Temporary routings

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtoddander

Train Attendant
Is there any way to discover temporary routings that qualify as published routes and thus qualify for AGR award ticketing?

Example: i live in MI and was planning Amtrak either to or from Seattle in mid December. Online schedule still shows EB for westbound trip. Eastbound trip is different story. Because of all the delays on EB and because delays have been causing missed connections in Chicago to last Michigan train at 6 pm, Amtrak does not want to incur overnight hotel costs for passengers connecting in Chicago. As a result, online schedule from Seattle to Michigan cities temporarily defaults to alternative route: Seattle to Sacramento via CS connecting to CZ to Chicago where, presumably, connecting to the last train to MI at 6pm is much more likely.

Note this reroute seems only to kick in when a Chicago connection late in afternoon or evening is in peril. A person traveling from SEA to CHI with no connections in Chi will still be routed on eastbound EB since there is no threat of missed connection and if train is 6 hours late, so be it.

Extended routing adds about an extra day to trip and a chance to see again a nice stretch of Northwest and still qualifies as 2 zone award.

But back to my original question...is there any way to discover the alternative routings as I plan future trips?

BTW...at some point in time the track will be repaired and the normal routing will be restored for eastbound pax

Yes...on paid trips it is always an option. In fact as long as you are paying they offer multiple options because you are paying.

I am strictly a rewards guy. And I'm always looking for the longest routings in terms of time and mileage.

So the CS to CZ route is just up my alley and the extra night in roomette and extra meals don't cost me any more points. Meanwhile I have all that glorious scenery.

As far as I know, if the routing "published" on the Web site and isn't a circle route, it can be booked. You don't have to use the most direct routing or the first one listed, though I've encountered AGR agents who have claimed otherwise.

In your case I'd expect to be able to go to Seattle via the Empire Builder, the California Zephyr, or the Southwest Chief, since all three routings come up on the Web site when I try a booking from a Michigan town.

On the way east, of course, you only get one option, because the Empire Builder connection in Chicago is broken, and the Coast Starlight doesn't make a same-day connection to the Southwest Chief. Sure, you actually can make that connection by leaving the Coast Starlight at Sacramento and riding two buses and the San Joaquin, but that complicated routing isn't offered on the Web site, and wouldn't in my mind be a good use of points. Too much bus and coach travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the way east (SAC to CHI), of course, you only get one option, because the Empire Builder connection in Chicago is broken, and the Coast Starlight doesn't make a same-day connection to the Southwest Chief. Sure, you actually can make that connection by leaving the Coast Starlight at Sacramento and riding two buses and the San Joaquin, but that complicated routing isn't offered on the Web site, and wouldn't in my mind be a good use of points. Too much bus and coach travel.
But the bus-SJ-bus-SWC is offered.

sac-chi.jpg

On a similar thread, someone reported

i am just returning from a cs-swc connection requiring an overnight in los angeles. no trouble booking that with agr
So it looks like this is another example of the "sleeper" exception to the no published route rule.

Could someone explain to me the sleeper exception rule????
It's in the second paragraph of the last bullet item under

Redemption Travel by ZoneIn the case I referred to, SAC to CHI via CS to SWC, there is a published routing (bus, SJ, bus, SWC) where sleeping cars are not offered on all segments; But CS to SWC does have sleeping car service on all segments. It also doesn't violate the 23.5 or less connection (layover) rule in the first paragraph of the same bullet item.

I should mention that the example which explains the rule allows DEN to LAX via CZ and CS, but has been interpreted to not allow DEN to SAN via CZ, CS, and Pac Surfliner because the PS doesn't have sleeping cars. Pretty cheesy if you ask me.

I should also mention that the wording is unclear as to whether CHI to LAX via CZ and CS is allowed.

thanks PaulM for the explanation. I was able to put it to good use this eve when I reserved train from SF back to MI in Dec.

Reservation system usually returns only one option--theCZ-- for passengers originating in SF itself. Bus to Emeryville and then connection to CZ. A few times per week the system will also allow CS connecting to TE. Although I am usually willing to take TE, on this occasion I did not have the extra day required for the Eagle.

At any rate, for passengers willing to originate at the Oakland Jack London a Square station, the automated system will include train/bus connection to SWC in LA. This allowed me to invoke the sleeper exception mentioned by PaulM and travel on CS to LA and then spend night there before continuing on the SWC.

The lesson learned is that is worth playing around with the origin and/or destination cities to see what shakes out. The Oakland station is just 5 or 6 miles from Emeryville but it generated a couple different routing options that allowed me a stay in LA.

Back