Superliners on The Lake Shore Limited - train 48(10)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMTK1007

Train Attendant
Owing to a grade crossing accident this morning involving train 49 which resulted in many flat wheels and damage to the lead locomotive, train 48(10) will Originate at Chicago with Superliners and operate thru to Albany where the Boston Section and a Stub train to NYP will Originate.

Consist will be:

32054 - Sleeper

32045 - Sleeper

38019 - Diner

35002 - Snack Coach (aka Panic Box)

34134 - Coach

31038 - Coach Bag

Power unknown at this point

Don't know which train this will stand for to return to Chicago

Where are they going to platform the train at Albany? If I remember correctly the new station only has high level platforms.

Where are they going to platform the train at Albany? If I remember correctly the new station only has high level platforms.
You remember correctly that the new station only has high level plats. However the old plats are still in place and are connected via a ramp I think, might be stairs, to the high level plats. So they should still be able to discharge the train without incident, although the passengers will have a bit of a walk unless they also park the connecting trains directly across the plat from the Superliners.

You remember correctly that the new station only has high level plats. However the old plats are still in place and are connected via a ramp I think, might be stairs, to the high level plats. So they should still be able to discharge the train without incident, although the passengers will have a bit of a walk unless they also park the connecting trains directly across the plat from the Superliners.
They're not routing superliner cars through to BOS, are they? One could only hope. <grin> Technically it's possible, right? No short tunnels?

-Rafi

They're not routing superliner cars through to BOS, are they? One could only hope. <grin> Technically it's possible, right? No short tunnels?-Rafi
I would tend to believe that it is possible to run the Superliners over to Boston without incident. That assumes that a Superliner isn't much taller than the T's bi-level cars, such that they clear the catenary at South Station.

However, I don't believe that they would do this since I don't believe that South Station has any low level platforms. I'm certain that Back Bay doesn't, so at the very least they'd have to skip that stop.

Can anyone explain why the train number has (10) beside it in the title?

Can anyone explain why the train number has (10) beside it in the title?
That is the day of departure from the origin point of the route. (train #48 of the 10th). This is necessary for most long distance trains that may have multiple consists on the route at any one time and is an easy way to differentiate the consists.

It is done with every train for Identification purposes. The computer system has to have a way to differentiate trains that run the same schedule on different days. Both the dispatching and ARROW computer systems will identify trains in this manner.

What days will this consist be running? Im very interested as i live next to the tracks.
Corey
It left Chicago on Wednesday, arriving into Albany yesterday. No word yet on when it will return to Chicago, although I'd suspect that Amtrak will want it out of the Albany yard ASAP, so most likely it will be today's returning consist. Worst case scenario I'd say that it would go out tomorrow.

What days will this consist be running? Im very interested as i live next to the tracks.

Corey
It left Chicago on Wednesday, arriving into Albany yesterday. No word yet on when it will return to Chicago, although I'd suspect that Amtrak will want it out of the Albany yard ASAP, so most likely it will be today's returning consist. Worst case scenario I'd say that it would go out tomorrow.
Train 49 goes by here around 11, so if anyone can give me a positive answer by than, it'd be great. Also, where are you getting this information?

Corey

Corey, I know I (along with most people here) prefer not to reveal our sources of information. It makes it such that the folks who do tell us these things don't have their jobs and reputations put into question. Now granted the information we post here isn't earth shattering info, it will eventually be known anyway. But most of us keep our contacts to ourselves so that we keep getting the info we get. B)

I Just saw 49 and she was indeed all Superliner :) I would like to have tips on when interesting stuff goes through.

Corey

However, I don't believe that they would do this since I don't believe that South Station has any low level platforms. I'm certain that Back Bay doesn't, so at the very least they'd have to skip that stop.
Back Bay does not have any low level platforms, and I'm scratching my head to remember if South Station does. Worcester doesn't have low level platforms. Framingham does not have any platforms at all. I don't remember what the stations at Springfield and Northampton have as I've only been there twice and both times I was in the train.

If Amtrak were to do this, I think they'd want to spend a dime or two and improve the rails out in Western Mass. CSX can't be happy with the extra weight of a superliner on their rails.

Rick

Springfield has low level platforms, although it seems like it should have high level platforms with the volume of passengers through there, but whatever.

As for the weight of the Superliners, I would be highly surprised if a fully loaded Superliner even competed with loaded coal or rock trains that CSX routinely runs on its rails.

A source that's very familiar with the Amtrak New England Division has told me that the Superliners will not fit into the Back Bay tunnels, so the platform argument here really is a moot point.

As for the weight of the Superliners, I would be highly surprised if a fully loaded Superliner even competed with loaded coal or rock trains that CSX routinely runs on its rails.
Exactly ! ! For computing traffic density on a piece of track for maintenance, many railroads have used a thing called Equated Gross Tons. For this you use a factor for speed, usually say if 60 mph freight is 1.0, then 50 mph is 0.9, and 70 mph freight may be 1.2. car weigthts above 263,000 lb may be multiplied by 1.2 and car weights of 220,000 or less multiplied by 0.9 or 0.8, etc. But on one commony used procedure, engine weights of the power on passenger trains was multiplied by 3.0 if passenger train speed is 80 mph (or 79) and the train weight not computed at all. In other words, passenger car weights are so far below freight car weights, they really do not need to be considerred at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back