Station locations with the same name

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No I am not counting any Newark stations as New York stations. The three major stations in New York are Penn Station, Grand Central Terminal and Jamaica. All three have higher riderships than any other station in the vicinity of New York.

OTOH realistically JFK, LGA and EWR are legitimate New York airports considering the ridership that flow through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
At least in Moscow, if you're travelling to Leningrad, Belarus, Kazan, Kiev, Kursk, Paveletsk, Riga, Savyolovsk, or Yaroslavlsk, you know which station to go to! :) If you're going anywhere else it's a bit confusing though.
I've been to Shanghai. And I don't really speak the language. They have two major airports (including one major airport/train station complex) and four major train stations.
I lived in Shanghai and never found it all that confusing even after I first got there, not speaking the language at all. Then again for my inter-city travel needs almost all of them were out of two places (Hongqiao Airport/Rail station) or SH railway station.

London on the other hand has at least a dozen main stations which I found to be somewhat confusing.
One time we missed a train (my wife is a procrastinator) when our taxi couldn't make it in time when it was raining. So we ended up getting a refund on our ticket and rerouting to our destination. That included time in line at the station trying to sort things out as to where to go first. The closest possibility was trying to take another train to a different Shanghai station and then a taxi to try and make it to our connection. Traffic didn't allow it, so we got a refund on our tickets and bought ones for the next train about 8 hours later. We also ended up checking in a couple of bags to a temporary storage facility, which wasn't cheap even for only a few hours. Even then we brought along rolling luggage.

The one thing that freaks me about about the older train stations in China is the lack of elevators or escalators even with high speed rail. We even paid porters on occasion (not sure if they were legal but nobody messed with them). And once it was a tiny woman who didn't look very strong, but she could awkwardly manage two 45 lb suitcases and charged 10 yuan. I could have done it myself, but my wife insisted.

Trivia note -- there are three Amtrak rail stations in the city of Los Angeles: Los Angeles Union Station (obviously), Van Nuys, and Chatsworth.

Seriously, if you're counting stations in New York City, you have to count Atlantic Terminal (Flatbush Avenue).

ANYway, a lot of cities have utterly cryptic naming for their stations (London is the extreme example). I kind of like Moscow's system of naming them by the primary destination of the trains out of that station.

When you go to Amtrak.com, New York only has one station listed.

Newark, NJ does have two but if you are going to downtown Newark (not sure what is in Newark that one would want to go), most people know that the airport is not located in the city.

Boston, however, you get four options. North Station does state "North Station Maine Service", Looking quick, you may think this is the "main" station, Route 128 also says Westwood. As somebody not knowing anything about Boston, can easily get confused of where they are to go.

Newark, NJ does have two but if you are going to downtown Newark (not sure what is in Newark that one would want to go), most people know that the airport is not located in the city.

While Newark Airport is not in the "city", the airport train station and most of the airport itself is located within the municipal boundary of the City of Newark. As for Newark itself, there are some pretty large businesses located in downtown Newark, there is the Prudential Center for sports and concerts, and the connection to PATH for access to lower Manhattan.

True. But Amtrak is the third largest carrier at Penn Station and its ridership there is also smaller than Metro-North's ridership at Grand Central and LIRR's at Jamaica. There is way more to passenger railroading than just Amtrak. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back