Stupid Roomette Tricks on the Northeast Corridor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cardinal timetable incorrectly lists ALX as an R stop, but the reservations system will book the 51 westbound from NWK-ALX.
That must have been a one time glitch that let you see that, 51 does not present itself as an option when you try to book NWK-ALX on Cardinal days.
51 southbound to ALX is still showing as bookable in March.

It looks like Amtrak is getting wiser with yield management to resell sleepers that are empty at one endpoint. I've found low bucket roomettes NYP-ALX on both 51 and 19, but for the remainder of the journey, rooms are priced much higher. My guess: when someone books a room from, say, CVS-CHI or RVR-ATL, the system opens the same room at low bucket for the unsold portion of the run.

If Amtrak has figured out how to do this, then it's a win-win for them and for LD-fans looking to book sleepers for day use. Personally, if time and schedule permit, I prefer a roomette over Acela F any day.

Interesting, it must come and go.

It most certainly didn't last month when I posted that, and at other points when I've checked in the past.

It'd be great if they were doing what you described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back