Superliner Bedroom Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D.P. Roberts

Conductor
I've ridden in a roomette before, but not in a bedroom, so I'm curious as to how bedrooms work. I've seen a lot of photos, videos, and 360 degree shots of bedrooms, but few at night and none really "in use". So I have a few questions:

1) When the lower bunk is made up - is there still room to walk around it (by the sink area), or do you basically have to climb over the bunk to get in/out of the bedroom?

2) Is there space for carry-on luggage under the seats?

3) I assume the seats recline too, like the seats in the roomettes do?

1) There's maybe 6 inches of space between the edge of the bunk and the sink.

2) Yes, but not a whole lot, the space isn't all that tall - I suspect that the space is similar to the size that's under the roomette seats.

3) Yes.

D.P.

Me and the wife are in one right now.

1. The small single seat folds up and u can put a couple small bags under it and put the seat down. Example. 1 duffle bag and 1 standard carry on bag, above the chair there is a shelf that would hold 1 more carrying bag. Small closet beside door with hangers. About 6" wide. A computer bag fits nicely.

With lower bunk pulled out there is about 6"of space between sink & bed. Note: u can pull out o ly half the sofa to lay flat if u want to lay across chair/bed

Thanks to both of you for your replies!

Three more questions:

4) It sounds like for most trains, there's no way to know which way your particular car will be facing. I assume this is true for the Southwest Chief as well?

5) I have seen a variety of different opinions about the showers in the bedrooms. Some seem to think that the showers are too small, fill up the room with steam, and the toilet/shower compartment stays wet all day. Others don't seem to care. Is this one of those issues where it depends how picky you are, or are those things really true? All things being equal, I'd prefer to use the shower in the bedroom (heck, we paid for it), but if the bathroom will stay wet all day it might be kind of annoying.

6) I'd really prefer one of the refurbished Superliner I cars. I was really hoping to have one when we rode the CS a few years ago, just days after their "relaunch", and didn't get one. From what I understand, there are about 50 each of the Superliner I and II cars, and about 40 of the 50 Superliner I cars got the full refurbishments. I know the EB, the CS, and the CZ are supposed to get the refurbished cars before the Texas Eagle and others, so it sounds like the SWC is somewhere in the middle. This puts the odds of getting a refurbished car at about 50/50. Does that sound about right?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get bedroom A, (the one which is slightly smaller than the other 3 due to the curvature of the car) since the sink & shower are arranged slightly different than on the other bedrooms, you will have more room to pass by when the lower bed is made.

5) I have seen a variety of different opinions about the showers in the bedrooms. Some seem to think that the showers are too small, fill up the room with steam, and the toilet/shower compartment stays wet all day. Others don't seem to care. Is this one of those issues where it depends how picky you are, or are those things really true? All things being equal, I'd prefer to use the shower in the bedroom (heck, we paid for it), but if the bathroom will stay wet all day it might be kind of annoying.
Small but OK, and there just is something about showering at 60 mph. The ones I've had have been well vented, no problems with steam in the room. As far as drying, once you've dressed take your towel and wipe off the seat and then use it to sop up the little bit of excess water on the floor - no problems.

We've been in the Superliner Bedroom many times and be aware there is very little luggage space available. During the day you can use the sofa to keep things on. At night when the beds are down, the only space is under the chair, on it and on the small luggage shelf over it. IMO if you are carrying more than two overnight bags and a laptop things will get crowded very quickly. There is little room under the lower bunk. Checking your bags on a Superliner trip is the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back