Surfliner bustitution/service disruption 9/7-9/9 - what to do for ANA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Just noticed that the Surfliner is going to be bustituted from OSD-SAN starting with the late train on 9/7 and continuing all weekend (9/8-9/9). The Coaster is also cancelled 9/8-9/9 - sounds like the reason is for construction on a rail pedestrian crossing in Encinitas. Also, it seems like one can't book any kind of train/bus to/from ANA on 9/8 (FUL and other nearby stations are fine) - no word on why that is. Anybody have an idea as to why this is? As it turns out, this is extremely unfortunate timing for me - I'm planning on doing a trip to ANA for the Tigers-Angels series that weekend, and I was looking forward to a train ride, not a bus ride! Also, if ANA is indeed shut down on 9/8, this would seem to complicate things quite a bit. Can anyone confirm if ANA is indeed shut down on Saturday, and if so does anyone know of alternate transportation available from near the stadium that day

Any suggestions as to what to do? I was thinking of going up on Friday (no bustitution), staying in LA, and doing the Metrolink back and forth for each game. However, if ANA is closed to all traffic on Saturday, that may not work - though I could stay in Anaheim (though I'm not sure what there is to do there aside from the games and Disneyland). My original plan to do just Sat and Sun seems a bit more difficult now - on Sat, I'd have to do OCTA or a cab to get between FUL and the game (which would be tight), and on both days I'd have bustitution both ways. Fri/Sun would work, though I may have to leave early on Fri to catch the last train down and would have 3 bustitutions.

Hoping to make this work reasonably well - I'm not necessarily against doing the bustitutions (I've been wanting to experience an Amtrak California bus anyway), but I want to get as much train as possible and not have to watch the clock during the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
ANA is indeed closed on Saturday as there are two separate trackwork projects going on. One between FUL and ANA, requiring the Surfliners to detour via the Metrolink IEOC route, and another south of OSD requiring trains to terminate in OSD.

ANA's disruption is Saturday only, and the other is both days.

Ok - this is horrible timing for me. From what Google Maps tells me, I basically have to overnight in Anaheim if I want to see Saturday's game (no good late bus service to FUL, and no late Greyhound service either). Not sure overnighting in ANA is too appealing (as opposed to day trips or overnighting in LA), so I may opt for the Fri/Sun games, or perhaps even just Sunday.

One thought I had was to do the following:

1) Leave Friday on #785 from SOL (closer to work) - go to 7:05pm game

2) After game, take the Angels special Metrolink to LAX

3) Overnight in LA (perhaps Metro Plaza Hotel or a hostel)

4) Spend time in LA Saturday

5) Take Surfliner/Metrolink Sunday morn to ANA, go to 12:35pm game

6) Take Surfliner+bustitution back to SAN

That would give me maximum train time (including a good chunk of Metrolink), and I could do other things in LA on Saturday. However, my one concern (beyond the double overnight) is that there may be nowhere to store bags near ANA. Does anyone know if there is any place to store bags there (or at Angels Stadium) or not? If not, I'll have to do day trips and/or overnight in Anaheim (though on Sunday I could probably Amtrak back if staying in a hotel)...

Just throwing out an idea, but what about checking a bag ANA-SAN when you get to ANA before the game. I don't know specifically if they'll through-check bags onto the bus to SAN (sometimes, the bustitutions have different rules from standard connections). Now that I think about it, that might be a bit dangerous because if they say no (i.e. they'll only check it to Oceanside and you have to claim it and carry it onto the bus) then it might not work.

Anaheim has a fully staffed AmStation with a baggage office. You can either do left luggage there for $3 (soon to be $4) or simply check your bag to San Diego. In terms of the Friday evening game the baggage office closes at 10:30 so you should be fine if it's a normal sub 3 hour baseball game.

OK - I guess I will look into checking bags. Never thought of that - I'm used to Michigan, where there is no checked baggage on any of the corridor routes (even at the busiest stations). Do they close baggage claim at 10:30?

May just end up overnighting in Anaheim anyway - and may take a more scenic bus route rather than the bustitution (thinking of going via SD buses, the 395 Camp Pendleton route, and then transferring to OCTA - I've heard the ride through Camp Pendleton is rather unique and interesting). Been wanting to do that, and this seems like a good excuse...

