Superliner vs. Viewliner Roomette Storage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

getbent

Train Attendant
I think I found my answer, searching old forums, but I wanted to confirm:

1. Viewliner roomettes have the storage cubby up by the upper bunk

2. Superliner roomettes have a narrow closet.

We were on a viewliner last year and we were pleseantly surprised to see the storage cubby, since it held a good deal of luggage. We'll be traveling via superliner soon and I'm trying to plan accordingly.

Superliner I's have the "Amcloset," but Superliner II's do not, so you can't count on always having the closet available. But if you do, it is wide enough to hold a couple of coats on hangers, and that's about it. The II's have a coat hook that serves the same purpose. Both variants on Superliners have less storage space than Viewliners, but there is a luggage storage area downstairs where you can store bags.

I suggest that you pack a small carry-on with items you will need during the train trip, and check the rest. Roomettes are very small, and the less you have to struggle with, the happier you'll be.

You are correct about the layouts of the viewliner V. Superliner roomettes as far as baggage stowage is concerned. I find it easiest to check baggage, if possible, and only take a small bag for personal items and a change of clothes, when traveling on a superliner. additionally, there is a rather large baggage stowage area on the lower level to leave your bigger bags, if you desire or cannot check your baggage.

Superliners have a step / shelf thing where a moderate size carry on piece can go (mine fits perfectly). That and a back pack is about the limit in the Roomette.. but as others have said there are luggage racks available downstairs.

Superliner I's have the "Amcloset," but Superliner II's do not, so you can't count on always having the closet available. But if you do, it is wide enough to hold a couple of coats on hangers, and that's about it. The II's have a coat hook that serves the same purpose. Both variants on Superliners have less storage space than Viewliners, but there is a luggage storage area downstairs where you can store bags.
Possibly we aren't thinking of the same thing, but on Viewliners there is the coat area with rack/hook too. Its the area next to the roomette door, opposite to the toilet/sink. It has a seat belt that allows you to hold items flat against the wall. Personally, I put my backpack there, and secure it to the wall with that seat belt.

Superliners have a step / shelf thing where a moderate size carry on piece can go (mine fits perfectly). That and a back pack is about the limit in the Roomette.. but as others have said there are luggage racks available downstairs.
That step/shelf thing is a ladder used by the person sleeping in the upper bunk. If traveling with my wife I'll put a small bag there during the day. But I'll move that bag down to the luggage area for the night to free up the steps to the upper bunk.

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.

That step/shelf thing is a ladder used by the person sleeping in the upper bunk. If traveling with my wife I'll put a small bag there during the day. But I'll move that bag down to the luggage area for the night to free up the steps to the upper bunk.

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.
We do the same thing. The laptop bag goes in the closet (or the area where the closet would be), and then the backpack gets moved off the stairs and under the bottom bunk.

I usually throw a small bag up on the upper bunk during the day (If its small enough)

Otherwise, the downstairs luggage racks work

Thanks for the input!

We will be traveling light, since we then go to the Cardinal/Hoosier (I think we're on the Hoosier State one) to get from Chicago to Indiana and there is no checked baggage.

Learned our lesson last year when we brought many a bag with us in coach. My son brought a ton of blankets for sleeping (he was 7) and we had a cooler and many other comforts for our coach portion. We realized, once we go to the roomette portion of the trip, light is the way to travel. We lucked out having the large storage on the Viewliner. I think our trip would have been very uncomfortable to jostle around that much luggage. We left the upper bunk down during the day to allow my son a place to go and hang out, but I managed to whack my head pretty well a couple of times.

You guys are a wonderful resource. We took our first mother/son trip last summer and we're both hooked. This year we have two trips planned: Denver to Chicago to IN and then later in the year we will be going from Denver to Sacramento. I'm excited for that trip, since it should be scenic and free!

I prefer the Viewliner. The upper "cubbyhole" serves us better than the narrow closet in the Superliner, as we pack suitcases, not garment bags. Hate having to go downstairs to access our bag(s), also.

You can also lower the Viewliner Upper 1 click and stow some stuff up there during the day and transfer it to your lower level "Lounge Area" at night if you are traveling alone and prefer the Viewliner Upper, which I do.

There's some space for a small suitcase in the Superliner II in the location where the closet is in the Superliner I. Frankly the II is more practical. However, you can't count on getting a Superliner II, as Amtrak intermixes the equipment at random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back