Superliner 2 Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
Dose anyone know if any of the State Named sleepers have have been rebuilt yet as the

SL1 s have been or are the Still original except for the out side appearance?

Trainfan

As far as I can tell, there's nothing different between them and the others. I ran into the New Hampshire a few weeks back, and it was more or less identical to the unnamed other ones.

Dose anyone know if any of the State Named sleepers have have been rebuilt yet as the

Trainfan
I rode in the Indiana a few weeks ago aboard the Starlight and noticed a Beech Grove refurb decal. But my understanding is that this particular car was burned at Crystal Springs, MS during the course of a 2008 CONO accident, thus resulting in the rebuild.

The only Superliner II sleepers that have seen a refurb are as noted by ColdRain, ones that were damaged in a wreck or a fire.

The main reason for this is that Amtrak terminated the refurb program before all the Superliner I sleepers were completed. And the II's are much younger than the I's.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing different between them and the others. I ran into the New Hampshire a few weeks back, and it was more or less identical to the unnamed other ones.
All of the sleepers in the Superliner fleet have names, but the ones for the Superliner I cars were never applied. Furthermore, Phase V removes names from all cars bar the PPCs, so having a name painted on is not a way to determine which batch a given car is from.

so there are still SL 1 sleepers out there that havent been rebuilt? How many?

Trainfan

Trainfan
I rode in the Indiana a few weeks ago aboard the Starlight and noticed a Beech Grove refurb decal. But my understanding is that this particular car was burned at Crystal Springs, MS during the course of a 2008 CONO accident, thus resulting in the rebuild.
Were is the name located if not om outside anymore?

Trainfan
Were is the name located if not om outside anymore?
On the upstairs doors leading into the car.

All of the sleepers in the Superliner fleet have names, but the ones for the Superliner I cars were never applied. Furthermore, Phase V removes names from all cars bar the PPCs, so having a name painted on is not a way to determine which batch a given car is from.
I'm pretty sure that I ran into George M. Pullman, as well as one with a national park name that I don't recall, about a year ago. Both would have been refurbished cars.

I'm pretty sure that I ran into George M. Pullman, as well as one with a national park name that I don't recall, about a year ago. Both would have been refurbished cars.
Just relaying what several people inside Amtrak have told me.

I went back through my pictures and found one of Mr. Pullman from a year and a half ago. So, unless they've gone back and reremoved the name, there's at least one.

The George M Pullman (32009) and the Edward Ullman (32003) were the only two Superliner I's to actually have the names painted onto the cars. All other Superliner I's were assigned names; but as noted the names were never actually painted onto the cars. You can view a list of all the names here at OTOL.

As for the refurbished Superliner I sleepers, Amtrak officially called that program Remanufactured Sleepers. There are currently 59 cars on the active roster of that, 41 made it through the remanufacture program before it was cancelled. There are currently 5 sleepers that are on the list of wreck repairs that will also get the remanufacture treatment, along with the necessary repairs to fix the wreck damage. That will boost the total count of active Superliner I sleepers to 64 when completed.

This is not to say that the 18 remaining cars still retain their original furnishings, all the cars were given some updating/refurbishment probably 15 or so years ago. But the most recent remanufacture work done in 2005/2006 was much more extensive. However, there were two major variations of the recent remanufacturing. One that includes new carpet, new light fixtures, the wood paneling in the halls, and a few other little things. The second variation includes all of the above, plus the new bathroom modules.

All the wrecks will get the bathroom variation when their turn on the shop floor comes.

Also from OTOL, here's a list of the remanufactured Superliner I sleepers.

The George M Pullman (32009) and the Edward Ullman (32003) were the only two Superliner I's to actually have the names painted onto the cars. All other Superliner I's were assigned names; but as noted the names were never actually painted onto the cars. You can view a list of all the names here at OTOL.

As for the refurbished Superliner I sleepers, Amtrak officially called that program Remanufactured Sleepers. There are currently 59 cars on the active roster of that, 41 made it through the remanufacture program before it was cancelled. There are currently 5 sleepers that are on the list of wreck repairs that will also get the remanufacture treatment, along with the necessary repairs to fix the wreck damage. That will boost the total count of active Superliner I sleepers to 64 when completed.

This is not to say that the 18 remaining cars still retain their original furnishings, all the cars were given some updating/refurbishment probably 15 or so years ago. But the most recent remanufacture work done in 2005/2006 was much more extensive. However, there were two major variations of the recent remanufacturing. One that includes new carpet, new light fixtures, the wood paneling in the halls, and a few other little things. The second variation includes all of the above, plus the new bathroom modules.

All the wrecks will get the bathroom variation when their turn on the shop floor comes.

Great information AlanB, thank you for posting it. I rode on the Edward L. Ullman on an Eastbound Cal Zephyr trip a while back, and have since seen it on the Starlight's consist. Not sure where it is operating currently.

This is not to say that the 18 remaining cars still retain their original furnishings, all the cars were given some updating/refurbishment probably 15 or so years ago.
It was certainly more recent than 15 years ago. When I started riding Amtrak (2001/02), the Superliner I sleepers still had the ugly orange and brown interiors. I had a recent ride on a non-remanufactured sleeper and it had new upholstery on the seats at least (from the last 2-3 years). The rest of the car still looked pretty worn, though.

I did run into a SL 1 that was a litte different as it had the blue flooring throughout

with no carpeting in the hallway by the bedrooms which out of 8 trips is the only one

that Ive seen like that.

Trainfan

This is not to say that the 18 remaining cars still retain their original furnishings, all the cars were given some updating/refurbishment probably 15 or so years ago.
It was certainly more recent than 15 years ago. When I started riding Amtrak (2001/02), the Superliner I sleepers still had the ugly orange and brown interiors. I had a recent ride on a non-remanufactured sleeper and it had new upholstery on the seats at least (from the last 2-3 years). The rest of the car still looked pretty worn, though.
I was on ane just like that a year ago on tahe SW Chief , had blue seats , but everything

else was the old colors>

Trainfan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back