storing luggage in DC for a few hours before our train leaves

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happy2meetu

Train Attendant
The Capitol Limited leaves DC at 4PM. We will be checking out of our hotel in the morning. Where can we leave bags at the station so we can do some wandering and what is the cost? Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere,

are you in coach or sleeper? If in sleeper (or Select + status), you can store luggage in the Club Acela.

When we were on the CL earlier this month, we were in a sleeper. We just put them in Club Acela after we checked out of the hotel, and bombed around Union Station for the afternoon. If you're in coach, it's possible the hotel will store you bags for the day. It also looks like there is lockers for rent near gate A of Union Station.

Hope this helps!

You might want to recheck the Lockers at Union Station comment.

Unless they were added since the last time I was there , there are No Lockers available at Union Station. ( Chicago is another story).

There is a Pricey Private Check Service available but as was said, the Club Acela or your Hotel is the best way to secure your stuff while you sightsee in DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also going to suggest your hotel, especially depending on where you were going to sight see it might even be more convenient (or not).

Don't use the lockers in Union Station. I used them once a few years back and I can say with my limited recollection that it was a monumental ripoff. Since then I've used the Kimpton George hotel for luggage storage which is about a block and a half from the station.

RE: The lockers: I was going by this (http://www.unionstationdc.com/info/bagStorage) I personally didn't see them or price them, so I have no idea the value or safety of them. and frankly not a lot of information on the web site there, so your guess is as good as mine.

Being my first time at Union Station, I couldn't find Club Acela to save my life, so I had to ask. If you go through to the main concourse where the stairs go up to the shops and down to the food court you'll see the ticket counter for Amtrak. Go to the left of the counter and there will be a break where you can go right to the platforms, head down that path and there's a Starbuck's. Almost directly across from the starbuck's is the Club Acela. if you ring the bell next to the door they'll let you in, show them you boarding pass/ticket/eticket and to the right of the desk is the closet/room to store you're luggage.

The folks there were very helpful, especially after my mom lost her and my dad's tickets. They quickly tracked down her reservation and reprinted the tickets. They'll also take your dinner reservation for you. One note, if you need a redcap, if it's anything like it was when we went, they're pretty understaffed. My mom has Fibromyalgia so a redcap is a necessity, but we were pretty much the last ones on the Cap which led to some anxiety from my dad about making the train. Of course, there was no issue about making the train, but if you don't need a redcap and want to get on earlier, it might be better to just walk :D .

If you are in a sleeper, you are all set. The Club Acela is behind the information counter, Ring bell, they buzz you in, look at your ticket, and there is a closet/store room for passengers to leave bags while roaming. You may also "hang out" particularly if the weather is not conducive to exploring.

They certainly could if they are checking bags, but since they are traveling in a sleeper, even if they checked large bags, they probably have carry-on stuff they wouldn't want ta walk around with. Lots of sleeper passengers just throw their bags on the downstairs rack in a SL sleeper and don't bother checking them. There are a few destinations on the route that don't have checked bag service.

We have two carry on size bags on wheels that we plan to bring. One we plan to take to the room and the other we will put on the luggage shelf in the train. Thank you all for the very useful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back