Texas Eagle Dining Car - video of my experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed viewing your video. Thanks for posting it. I did not realize that the CCC diner was set-up differently than other Amtrak LD diners. Actually, I rather like the layout as I viewed it.

(A very "small potatoes" item that I saw in your video was the views of the Whole Wheat Biscuit served at Breakfast. I have never ordered it and my table dining companions also never did. So, I wondered what it was like. Looked good. Was it?)

I enjoyed viewing your video. Thanks for posting it. I did not realize that the CCC diner was set-up differently than other Amtrak LD diners. Actually, I rather like the layout as I viewed it.

(A very "small potatoes" item that I saw in your video was the views of the Whole Wheat Biscuit served at Breakfast. I have never ordered it and my table dining companions also never did. So, I wondered what it was like. Looked good. Was it?)
By definition, the CCC is set up differently from the other diners. That's the only thing that makes it a CCC. It's a standard Superliner diner with a different layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people might find a visual of the difference between A, and B-E in SL bedroom useful, too. East coast riders who don't see SL don't always "get" the family b/r. The SL vs VL debate will go on forever,
Not forever. Just until the end of the world.
default_tongue.png

It is a bit like the old joke about the man who led a pious life and on ascending to heaven was told his reward was the opportunity to ask God any question he'd like. So he asks the Almighty "God, will there ever be peace in the Middle East? " God answers " Yes my son, some day, but maybe not in my lifetime"

Last September I rode the TE from Dallas to Los Angeles, and we had a regular full menu diner right from Dallas. When did this get replaced by the CCC?

Last September I rode the TE from Dallas to Los Angeles, and we had a regular full menu diner right from Dallas. When did this get replaced by the CCC?
The Texas Eagle has used a CCC between Chicago and San Antonio since they were created. It serves the National Menu@ all Meals.
On #421/#422 days there is a Regular Diner on the Sunset Ltd. Between SAS and LAX for the Cutout Coach and Sleeper switched in SAS.( once in awhile a Regular Diner will be in the consist between CHI and SAS and 2 CCCs with one replacing the Sightseer Lounge which Sucks!)

The Eagle has had a CCC for 10+ years, ever since their creation. CCCs have identical kitchen facilities and identical food to any other Superliner Diner. The only difference is the layout. So from Dallas to San Antonio, you actually were in a CCC.

You were in the CCC then. The CCC "cross country cafe" hasn't actually been used as it was originally intended for 10 years. The CCC style of cars are currently used on the Eagle, City of New Orleans, and Capitol.

Texas Eagle - standard national menu

City of New Orleans - pre-packaged food served dining car style by one dining car attendant.

Capitol Limited - pre-packaged and pre boxed food that you pick up from the LSA in the car.

By the way, I was one of the few who actually liked the mix of booths on the original CCC cars, they reminded me of a really neat Atlantic coast Line diner I saw in a railroad museum once.

Capitol Limited - pre-packaged and pre boxed food that you pick up from the LSA in the car.
And just as a note, up until "Fresh Choices" was implemented on 6/1/18, the CCC on the Cap was used essentially like that of the Eagle, with full hot meal service.

Here's some examples of pre-Amtrak dining car equipment that had seats in a variety of configurations like the original design of the CCC car. I did ride both the City and the Capitol when the CCC cars still had the mix of booth types, I really liked the design of the car and was happy to see amtrak think outside the box and make a bit less of a sterile design. I get why they went back to the 4 person booths though. I still think the CCC design is a very smart design. I never liked the traditional super liner diner where you walk through the waiters station in the middle of the car.

Santa Fe El Capitan Dining Car -

https://goo.gl/images/Wve3C6

The Famed "Turquoise Room" on the Santa Fe -

https://goo.gl/images/deXejA

Atlantic Coast Line Dining Car -

https://goo.gl/images/JgTfCn

crescent-zephyr,

Thanks for posting those old pictures. I had forgotten about The Turquoise Room. On the Super Chief, if I recall?

I share your opinion about having to walk through the waiters' station in the Superliner Diners. I have thought that to be an odd design. But, maybe it "had to be" due to the design of the kitchen on the lower level?

crescent-zephyr,

Thanks for posting those old pictures. I had forgotten about The Turquoise Room. On the Super Chief, if I recall?

I share your opinion about having to walk through the waiters' station in the Superliner Diners. I have thought that to be an odd design. But, maybe it "had to be" due to the design of the kitchen on the lower level?
The CCC design also has the full kitchen on the lower level. Now to be fair, when the Superliner Diner was designed, it was intended to be used to it's full capacity. That's 18 tables of 4 which is 72. I don't think I've ever seen the full diner (meaning every table) used and the majority of the time I see only half the diner being used at a time.

The "Diner side" of the CCC seats 40.

crescent-zephyr,

The CCC design also has the full kitchen on the lower level. Now to be fair, when the Superliner Diner was designed, it was intended to be used to it's full capacity. That's 18 tables of 4 which is 72. I don't think I've ever seen the full diner (meaning every table) used and the majority of the time I see only half the diner being used at a time.

Your post mirrors what I have seen as well. Always, in the Superliner Diners, one table is filled with supplies and at least one table is reserved for the Conductor and his assistants. I don't ever recall all of the Diners' tables being available for paying customers.

I don't recall a Diner when only one side of the Diner was being used at a time. But, I may not have been very observant at the time, either, as to the situation.

crescent-zephyr,

Your post mirrors what I have seen as well. Always, in the Superliner Diners, one table is filled with supplies and at least one table is reserved for the Conductor and his assistants. I don't ever recall all of the Diners' tables being available for paying customers.

I don't recall a Diner when only one side of the Diner was being used at a time. But, I may not have been very observant at the time, either, as to the situation.
Interestingly, on both trips that I've eaten in a Superliner Diner (California Zephyr and Sunset Limited), all the tables have been use.

While I've seen literally half used at a time, I also meant half as in 4 tables on one side, 4 tables on the other with a server on each.

Obviously it varies a lot from train to train and crew to crew.

Back