Superliner bedroom/meals question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am traveling around June 15th with my kids on the Texas Eagle and we have a deluxe bedroom..decided to go that way instead of the roomette. Last time was a bit small. I have a 6yr and a 7yr.

Anyway the question is this. Last year when we had the roomette, we had tickets for each of us, and all got our meals for free on the way to from Texas to Michigan. On the way back, they told us because the roomette was for only two people we'd have to pay for a meal..and she made me pay for the most expensive.

Now...this year with the bedroom..will we get all our meals? Meals for three this time, without having to pay for extra meals. Because last time I wasnt' prepared to pay for extra meals. I'm traveling with a trip paid by my father first off, and traveling on a budget, so want to make sure to get this straight before traveling, so I can be prepared for it this time.

If anyone has experience with this I'd apperciate it. I keep readlng the deluxe bedroom on the superliner is for two people but can accomadate three...does that mean I'm going to get stiffed for an extra meal again?

When I made reservations I was told all people booked for the room would get the meals..just like last year...but that didn't happen last year. I don't want to be suprised again. I had to end up getting less food on the way home and having hungry kids argueing, due to not having enough to cover the expenses last year. Hoping this year the trip goes a bit more smoothly.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno....if they accepted payment for a ticket with all three of you named on it, I would think that they would have provided meals for all of you, regardless if it is a roomette or bedroom.....did you question customer relations about it?

I thought we all should have had meals because we all had tickets. Myself and each of the kids, but I didn't argue. I let so much go last year. Even the fact one of the attendents from the Michigan train bruised my daughter (5yrs old at the time) while she was trying to climb the stairs shoved her suitcase up the stairs after her before she even got up the stairs and pinched her leg against the stairs. She ended up with only a bruise luckily...she was so sweet she even colored this picture and gave it to him even after all that, because she was so excited about riding the train, so I just let everything go for her sake, because she wasn't hurt bad.

But I should have did more complaining between that and not getting our meals right on the Texas Eagle. I just hope this time goes better. Hopefully can get more assistance this year. Hard to have two kids, suitcases for three and try to keep them going in the right direction at the same time. Being at Chicago was the worst stop I think for me, because I'm trying to keep a really close eye on two young excited children around a bunch of people and trains and make sure all our luggage goes with us and deal with a sore back all at the same time.

That's exactly what I would have done - contact Customer Relations! And why did they charge you for the MOST EXPENSIVE meal?
huh.gif

Even assuming that the LSA was correct (which I don't think so) and a roomette is only for 2 people, the first TWO passengers would be allowed free meals!
rolleyes.gif
I highly doubt you booked the roomette listing

1. Child
  2. Child
  3. Parent

More likely, the roomette was booked as

1. Parent
  2. Child
  3. Child

So In that case, the parent's (probably the most expensive) meal and one child's meal would be included! But I think all 3 should have been included myself!
blink.gif
I'd still (even at this late date) contact Customer Relations and find out for sure!

Call 1-800-USA-RAIL, ask for an agent then ask for Customer Relations!

I strongly suggest you utilize the redcap service where available.......well worth a $5 tip and you (and the children) would probably get to ride between the waiting area and the train and vice versa.....

Being at Chicago was the worst stop I think for me, because I'm trying to keep a really close eye on two young excited children around a bunch of people and trains and make sure all our luggage goes with us and deal with a sore back all at the same time.
In Chicago, ask and use a Red Cap both getting off the train and boarding! They will take all of you - and all your bags right from the train to the Metropolitan Lounge - in a cart!
cool.gif

I thought we all should have had meals because we all had tickets. Myself and each of the kids, but I didn't argue. I let so much go last year. Even the fact one of the attendents from the Michigan train bruised my daughter (5yrs old at the time) while she was trying to climb the stairs shoved her suitcase up the stairs after her before she even got up the stairs and pinched her leg against the stairs. She ended up with only a bruise luckily...she was so sweet she even colored this picture and gave it to him even after all that, because she was so excited about riding the train, so I just let everything go for her sake, because she wasn't hurt bad.

But I should have did more complaining between that and not getting our meals right on the Texas Eagle. I just hope this time goes better. Hopefully can get more assistance this year. Hard to have two kids, suitcases for three and try to keep them going in the right direction at the same time. Being at Chicago was the worst stop I think for me, because I'm trying to keep a really close eye on two young excited children around a bunch of people and trains and make sure all our luggage goes with us and deal with a sore back all at the same time.
I travel a lot by myself with my two grandkids. Whenever possible we send our luggage ahead by UPS. I wear a back pack with whatever clothes we all need for the trip and each child wears a backpack with their own toys and snacks. When I can't do that I add one rolling case for all three of us to the back packs and let the kids hold onto handle to "help" me pull it so I can keep them close. Just an idea for you.

I am traveling around June 15th with my kids on the Texas Eagle and we have a deluxe bedroom..decided to go that way instead of the roomette. Last time was a bit small. I have a 6yr and a 7yr.

Anyway the question is this. Last year when we had the roomette, we had tickets for each of us, and all got our meals for free on the way to from Texas to Michigan. On the way back, they told us because the roomette was for only two people we'd have to pay for a meal..and she made me pay for the most expensive.

Now...this year with the bedroom..will we get all our meals? Meals for three this time, without having to pay for extra meals. Because last time I wasnt' prepared to pay for extra meals. I'm traveling with a trip paid by my father first off, and traveling on a budget, so want to make sure to get this straight before traveling, so I can be prepared for it this time.

If anyone has experience with this I'd apperciate it. I keep readlng the deluxe bedroom on the superliner is for two people but can accomadate three...does that mean I'm going to get stiffed for an extra meal again?

When I made reservations I was told all people booked for the room would get the meals..just like last year...but that didn't happen last year. I don't want to be suprised again. I had to end up getting less food on the way home and having hungry kids argueing, due to not having enough to cover the expenses last year. Hoping this year the trip goes a bit more smoothly.

Thanks!!
I had a friend who traveled with the same issue 1 adult 3 and 5 year old child one roomette. They insisted on receiving a receipt for the extra meal and submitted it to Amtrak who actually reimbursed them. Not saying it will happen that way but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back