All right - I figured out what to do. Called Amtrak to inquire about the checked baggage/baggage storage policy, and had a bit of a frustrating customer service experience. They pointed out that the baggage closes at 10:30, and were a bit rude when I asked for the number of the station itself to ask about other options. Also, they initially said that I wouldn't be able to get my bag until the next day if I checked it to LA and arrived there after 10:30 on a later train (not true - they later corrected themselves when I pointed out the absurdity of that), and seemed insistent that I could NOT check a bag from Anaheim to LA (which the person at the station later said was wrong).

At this point, I figure I'll go to the Friday and Sunday games as I had originally planned - though I will take Amtrak SOL-ANA and ANA-LAX (was thinking I'd take Metrolink for the latter, but I need to check baggage since a 10:30 baggage close time is too tight). Will spend Sat in LA and/or go to Six Flags Magic Mountain (via Metrolink/Metro and Santa Clarita Transit). On Sunday, I will take Amtrak to ANA, store my bags (or check them), and then catch the train+bustitution back to SAN. Now to find out where to stay in LA - Metro Plaza seemed like a good option as hotels are concerned, though it seemed like there were a few good hostel options on the Red Line.

One question: I noticed all the bustitutions show up as "Reserved Coach". Does this mean that if I have a ticket for a particular bus (that connects to a particular Surfliner), I can't use that on another one? Does anyone have any experience with this? Since I'd be at the game, I won't know 100% which Surfliner I'll end up on (though I have a good idea). If I miss my planned train, I hope the bus driver doesn't give me trouble in OSD - though I guess if they do, I can always take the 101 and 30 buses from Oceanside to SD...

I'm going to LA again the weekend of the disruption. I'm not concerned about getting to Oceanside, but even though I could go up Friday evening, I think I'll likely take the first train Saturday so that I can have the "rare" mileage, just to see how it is all handled.

OK - I just changed my plans around. Since I decided to go to San Francisco the following weekend (for yet another sporting event - Detroit Lions), I decided to cut this trip down to one overnight in Anaheim - arriving on Saturday, going to Saturday nights game and staying there, and coming back Sunday after that game.

Anyway, since the Surfliners aren't going to ANA that day, I'm considering a number of options as to how to get there. I may end up going the cheap/scenic way - perhaps via the #395 Camp Pendleton bus! Or I could just take SD buses to Oceanside and do Metrolink to Orange (and leave from ANA on the way back). In any case, I figure I'd rather not pay full fare to be bustituted half the way there.

They pointed out that the baggage closes at 10:30, and were a bit rude when I asked for the number of the station itself to ask about other options.
I'm not sure if you were talking about the number for the Anaheim station or LAX, but for future reference, the number I have for the Anaheim station is 714-385-1448. The customer relations phone people gave it to me when I called to complain about the Anaheim station closing at random times during the day, suggesting that I just call to see if they're open before ever going there. They were completely missing the point that a station that closes at random times during the times that have been published as times the station is open isn't a particularly useful station.

I was talking about Anaheim - they gave me the number after a bit of grumbling. In any case, I don't think I'll be checking bags at all - though I may store some there on Sunday before the game (that is an afternoon game, so there isn't any worry of them closing before the game is over...).

I think I'll just take Metrolink and local buses to get there and back, though - it's hard to stomach paying regular price for a bustitution, so I figure I'll go the long way and save some money. Also, Metrolink stops at Orange on every run, which will be convenient on Saturday when ANA is bypassed

Isn't the Olive Sub (Atwood Junction-Orange Junction) primarily single track?

how will they do meets? If I'm not mistaken, the Olive Sub is a little over 5 miles long, I believe all of it is single track.

There is a small section of double track (about 3800 feet) just north of Orange at the Orange Junction.

So either way, I'd expect some delays.

A dummy reservation from Fullerton to Santa Ana still says 17 to 20 minutes on Sat. Sept. 8---I highly doubt that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The meets will have to be done either on the BNSF, or the Orange sub.

There will be delays on the detour, for sure.

The meets will have to be done either on the BNSF, or the Orange sub.

