State Capitals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bonus answer:

Toronto, ON
Provincial Capitals Served by VIA:
*Technically Toronto is served by a VIA Train from the Niagara Falls,ON using Amtrak equipment/The Maple Leaf

*Toronto, ON/ Quebec City,QC/Halifax,NS/

Winnipeg,Manitoba/Edmonton,Alberta

And National Capitals: Washington, DC (Amtrak)/Ottawa,ON (VIA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for fun I looked up the walking distance to the capitol building from the Amtrak station in each city served (in miles):
And in terms of discontinued Amtrak trains:

Montgomery, Alabama 0.9

Nashville, Tennessee 0.7

Tallahassee, Florida 0.7

The former Amtrak National Limited, served Trenton, Harrisburg, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Jefferson City....and if you 'count' its thru sleeper to Los Angeles, you can add Topeka, and perhaps Santa Fe via its Lamy stop.....

edit: not sure if the thru sleeper went thru Topeka or not...at around that time the Southwest Limited may have run via Ottawa instead of Topeka...

Via Rail reaches Halifax, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Vancouver.

Via does not reach Regina or Fredericton, and unsurprisingly, also does not reach Charlottetown, St. John's, Whitehorse, Yellowknife, or Iqualit.
Vancouver is not the capital of BC, Victoria is.

Via Rail reaches Halifax, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Vancouver.
Vancouver is not the capital of British Columbia. Victoria is.

You can reach Victoria, BC on an Amtrak Thruway bus with a connection in VAC. (The bus uses a vehicle ferry to get from mainland

BC out to the island.)

There is also a Thruway passenger ferry service directly from Seattle but I can't seem to find any bookable dates on amtrak.com, so

perhaps that service has been discontinued.

VIA will also sell you a connecting bus ticket from Vancouver to Victoria.

OK, enough of this state capital business. Let's make it really interesting by switching to something like....uh.... county seats! :giggle:

Oh, forget it. That's just plain silly!

OK, enough of this state capital business. Let's make it really interesting by switching to something like....uh.... county seats! :giggle:

Oh, forget it. That's just plain silly!
Capitol Corridor passes through every county seat in every county along its route except for Woodland. It passes through Fairfield, and the Suisun/Fairfield station is close to the city limits.

Sacramento is however a huge government town. In downtown it's wall to wall government buildings, whether it's state, county, or city.

22? I only see two states lacking Amtrak service: South Dakota; Wyoming.

But then, being somewhat acronym challenged, I don't know what "IINM" means.
24...Hawaii and Alaska. Not holding my breath on either.

State capitols with NO Amtrak service:

Helena, Montana

Carson, City Nevada - No rail service after the Virginia and Truckee was torn up in the 1950's (except museum stuff)

Cheyenne, Wyoming - was served (kinda) by the Pioneer

Bismark, North Dakota

Pierre, South Dakota

Des Moines, Iowa

Frankfort, Kentucky

Nashville, Tennesee

Annapolis, Maryland

Tallahasse, Florida

Juneau, Alaska - though you could use Cascades and the Alaska Marine Highway

Honolulu, Hawaii

State capitols with Thruway service only:

Boise, Idaho - was served by the Pioneer - has Thruway (arf-arf) Bus

Phoenix, Arizona - was served by the Sunset Ltd - has Thruway bus

Sante Fe, New Mexico - does have Thruway Bus

Baton Rouge, Louisanna - does have Thruway Bus

Madison, Wisconsin - does have Thruway Bus

Montgomery, Alabama - does have Thruway Bus

Columbus, Ohio - does have Thruway Bus

Augusta, Maine - does have Thruway Bus

Concord, New Hampshire - does have Thruway Bus

Dover, Deleware - does have Thruway Bus
Nashville now moves from the "NO Amtrak" list to the "Thruway service only" list. In November 2014 Nashville gained a Thruway Bus to Chicago and just last month gained a Thruway Bus to St. Louis. As soon as the new Birmingham Intermodal Station is completed, Nashville will get a Thruway Bus to that station as well.

There is also a Thruway passenger ferry service directly from Seattle but I can't seem to find any bookable dates on amtrak.com, so

It's still available. It's the Victoria Clipper. Look for SVF to VIF. It worked for me on 3/27. You'll get 7402 Thruway Ferry. Alas, no AGR points on 7000-series Thruway services.

It's still available. It's the Victoria Clipper. Look for SVF to VIF. It worked for me on 3/27. You'll get 7402 Thruway Ferry. Alas, no AGR points on 7000-series Thruway services.
Ah, you're right. I thought it was one of those "book with train" Thruway services and was trying to find a connection from PDX or other spots on the

Cascades route. However, the ferry departs SVF too early in the morning to connect with any Cascades trains (and in fact returns from VIF too late in

the evening to connect). But you're right, it's bookable as a standalone trip.

Funny, because I feel like in the past, I have used SEA to SVF as an example of an Amtrak "self-transfer" ticket a la BBY to BON. But even checking

high-season summer dates, I still can't find any ferry that connects with a train in Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back