Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
Has anyone taken sunset/eagle all the way from chi to Lax? I just wondered if it was a trip worth taking

or would I be better off with the SW Chief for the third time??

Thanks

Trainfan

Has anyone taken sunset/eagle all the way from chi to Lax? I just wondered if it was a trip worth takingor would I be better off with the SW Chief for the third time??

Thanks

Trainfan
i cannot compare the TE/SL to the SWC since I haven yet been on the Chief,but have ridden the other two multiple times!Others may disagree or have different points of view or items to add but IMHO: ride the TE/SL.Youll see new sights,more amtrack miles,you will be on the train 2 1/2 days and three

nights,one spent in SAS unless they change the schedul(Train #421 will have your sleeper,#21 is the TE only!)TE#21 only has a CCC but does have an

ssl,#421 will be hooked to SL#1 in SAS which has a real diner and an ssl!Ive had good experiences on the SL,good,experienced OBS,lately a very good

OTP,even early!Some interesting sights in West Texas(Pecos High Bridge/Mexico border in El Paso, mostly dessert after that but once you awake

and have breakfast youll be in Palm Springs and highball for LAX shortly!The Eagle has the Mississippi rive in St. Louis but of course it will be dark

in the fall so youll see the arch and the lights,East Texas is mostly Piney woods,you will look down into Dealy plaza where JFK was shot in DAl,can see the grassy knoll.cross the trestle involved in so many conspiracy theories and meet the North bound TE #22 in FTW where youll spend awhile in the station!

From FTW to Aus is mostly ranch country,youll go through Crawford (where the Conneticut Texan has his ranchLOL) but cant see the ranch!Temple has a

pretty neat old ATSF station which has a rr museum thats not bad,then into Austin where the diner crew deboards and a crew change takes place for some of the crew!The food is so,so on the TE,we had great meals on the SL in July!The ride is a little rough from TPL to SAS(UP tracks,theyre doing lots of work on this area of the line), To each his own,go for the new if in doubt and not in a hurry!(Who is on a train? :lol: )

Has anyone taken sunset/eagle all the way from chi to Lax? I just wondered if it was a trip worth takingor would I be better off with the SW Chief for the third time??

Thanks

Trainfan
Aloha

I gone Westbound on the SWC 3 times once WB on the TE. Hard to say which was better but glad I have ridden Both. Here are my South West Chief and Texas Eagle Picture Galleries.

Hope these help.

i have taken it from CHI to LAX. its known as the texas eagle until SAS then 2 cars are taken off 1 coach and 1 sleeper and added to the sunset. if you take train 421 you do not have to leave your car for the layover at SAN. its a nice long train ride. you go through texas so it takes a extra day so your on the train for 4 days instead of 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Psst, amtrakwolverine...I don't believe either the Eagle or the Sunset go all the way to San Diego. I think you're thinking of San Antonio, Texas, code named SAS.

I've been known to be wrong sometimes, though...

Travel light!

~BJG

:::who is looking at considering thinking about bidding into that zone, for a bit of a scenery change :) :::

i have taken it from CHI to LAX. its known as the texas eagle until SAN then 2 cars are taken off 1 coach and 1 sleeper and added to the sunset. if you take train 421 you do not have to leave your car for the layover at SAN. its a nice long train ride. you go through texas so it takes a extra day so your on the train for 4 days instead of 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back