Special locomotives on San Joanquin?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the dash-8 #2051 was on northbound San Joaquin #715, what southbound number San Joaquin would it be?

If #2051 is on northbound San Joaquin #715, what southbound San Joaquin would it be on?

Amtrak California has two Dash-8s I believe. Ive seen them on Capitol Corridor.
Yep, 2. They are a rare sight.
Don't know how many Dash-8s on the "coast" but, its not unusual to see a Dash-8 in the Coast Starlight consist behind a P-42.
Not unusual at all on the CS, but that route and operation is completely separate from AC.
Yep, that is what I said!
My bad. Misunderstood.

If the dash-8 #2051 was on northbound San Joaquin #715, what southbound number San Joaquin would it be?
No way of knowing really. #715 terminates in Oakland at 6:05 PM. There is no southbound San Joaquins service from Oakland past that, so I'd assume it would normally go to the Oakland maintenance yard and be reassigned in the morning. The cars (other than baggage or Comets) could be reassigned to San Joaquins or Capitol Corridor.

San Joaquins has all these weird little trains like between Fresno and Sacramento, so it's kind of hard to keep straight where everything is going.

That's true. San Joaquin #710 is the first southbound of the day, and that consist is the commet cars. I'm guessing the next southbound would have #2051 on it because that is the first southbound with bi level coaches and when I caught #2051 on Sunday, it was pushing the bi level coaches.

Since the San Joaquin and Capitol Corridor run with such high frequency and such a short distance, it's pretty much random. So there's really no way to reliably know where the locos and consists will be even hours in advance.

True. I will try and catch San Joaquin #712 this weekend because that is the next southbound after #710, and they use bi level coaches.

#712 had a NPCU with the bi level coaches. Weird consist as well.

#712 had a NPCU with the bi level coaches. Weird consist as well.
Cool! Since it seems like you want to document the cool locos you see, maybe consider becoming a member here. It's quick and easy, and you'll be able to post and contribute in more threads and topics. Just an idea...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all. I am still hoping for a special / rare locomotive on the San Joaquin. If anyone has any info on where any locomotive is, like an Amtrak California dash 8 or a special phase p42, then please post it in this chat.

Being that it's a corridor train and now that there are enough California locomotives to cover it. I believe that you shouldn't really be seeing many P42s now which eliminates the heritage fleet from contention. And the few you might see out of two hundred locomotives. Very slim odds I'm sorry to say.

Hey all. I am still hoping for a special / rare locomotive on the San Joaquin. If anyone has any info on where any locomotive is, like an Amtrak California dash 8 or a special phase p42, then please post it in this chat.
There are six special Genesis locomotives in the fleet - #156, #130, #145, #184, and #822 (the last two are the "Veterans" P42 and the Phase III P40). Then you have the two Amtrak California Dash 8s. As I understand it, the Genesises only run on the San Joaquins when there is a shortage of California locomotives, which there currently doesn't seem to be. But even if a "Genie" did end up on the San Joaquin, you'd still have to hope that out of the 202 P42s and P40s on the roster, it was using one of those six. And that's not to mention the fact that it's a commuter train which runs so frequently that it's hard to figure out what consist is in use for what particular train.

I can tell you that if anyone here knows when a special loco will be operating on the San Joaquin, they will most likely post it, but I just wouldn't get my hopes up.

Here are four threads on AU that follow the whereabouts of the anniversary locomotives. Hopefully that's some help.

I do want to emphasize that you can check those threads for updates on the four Anniversary P42s, since anyone who has any notable info is very likely to post it there.
default_smile.png

There are six special Genesis locomotives in the fleet - #156, #130, #145, #184, and #822 (the last two are the "Veterans" P42 and the Phase III P40). Then you have the two Amtrak California Dash 8s. As I understand it, the Genesises only run on the San Joaquins when there is a shortage of California locomotives, which there currently doesn't seem to be. But even if a "Genie" did end up on the San Joaquin, you'd still have to hope that out of the 202 P42s and P40s on the roster, it was using one of those six. And that's not to mention the fact that it's a commuter train which runs so frequently that it's hard to figure out what consist is in use for what particular train.

I can tell you that if anyone here knows when a special loco will be operating on the San Joaquin, they will most likely post it, but I just wouldn't get my hopes up.
I remember the 2012 derailment of the San Joaquin when a truck just plowed into the train at 50 MPH at a crossing. The photos clearly showed a Genesis.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ondeadline/2012/10/01/amtrak-derailed-california-big-rig/1606941/

amtrakderail-16_9.jpg

Other photos showed it was locomotive #94. How it managed to stay up at that angle was pretty remarkable.

In theory none of the California or North Carolina corridor trains should be pulling from the national network fleet any more. The Midwest might have a few non Charger runs left. But there can't be that many remaining.

Wow! Thanks for all the support guys! I know you guys will keep me updated with the latest "news" on the San Joaquin.

You guys were saying there is no need for p42 locos on the San Joaquin because there are enough Amtrak California locos right????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back