There will be delays on the detour, for sure.

Wow, that sure is going to be interesting.

I guess I'll have to check it out, maybe I'll do a FUL to San Juan Capistrano R/T just for the heck of it, and visit the mission at SJC and lunch, that sounds good.

In thinking about it, it's tempting to stay on Metrolink on Saturday all the way to FUL and bus from there to where I'm staying - would be backtracking, but I'd get some unique mileage out of it! Still kicking myself for narrowly missing out on an LSL Michigan detour - while this isn't THAT big, it is still interesting...

I think I'd take the bus or drive. No sense in trying to force Amtrak to provide a service they apparently don't want to provide (functional baggage service, dependably open stations, realistic detour schedules, etc.)

That's part of why I'm taking Metrolink (and bussing to/from OSD and to Anaheim from another OC station) - no sense paying full price for a bustitution south of OSD and a detour at Anaheim when you can just take a bus (MTS/NCTD or Greyhound) to OSD and catch a commuter train for far less money. I wish they were better about keeping people informed about detours...

Of course, I could take Greyhound all the way - would be faster, but I'd be 1) missing out on a train 2) riding Greyhound. Driving isn't an option in my case.

One question: I noticed all the bustitutions show up as "Reserved Coach". Does this mean that if I have a ticket for a particular bus (that connects to a particular Surfliner), I can't use that on another one? Does anyone have any experience with this? Since I'd be at the game, I won't know 100% which Surfliner I'll end up on (though I have a good idea). If I miss my planned train, I hope the bus driver doesn't give me trouble in OSD - though I guess if they do, I can always take the 101 and 30 buses from Oceanside to SD...
I've had no problems getting on bustitutions with an unreserved thru-ticket stub. In fact, since you have to call to get AGR tickets that include a bus portion, I just order tickets for another day before so I can pick them up. You shouldn't have a problem.

As it turns out, Amtrak finally posted information about the service disruptions as a service alert on its website. basically says everything as discussed on this board (bustitution south of OSD, no service to ANA on Saturday). They also did say that the trains would be running on a slightly modified schedule to accommodate the track work. Metrolink also issued a notice, but unlike Amtrak will be shuttling passengers by bus between Anaheim and Fullerton or Orange on the Saturday when ANA is not served. At least they finally did this - would be better if they did it right when they updated the schedule, though...

Ended up going with the Fri/Sun games - doing a roundtrip day trip to go to each. That means Ill be doing the bustitution 3 times - not that I'm particularly thrilled about paying full price for a bustitution, but at least Ill have my Saturday totally open. Will be tight making #796 on Fri, but I think I should be fine (may leave the game early depending on timing).

Related question: when bustitutions result in a bus segment being added to a journey, do we get AGR points on the extra segment? It does appear on my ticket as being separate from the train... If they did that, I'd feel a bit better about it - particularly given the double points promo!

As it turns out, Amtrak finally posted information about the service disruptions as a service alert on its website. basically says everything as discussed on this board (bustitution south of OSD, no service to ANA on Saturday). They also did say that the trains would be running on a slightly modified schedule to accommodate the track work. Metrolink also issued a notice, but unlike Amtrak will be shuttling passengers by bus between Anaheim and Fullerton or Orange on the Saturday when ANA is not served. At least they finally did this - would be better if they did it right when they updated the schedule, though...

Ended up going with the Fri/Sun games - doing a roundtrip day trip to go to each. That means Ill be doing the bustitution 3 times - not that I'm particularly thrilled about paying full price for a bustitution, but at least Ill have my Saturday totally open. Will be tight making #796 on Fri, but I think I should be fine (may leave the game early depending on timing).

Related question: when bustitutions result in a bus segment being added to a journey, do we get AGR points on the extra segment? It does appear on my ticket as being separate from the train... If they did that, I'd feel a bit better about it - particularly given the double points promo!
No, from the same experience I had earlier this year with bus from Oceanside to San Diego. And I didn't expect it. It's an "emergency" type situation but still basically one ride.

Don't be greedy! :lol:

It depends. I got points on a bustitution ride for UP track work north of Oxnard northbound, but not southbound. I even requested points on AGR and they never posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back