Sunset Limited - Tucson to Los Angeles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I will be taking the Sunset Limited from Tucson to Los Angeles in late July. It's our first time. We'll be traveling coach and already have tickets.

Have a few questions:

1. We notice that we have no specific seat assignments. Are these assigned by the conductor after boarding the train?

2. For comfort and quiet, are there any special requests we should make regarding seat assignments?

3. We'll be getting up and going to the lounge car or for snacks, etc. Is it advisable to check baggage rather than carry on board? If we check baggage, will the baggage check room be open in Los Angeles if we arrive on time at 5:30 a.m.?

4. Any special suggestions for making this trip more comfortable, such as carrying on a blanket or anything else.

Any and all advice for this train will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

I have not ridden this particular route but will give answers for LD Superliner routes.

1. If the coach car is crowded, the conductor may assign seats next to each other. Otherwise it is open seating. The conductor can and will tell a solo traveler to sit with another so that you can have seats next to each other.

2. Hopefully, people will be quiet after about 10PM.

3. You may bring on food of your own if you want to. Any time a train arrives with checked baggage at LAX, the station staff unloads the baggage from the train and sends it out ASAP.

If you have a heavy/large bag that you don't need anything from until you get to LAX, check it.

4. I'm guessing in late July, it will be warm enough without a jacket or blanket. You could put a blanket large enough for the 2 of you into a pillowcase and use it for a pillow if you are too warm.

You don't specify your age -- but if you have some grey hairs (like me), you can specify a lower-level seat. If you've already made the reservations, you can call and ask to have the ticket changed. They'll send you a new e-ticket if need be. If you're on the lower level, no one will be passing through your compartment to get between cars, and the rest rooms are on the same level for easy access at night. I've sat in the lower level before, and the nights were much quieter with only old folks and disabled. No crying toddlers! But I actually like the view better from the upper level, so it's a trade-off. It is usually quiet from about 10 or 11pm till daylight and even later, no matter where you are sitting.

Also, I have heard, just once (on this forum), of someone's luggage being disturbed, but I have never experienced it nor seen such a thing personally. Your stuff should be fine, especially those bags that you have in your seat area and overhead rack. Don't worry about leaving your stuff, just don't leave valuable stuff laying around unattended in full view.

As said, your stuff usually is safe at your seat. The train really is a "community on wheels". Most times people watch out for each other, but like in any city or town, I would still take my valuables with me! (Like my camera, computer, purse, etc...) But then again if someone did take something, they (and it) would probably still be on the train! Very few people get off a train going 79 MPH!

On that train, there is a luggage rack just inside the door where you enter on the lower level. I personally am not concerned about leaving a bag there. If you have a smaller bag, there is also a luggage rack above your seat (which is MUCH larger than on a plane)! And you can check your bag(s) if you want. Just remember you will not have access to them until you reach your destination. (Example - If you want to change your clothes for the next day.) And yes, the baggage claim at LA will be open upon your arrival.

And just so you will be aware, many times that train arrives early - usually around 4:30 am! And it may take checked baggage 30-40 minutes to get to the baggage room! (I was there last month off that train. I had to wait on the platform for the very few Red Caps on duty at that time and then rode down to the Parcel Room - aka Baggage Claim - and it was still 10-20 minutes before my bag arrived!)

Regarding seat assignments, if the train is rather full (as it will probably be in July), you will probably be assigned seats by the Coach attendent or Conductor. IF you have a choice, choose seats away from the ends of the coach as it is noisy when those those doors open all night. and avoid the seats upstairs opposite the stair well. The overhead lights are dimmed at night, but not the ones on the stairs. A light travel blanket and neck pillows are handy. The AC system may be too cold for you during the night. The pillow (if you want to call it that) that Amtrak furnishes leaves a lot to be desired.

If you have some large bags, it is worth checking them as it is quite a walk from the platform to the station in LA. As was said earlier, there is plenty of overhead stoage at your seat. The downstairs luggage rack can fill up on a crowded train. Of course keep your valuables with you, (camera. laptops, cellphone, purses).

Have a good trip. It is a smooth ride across the Arizona & California deserts as this is a well- maintained Union Pacific Southern main line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for all these valuable tips. They are most helpful.

There's only one issue that I'm not quite clear about and that's seat assignment.

Yes, we're retirees and we would like to be seated in the quietest area of the coach. We understand that's on the lower level. Also because it's nearest to the bathroom. Since the entire trip is at night, we figure we're not missing seeing any sites. Since our tickets don't contain any seat designations, how do we go about getting seated on the lower level in quiet seats?

Thanks again,

Brett

Brett, welcome to AU.

