St. Louis to San Antonio & back...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

picnic42

Train Attendant
This coming July we will be traveling on the Texas Eagle... boarding in St. Louis and departing for a convention in San Antonio. We will be returning about a week later. Both directions we will be enjoying a nice Roomette.

How is the dining on the Texas Eagle? Anything new or anything lacking in the dinning car? I have been trying to keep up to date on the issues of food and services.

Any recommendations or suggestions on any part of this new adventure on the train???

How about long term parking in St. Louis? Safe? Lighted? Expensive? I have found reference to overnight parking, but I have not found anything about long term parking near the station in St. Louis.

Thanks in advance...

Ralph & Peggy (picnic42)

Can't help with the parking in STL.

The Texas Eagle uses a CCC as a Diner( 1/2 unused Lounge/1/2 Diner) .The Food is the standard National Menu and depends on the Chef and the Diner Crew working that run. There are some excellent Diner Crews on the Eagles and but unfortunately there are two that are worthless, luck of the draw.

On #21 from STL you'll have a Last Call Dinner, Breakfast leaving Arkansas ( around Texarkana) into East Texas, Lunch leaving Dallas and if the Train is running close to on time Dinner starts @ 530Pm around Temple ( only meal requiring Reservations on this Route)with Last Call leaving Austin.

On #22 from SAS-STL, Breakfast is served after Leaving San Antonio ( 7am Departure), Lunch after the stop in Temple and Dinner in East Texas. ( the LSA takes Reservations after leaving Dallas.Breakfast starts @ 630am, (the Eagle is often early into STL with a long dwell time where you can finish with Last Call upon leaving STL if on time)

I have yet to get a bad meal on the Eagle. Some have been better than others, but all have been good enough. Bob Dylan gave you the correct times. You might want to get earliest dinner time going south if the TE is on schedule, to get you some extra time to get ready to disembark.

I like the scenery, and the old station at Marshall is just gorgeous. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks folks... that helps a lot!

I am still looking for long term parking information in St. Louis Mo. I can't find anything about it.

Also...

Re checking itineraries I find some differences between some dates. One in particular puzzles me... Leaving St Louis west bound I am on train #21 with a roomette, If I leave San Antonio on Monday July 25, it puts me on train #22, with a roomette. If I leave on Sunday July 24, it says #22 roomettes are sold out, but... on train #422 i can get a roomette. (there is about a $50-60 price difference as well)

What is the difference??? I assume it is all the Texas Eagle... Are there any advantages to having a roomette on #422 (instead of #22) Eastbound to St. Louis??? Disadvantages???

Thanks again folks!

Same car, only real difference is it doesn't originate in San Antonio, but rather in Los Angeles.

The fares have different levels, and will vary with demand.

The #422 Sleeper is the cutout Sleeper,along with the #422 Coach, from LAX that is switched from #2 to #22 upon arrival into San Antonio.

These 2 Cars are booked to the back of the Texas Eagle #22 and usually cost more ( supply and demand) since you can stay aboard and sleep during the switching and layover in tbe middle of the night until #22 leaves @ 7am for Chicago. ( if you come from West of SAS )

Passengers originating in SAS whether on #22 or #422 can't board until 645am.(Everyone boarding Lines up @ the Red Poles by the Amshak entrance to have their tickets scanned).

From what I can remember of the "Gathering" in St. Louis, several years back, the Amtrak station is also served (or near?) the light rail. You might find long term parking further out, and could perhaps use the light rail to get to Amtrak?

Just an idea, and I may have got it all wrong anyway !

Ed. :cool:

PS Anyone remember what year that gathering was?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can remember of the "Gathering" in St. Louis, several years back, the Amtrak station is also served (or near?) the light rail. You might find long term parking further out, and could perhaps use the light rail to get to Amtrak?

Just an idea, and I may have got it all wrong anyway !

Ed. :cool:

PS Anyone remember what year that gathering was?
2010 Ed and yes the light rail is right next to the Amtrak station..

Long term, open lot parking is provided by a private contractor, St Louis Parking.
http://stlouisparking.com/amtrak-overnight-parking/

To ensure that is the most current pricing call them at (314) 231-6761.

Free, long term, open lot parking is provided at certain Metrolink stations for <14days:

http://www.metrostlouis.org/RidingMetro/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx

Check our park-ride options to see the parking options available. Unless noted, all parking is free and you can park up to 24 hours. Free, long-term parking (up to fourteen days) is permitted in designated spaces on a first-come/first-served basis at the Shrewsbury, Brentwood I-64, Emerson Park, Washington Park, Fairview Heights, Swansea, Belleville, College and Shiloh-Scott Stations. Long-term parking at the Shrewsbury-Lansdowne I-44 Station is along the west side of the lot. The Meridian Parking Facility at the Brentwood I-64 MetroLink Station is a mixed use facility. Floors five through 10 are free for Metro commuters on weekdays until 6 p.m. and on Saturday until 1 p.m. Floors two through ten are available to commuters after 6 p.m. on weekdays, after 1 p.m. on Saturday, and all day on Sunday. (Long-term parking is available on the upper level at the end farthest away from the MetroLink platform in specially-signed spaces.)

Coming in from KY, you can also look to board the Eagle early at ALN (parking should be free there) or for Metrolink Fairview Heights would be the closest Illinois station I would put my own, owned car. I would not park at Emereson Park or Washington Park, though those are easier to get to from I-64. To get to the Fairview Heights metrolink station, exit at IL 157 south and take 157 to IL 161. Make a left and the station is on the right. I would also pick Fairview heights as both Blue and Red line trains operate from the station and your arrival time (3-6pm) will mean rush hour service of a metro deparing every 8 mins instead of 16 mins out of Shiloh-Scott or even Swansesa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back