Southwest Chief Stop In Albuquerque

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some jewellery too, I was really happy with my purchases. And it was nice to chat with the stall holders. My train (from LA) arrived an hour early, so we had lots of time to wander around shopping.

I didn't see anything fabulous, but there were a few nicer pieces among a raft of jewelery wholesale catalog schlock. Trust your eye and you should be fine. And it's a fun way to spend a fairly long service stop, a lot easier than the mad dash to the store in the station and junk shop across the street in Grand Junction, CO on the California Zephyr. I'd like to see some food vendors, though.
I know this is a year old revival of a thread, but I agree with pebbleworm. I wish they had some food vendors. There are a couple of local restaurants nearby that are just barely out of walking distance who could make a killing there. El Modelo has some of the most unique local New Mexican food in the area, all made from scratch in their own kitchen. Would be nothing but a thing to wrap up some burritos and sell them out there. Mmmm... I miss NM...

I didn't see anything fabulous, but there were a few nicer pieces among a raft of jewelery wholesale catalog schlock. Trust your eye and you should be fine. And it's a fun way to spend a fairly long service stop, a lot easier than the mad dash to the store in the station and junk shop across the street in Grand Junction, CO on the California Zephyr. I'd like to see some food vendors, though.
I know this is a year old revival of a thread, but I agree with pebbleworm. I wish they had some food vendors. There are a couple of local restaurants nearby that are just barely out of walking distance who could make a killing there. El Modelo has some of the most unique local New Mexican food in the area, all made from scratch in their own kitchen. Would be nothing but a thing to wrap up some burritos and sell them out there. Mmmm... I miss NM...
Agreed that the absence of food vendors on the ABQ platform was disappointing. Personally my wife and I had sights on fry bread. We actually asked Veronica Yellowhorse if we could find fry bread within walking distance of the station but unfortunately she did not know of a place. I should mention there is a fast food counter type restaurant inside the station that was very busy. The menu was typical of a fast food joint and the ordering/serving process was VERY slow.

298831_10100370217502978_2715315_52108076_18226707_n.jpg

Here's a shot of the table I bought some jewelry from in October '11. She had a bunch of stuff she said was handcrafted by the Zunis near Gallup NM. Prices and quality seemed fine to me. There were maybe ten other tables. I had about 30 minutes, my wife was asleep in our sleeper and I put the jewelry in her hand, boy was she surprised when she woke up :)

Bring back the burritos!! What official made the decision to ban something so beloved by Amtrak passengers? My guess is that it's because the "Official" food area people were miffed that everyone lined up for the burritos. My fiancee's favorite station used to be Albuquerque just for the burritos, which he raved about all the time. He's really upset that they are gone. This is an example of "progress" gone wrong. PLEASE, bring them back, or let them park around the corner so people can still have them. Let free enterprise win in America.

A little internetsleuthing has revealed what is obviously the reason the burrito truck has beenbanished. From a traveler's blog:

Many of the OnBoard Service Chiefs, Car Attendants, and other passengers have told me thatthe food truck that meets the Amtrak Southwest Chief at the AlbuquerqueStation. I decided to skip dinner on the train and give their burritos a try.They have a number of different types of burritos including both red and greenbeef, chicken and bean. I purchased a mild beef burito and a bean burritowithout anything hot. The burritos are home made wrapped in aluminum foil andthen wrapped again in plastic wrap. They were every bit as good as everyoneclaimed them to be! I think I will be skipping whatever meal comes around thetime we hit Albuquerque on each of my future trips to enjoy burritos from thattruck again.

Read that lastsentence through the eyes of an Amtrak administrator. They were losing dinnerprofits and shut the burrito man down. I'd bet a dozen carnitas burritos on it.

Last edited:
Aloha

Here is a picture of one of the vendors.

9326071_vfqjp-M.jpg

I thought I had more.
That bus isn't used there any more. All the vendors are in the designated (covered) area on the south end of the platform, away from the station. No food except for chips and sodas, because the health department cracked down on unlicensed food prep (possibly prodded by the local restaurants).

Read that lastsentence through the eyes of an Amtrak administrator. They were losing dinnerprofits and shut the burrito man down. I'd bet a dozen carnitas burritos on it.
To my knowledge, Amtrak does not own the station in Albuquerque. Therefore no one at Amtrak could have made any such decision, even assuming that some Amtrak manager was actually aware of the stand.

It's far more likely, as noted by the other guest, that the local health department clamped down on things.

Hopefully no one will get any ideas about trying to run off the Burrito Lady at El Paso. As popular as she is there would probably be an outcry and then some if they did.