The lower level is quieter in general, as was stated due to less foot traffic, boarding and detraining passengers not withstanding.

As far as for seat assignments, you may just get to choose your own seats. if the seats will be assigned, then the coach car attendant will give you two seats upon boarding. I will give you an example. Lets say you are boarding the train, the attendant may just say, pick any seats, or they may say take seats 2 and 3. It really depends on the crew and how full the train is. There is no way to know what they will do until the train gets there.

If you aren't ticketed for lower level seats, then a quick call to Amtrak can fix that. A new E-ticket will be emailed to you with your new lower level coach seating. Amtrak seats are not assigned like airline seating. Its usually first come first served, unless the crew decides to assign seats. Once again, that will be told to you as you board the train.

I hope you both have a wonderful trip on the Sunset Limited. Let us know if we can be of more assistance to you. :)

Hi Brett,

I just want to regurgitate what Amtrak Cajun just said.

Unless you designate lower level when you buy your ticket, you will be seated upstairs. There are only a limited number of seats available on the lower level and though the cost is the same, they are allocated separately and must be reserved. Still unassigned, but Reserved Lower Seating. If you have already purchased your tickets, an agent can fix that for you right away. Being on the lower level - especially at night - can almost be a surreal and serene experience. It used to be the smoking section of the Superliners until that was done away with.

Also, as heat rises, you may find that the lower level could be a bit cooler at night. If you tend to sleep cold, you may want to bring a thin blanket.

I've had my luggage rifled through while it was in the luggage rack of a sleeper car. I've never had a problem with anything in the overhead rack in coach.

On that train, there is a luggage rack just inside the door where you enter on the lower level. I personally am not concerned about leaving a bag there. If you have a smaller bag, there is also a luggage rack above your seat (which is MUCH larger than on a plane)! And you can check your bag(s) if you want.

Seats in the lower level of the superliner coaches are specifically reserved for mobility impaired passengers. If you sit in there without a reservation for that section, you stand a good chance of being rousted out by the conductor or coach attendant and shooed upstairs. And if you are mobility impaired, you can ask for a seat reservation in the lower level when you make your initial travel reservation.

Seats in the lower level of the superliner coaches are specifically reserved for mobility impaired passengers. If you sit in there without a reservation for that section, you stand a good chance of being rousted out by the conductor or coach attendant and shooed upstairs. And if you are mobility impaired, you can ask for a seat reservation in the lower level when you make your initial travel reservation.
I'm sorry, but that is not entirely correct.

About half of the lower level seats are sold only to those with mobility issues. These seats can only be purchased by calling an Amtrak agent or visiting with a station agent.

The other half, give or take, are put up for sale by Amtrak to anyone on Amtrak.com. There are no special requirements to buy a LL seat, you simply need to pick it as you make your reservation.

Yes, we're retirees and we would like to be seated in the quietest area of the coach. We understand that's on the lower level. Also because it's nearest to the bathroom. Since the entire trip is at night, we figure we're not missing seeing any sites. Since our tickets don't contain any seat designations, how do we go about getting seated on the lower level in quiet seats?
Brett,

As noted by others, if you think that you would prefer the lower level seating, just call up Amtrak at the 800 number, of if you find yourself at a station, ask an agent to fix thins for it. Do it soon however, before prices rise. And they can and almost certainly will rise.

I've got a funny story about our experience on the lower level:

On our very first LD train trip, Hubby and I were in our mid-40s. We purchased regular coach tickets, and boarded at our eastbound stop in late evening. It was the week before Thanksgiving, and the Empire Builder was as full as it ever gets in November. The attendant took us upstairs, and cast his eye over the crowded car with everyone beginning to settle down for the night. Not seeing a pair of seats together, he opted to take us back downstairs rather than disrupt a couple of singles to make room for us. There was plenty of room down there, and he told us he would re-seat us upstairs later. We spent the entire trip asking our new friends in the downstairs seating area if we could bring them anything back from the SS Lounge, as long as we were going. We spent a lot of time there during the two days to CHI (for the better view, ha, ha!), and the attendant never did move us upstairs. Perhaps he knew he had a good thing going.

As a side note, once east of CHI on the LSL, we became acquainted with the phenomenon of Seat Hogs (which is another topic), and we never traveled east of CHI in coach again.

I'm a little late to this thread, but my experience boarding #1 from Tucson is that there are several people boarding there, sometimes into the dozens. Consequently, I've always seen the conductors pulling tickets at the platform, with coach attendants standing there right afterwards assigning seats They write the seat number on a seat check and hand that to you before you actually step on the train.

My experience is rather limited, so it may be different when you get there, but that's what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back