Surge pricing on the Hiawatha

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And as you can see Interspersed with sometimes completely unfounded on any facts rants ($2 going to pay Wisconsin fines), and then rants about those rants - ad infinitum. That is what makes AU so entertaining :p

I'm still trying to understand how a $2, or 8%, increase, can create all this fuss.

Compared to AGR surge price increases in points, it is pretty trivial.

I'm still trying to understand how a $2, or 8%, increase, can create all this fuss.

Compared to AGR surge price increases in points, it is pretty trivial.
Not to mention it only applies to a few trains on weekdays only - the fare for most trains did not change. Although, in fairness, I suppose the fuss is more related to the idea of different fares for different trains, rather than the plan that had been in place for years and years. But yes, assuming it's a simple process of paying the extra $2 on the train if one is using an off-peak ticket on a peak period train, yeah, not really a big deal.

FYI - I'm taking the Hiawatha next week for work up to Milwaukee, coming from Chicago and will do the station schuffle from the South Shore Line from South Bend ($13.50) due to timing of the few and much faster Amtrak express trains to South Bend and will be on off peak trains.

This was in the terms and conditions of my eTicket:

Ticket Terms & ConditionsNOT VALID ON TRAINS 330, 332, 337 OR 339

The Off Peak tickets of LIRR and MNRR say clearly that they are valid only on Off Peak trains. However, if you board a Peak train with such a ticket in hand the conductor will take the difference and issue you a difference receipt and that takes care of that.

I have no idea what CSS&SB does or what Amtrak might do on the Hiawatha Corridor, but it would seem illogical to do anything different from what LIRR and MNRR do. But then again ... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who feel Wisconsin does not support rail improvements, i noticed in our local paper today that public environmental hearings are being held in Milwaukee by the wisconsin dot and Amtrak on oct 27th, regarding improvements to the Hiawatha route including sidings, track, and infrastructure. A step in the process. I am sure those who complained about the $2 fare increase will maintain that the $2 is way too large a cost for these improvements.

From where I live on the Harlem line the off Peak round trip Fare to Grand Central is $24.50, Peak Round Trip $32.50, for a much shorter trip at 36.5 miles each way. So $2 doesn't seem to be much to get excited about.

Regards

CAQuail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back