
_ Service Adjustment: As of 5:55 pm CT due to a freight train
_ derailment carrying hazardous materials a track hold has
_ been placed north of Hope (HOP). Train 22 is now canceled
_ between Fort Worth (FTW) and St. Louis (STL) with no alternate
_ transportation. Train 22 will operate between St. Louis
_ (STL) and Chicago (CHI). For further assistance please contact
_ 1-800-USA-RAIL.

21(25) has a similar message.

Is there really no alternate transportation? I used to worry about making connections in Chicago, but having to detrain in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a potential voucher is of little consolation.

Amtrak must do better when disruptions like these happen.

jb

Well, I just had to remake my Tuesday reservation for Thursday; they canceled trains AT LEAST THROUGH TUESDAY with NO alternate transportation between St. Louis and Ft. Worth.

I really hope this isn’t flooding causing it or I may have to change yet again but it’s unthinkable they’re not doing any alternate: apparently you’re on your own for beyond St. Louis

I mean I did the bus bridge from St Louis thing a dozen years ago and it was a nightmare but it’s wild to just leave all the passengers hanging

Well, I just had to remake my Tuesday reservation for Thursday; they canceled trains AT LEAST THROUGH TUESDAY with NO alternate transportation between St. Louis and Ft. Worth.

I really hope this isn’t flooding causing it or I may have to change yet again but it’s unthinkable they’re not doing any alternate: apparently you’re on your own for beyond St. Louis

I mean I did the bus bridge from St Louis thing a dozen years ago and it was a nightmare but it’s wild to just leave all the passengers hanging
Amtrak could run the Eaglete on the old Lone Star Route, Ft Worth to Oklahoma City ( Heartland Flyer)to Kansas City ( on the SW Chief Route) to St Louis ( River Runner Route) and then to Chicago.

With the Continuing Bustitution already effecting passengers between Longview and Ft Worth, only the Texarkana, Arkansas and Popular Bluff stops would not have service!

Of course this would require getting permission of the Class 1s owning the Tracks, and a readjusted Schedule for the various Trains involved on these routes.

Probably not Worth it for a week, but then perhaps having the old Lone Star Route between Chicago and Ft Worth return permanently sounds like a good idea!

Last edited:
OKC to Newton is a bus though. Otherwise it's bookable with very tight connections. Shortest is the bus connection to Newton from OKC at around 30 minutes
I actually looked into doing this one fine day JFTHOI. But IIRC the bus connection is in the wee hours of the morning. Waiter, Check please!

I actually looked into doing this one fine day JFTHOI. But IIRC the bus connection is in the wee hours of the morning. Waiter, Check please!
When I made the great western circle trip (DEN>DAV>LAX>SAS>FTW>OKC>NEW>RAT>DEN) the transfer in OKC from late-running Heartland Flyer was quick and the bus made up time smoothly. Passengers in Newton were fairly upbeat, given the time of day.

Well, I can’t tell what’s up. The robot chat on the Amtrak app told me 21 was totally cancelled today (not even doing CHI to STL) but that 22 was expected shortly in Dallas. The track-train is just borked for that one and they call it 21.

For a while I was seeing a “21” just sitting in St Louis

I’m hoping this is an “equipment is not where it needs to be” issue that they can work out tonight and tomorrow or else I will have to change my ticket again.

I’m healing a knee injury so taking the bus is not desirable (and my car is in Mineola, where Greyhound doesn’t go) and it’s a bit beyond my ability to logistic right now to consider flying to DFW and either take a ruinously expensive Uber or try to coerce a friend to drive me from there to Mineola.

Rental car? Maybe, but that’s awfully far to drive alone in an unfamiliar car.

I wish Amtrak were more up front but then again, maybe they don’t know when this will be untangled

Well, I received an updated ticket (refunding a tiny bit for the LVW to MIN bus service, which I already knew about) and a text alert about the LVW to MIN bus, so I am taking that to mean the TE is once again a full route.

I have tickets for tomorrow and I really do want to get home. Had to pay the extra for a bedroom on short notice (not sure my knee would deal well with coach) , but oh well: at least I am getting home

I stand corrected on the Zephyr versus Hiawatha, I knew that but it wasn't front of mind (at least I didn't call it the Borealis 😉). And I frankly didn't know whether the trains were joined/split at Minneapolis or SPUD. I just knew they were combined between the twin cities and Chicago. It makes sense, SPUD had more track space, than the GN Minneapolis station, IIRC. Did the Afternoon Zephyr go to Minneapolis or terminate in St. Paul? It kind of doesn't make sense to split it off and then just run it a couple miles.
The morning and afternoon Zephyrs ran as separate trains between Minneapolis and St Paul

Back