I bought a blanket for my mom last time i was there in 08 for $5 and it's nice and warm and hand made.
I don't believe they sell hand made blankets for $10 or so. I have seen handmade ones for several hundred dollars or maybe even thousands. I like the cheap blankets they have but I think they are made in Mexico and are not handmade. Still nice and warm.

Dan

To my knowledge, Amtrak does not own the station in Albuquerque. Therefore no one at Amtrak could have made any such decision, even assuming that some Amtrak manager was actually aware of the stand. It's far more likely, as noted by the other guest, that the local health department clamped down on things.
I'm going to side with Alan on this. On the Sunset Limited I've seen Amtrak staff buy from the burrito lady themselves. In fact I've even heard staff get on the PA just to alert passengers to the burrito lady's presence so they can get off and get some. Does that sound like they're scared of the competition? Not to mention that, to the best of my understanding, even if Amtrak sells every single piece of junk food they can stock it's still a net loss. So, yes, I think it's more likely the result of an action taken by the health department after some sort of complaint, possibly from the station's owner or the concession's management. That being said, I'm not so sure that our severely written but rarely enforced health codes actually improve things all that much. I've become seriously ill after eating at several fully licensed restaurants. I've also seen licensed restaurants where the staff treated proper food preparation like it was some sort of joke. For what it's worth my success with sidewalk vendors has actually been pretty good so far. *knocks on wood*

Hopefully no one will get any ideas about trying to run off the Burrito Lady at El Paso. As popular as she is there would probably be an outcry and then some if they did.
I don't think her popularity is by accident. Those burritos were ¡excelente!

As for the Native American jewelry, I don't know much about it but my mother and aunt do. I believe they generally pay hundreds of dollars per item in specialty shops. You'd think at those prices the creators would doing extremely well for themselves, but that doesn't seem to be the case for whatever reason. It's sad to think that most of the more reasonably priced items are actually made in Mexico or China.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a blanket for my mom last time i was there in 08 for $5 and it's nice and warm and hand made.
I don't believe they sell hand made blankets for $10 or so. I have seen handmade ones for several hundred dollars or maybe even thousands. I like the cheap blankets they have but I think they are made in Mexico and are not handmade. Still nice and warm.

Dan
I think you are definitely right Dan. On the two times I have been in Mexico, both on Carnival cruises, we haggled and got some pretty cool stuff in Ensenada. I know, it's crazy that I've been never REALLY been to Mexico living 37 minutes away, but the only time my family has REALLY gone was back when I was with my grand,a on the EB visiting Montana. I'd take that any day. Sorry for getting sidetracked. Anyway, we got a few cool things. The first time, we were on the Carnival Splendor. It was June 2009, and it was the ship's VERY first allowed back down due to the swine flu. The itinerary was supposed to be this: Day at Sea, Day at Sea, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo, Day at Sea. But instead it went like this: Day at Sea, Day at Sea, Cabo, Mazatlan, Day at Sea, Ensenada. We missed Puerto Vallarta and exchanged with Ensenada, which is a dump. While there in Ensenada, my sister DID contract the swine flu and had to go to an emergency clinic at 1 in the morning like 3 nights later. Damn hurricane. It never amounted to anything, and got my sister sick. But in Ensenada, we bought a hammock for 15 after getting it down from 25, a blanket for 10 after getting it down from 15, and a painting. The blanket was very nice. Thick, warm, and colorful. We still have it and use it. But it did off-gas for like half a year before it didn't smell weird any more. But the painting was like the coolest thing. There is this guy on the sidewalks who makes these incredible paintings for you in 5 minutes, all out of spray paint. He has a whole book with like 100 images, you pick one from it, or one he has created, and it's 10 bucks. His techniques are so cool. Just for you guys, I looked it up on youtube. Look at the paintings in the background as well. Here is the link

That time, we got one with two dolphins jumping out of the ocean with a giant sun setting in the background. The second time I was there was just two and a half months later. For my 13th birthday present, I had arranged for my dad to take me on a cruise on the Carnival Elation, in it's last fall in San Diego (which we didn't know yet). We got an amazing price like Joanie did. Probably the cheapest deal you will have ever found in recent years. We booked it in April, just 1 month after the economy hit its lowest point, so for a weekend three-night cruise, the total price for both of us was $258, and close to $300 after all the taxes and fees. For three nights per person, it was $129. Amazing. So we left on Friday Sep. 11. he took me out of school at lunch, we went downtown, boarded the ship, and I had a great time. We just had a day at sea and a day in Ensenada. That time we got one of those paintings but it was a forest, with a beautiful waterfall and a sun setting behind that as well. Stunningly beautiful, for $10. So after all of those stories, all that really came out of answering Dan was that yes the blankets probably were made in Mexico. :)

We make a round trip L.A. to New York on the SWC every year. 29 days until the next one.

My wife always makes some purchases at the ABQ station. There is a wide range in quality and type of items for sale.

Some is made in China or Mexico and some is strictly tourist stuff so you have to look around. Our daughter and son-in-law are in the jewelry business and they were impressed with the quality and price of the purchases.

Also, I have seen many a blanket and "Mexican Hoodie" in New Mexico and Mexico and off of Harry Hines Blvd in Dallas that all look like they came from the same mill.

That being said, they are still some of the best blankets and hoodies we have ever had.

I believe that it is illegal to misrepresent an item as locally made if it wasn't. Not to say no one at ABQ has ever lied, but I'm sure that peddlers of the authentic stuff would not tolerate imposters.

I believe that it is illegal to misrepresent an item as locally made if it wasn't. Not to say no one at ABQ has ever lied, but I'm sure that peddlers of the authentic stuff would not tolerate imposters.
I don't think they advertise that they made the blankets. One just sees Native Americans selling jewelry and blankets and makes that assumption. I have seen hand made stuff and it is way more than $10 or whatever the blankets go for there. I have a few of those blankets, bought from Native Americans but factory made in Mexico, and enjoy them very much. Can't speak for the jewelry as I know nothing about it.

Dan

I don't think they advertise that they made the blankets. One just sees Native Americans selling jewelry and blankets and makes that assumption. I have seen hand made stuff and it is way more than $10 or whatever the blankets go for there. I have a few of those blankets, bought from Native Americans but factory made in Mexico, and enjoy them very much. Can't speak for the jewelry as I know nothing about it.

Dan
Regarding the blankets, when we were browsing the stand of Veronica Yellowhorse we inquired about them. We specifically asked if she had "Navajo" blankets. She said that her blankets for sale were made in Mexico and were machine made. They were of the Navajo design and were of a pleasant appearance. Her comment was that it was becoming difficult to obtain authentic hand woven Navajo blankets. It sounded like it was becoming a lost art and if you were able to obtain the real thing the cost would be pricey.

Dating back to the days of the Chief and Super Chief, the ABQ stop is a classic example of impulse buying at its finest. You have a trapped audience which is anxious for a little change of pace and add in some interesting items for sale in a pleasant surrounding and it is Marketing 101 at its finest. I only wish I could go back in time to the mid 50s and enjoy this stop.

Definitely worth a look - quality varies, time of the year, with the weather - etc. (Too hot, too cold...) Purchased a fabulous handmade, inlaid turquoise bracelet for $300 one year - best thing I've ever purchased there - had a modern design, not traditional, but still beautiful example of native American work. I often pick up nice pendants with inlaid stone for under $20, and always take extra cash for this purpose. They make great gifts. But, as others have stated her, there is plenty of tourist schlocky stuff to suit the most ardent junk collector. Always look forward to this stop!

Unfortunately, the material available at ABQ has deteriorated badly in recent years. It used to be one of the good places to buy Indian art--people would stop there at train time even if not on the train to buy, and we have some great pieces from 15-20 years ago. But recently it has become largely junk from China, or, if Native American, that of the poorest quality. Unless this is the only place you have a chance to shop for Indian art, I would not recommend it. There is still outstanding Indian art available in Santa Fe, Gallup, and on the Navajo reservation, but that requires a car trip.

There is still outstanding Indian art available in Santa Fe, Gallup, and on the Navajo reservation, but that requires a car trip.
You don't have to go to Santa Fe, Gallup, and on the Navajo reservation:

A few blocks from the Amtrak station (too far for passengers, but a great place for locals and tourists) is Skip Maisel's.

Skip Maisel's is the largest selection of Indian Jewelry in the Southwest; selling Indian jewelry and crafts to the public at genuine wholesale prices.

... you can see the Indians coming and going with their handmade goods, which Maisel buys daily.

He also employs several Indian craftsmen whom you can watch work in the store.

510 Central SW, Albuquerque NM 87102

Email: [email protected]

Store hours: 9:00am-5:30pm, Monday through Saturday

Tel: (505) 242-6526

I’ve bought jewelry, rugs, etc there a number of times during my years living in Albuquerque and the prices are half what one would pay in shops at ‘Old Town’

I tell any tourists I meet to visit ‘Old Town’ but buy at Maisel’s.

And, no - I have not connection to the store or owners.

From YELP:

Untitled.png

Dan
It is illegal in New Mexico to represent articles as Native American made which are not; people get busted every year over this, but honest sellers make the origin of their products clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back