SouthWest Chief Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning a trip in the near future to Albuquerque. I am going to leave on the Cardinal from Charlottesville,VA. Is the connection to the Chief guranteed from the Cardinal,and on the return is the connection guranteed ? I noticed incoming into Chicago the layover would be 4 hrs 40 minutes and coming back it would be 2 hrs 25 minutes. Does Chicago Union station have good restaurants and can anyone recommend a good Albuquerque hotel? Thanks for any insights.

Sincerely,

Mike

Is the connection to the Chief guaranteed from the Cardinal,and on the return is the connection guaranteed ?
Yes, connection Cardinal to Chief is guaranteed both ways IF you book each direction as a Through Ticket (ie same reservation).

Does Chicago Union station have good restaurants and can anyone recommend a good Albuquerque hotel?
Union Station has a nice Food Court which offers good variety and many people enjoy. I've used McDonald's there a few times, and next pass I hope to visit the Gold Coast Hot Dog place for an Authentic Chicago Hot Dog.

Within walking distance (a few city blocks) are other places which have been recommended on this group, including Giordano's Pizza at 223 W. Jackson.

...and can anyone recommend a good Albuquerque hotel?
I found these listed on the Web as being popular with Railfans (but I have no personal knowledge about them):

DoubleTree 201 Marquette Ave NW (Downtown, near Amtrak)

Hyatt 330 Tijeras (Downtown, near Amtrak)

Hilton Garden Inn 2601 Yale Blve SE (Airport... hotel shuttle to Amtrak)

There are some private owned motels/hotels along historic 66 (Central) and they're cheap! They're located east of station (uphill). In hotels.com, it will show you the hotels and its locations, but most of them will not show private owned hotels/motels.

There's a city bus transportation center right next door (not the Greyhound). Also there are some taxis out there. If it's not there, you'll have to call.

I'm in Alb. It all depends on what part of the city you would like to be located close to.

We have all major hotel brands at the usual prices.I would not recommend staying at very many downtown motels.

Unfortunately many of the old route 66 places are pretty much dives.For the price you can fine a nice place in a more desirable environment.I am a cab driver. Its my business and pleasure to keep track of all these things.If I can be of help answering any questions or making any suggestions about your stay feel free to message me and I'll also give you my phone number if you need taxi service although I do try and meet both trains daily.

Unfortunately food selection at Union Station in Chicago resembles more of a mall food court, and the meals are just ok. Yes there are Gold Coast Dogs, McDonald's, Pizza Hut Express, Corner Bakery (decent to go sandwiches and more healthful selections), chinese, bbq, and some other vendors. There is a good nut shop that also has caramel corn and other snacks. It may be a good place for you to stock up on some munchies for the rest of your trip. If your train is running on time, feel free to venture out of the building for some good food. You can google some of these restaurants to get more information. Boston Blackie's is close by and well known for their burgers, Dylan's Tavern and Grill is like a neighborhood pub w/ American Fare, Greektown is about a 1/2 mile away w/ some great eateries including Greek Islands on the corner of Halsted & Adams. For a good Chicago Pizza, thin crust or deep dish, go to Giordano's on Jackson which is just a couple blocks away. For a bit of a higher end experience, try Blackbird, a well respected restaurant that can be reasonable for lunch. By all means, take advantage of you short stay, and walk some of the city. If the weather is good, you can always get something to go and sit next to the Chicago River, watching the boats go by.

There is also the Metro Cafe which is on the lower level as you head towards the Great Hall. Decent food and it is made fresh while you wait, although the music tends to be a bit loud in there.

Dan

If you dare go to Pizza Hut in Chicago, Federal Code CLL-JNY 867-5309-4GT require you to be committed to an asylum for 5 years for observation, however. I can't reccomend Giordano's enough. Heck, in November me and my G/F are going to Chicago just to eat there- from NEW YORK!

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience in Chicago was that the food choices were not anywhere near what I would have expected, considering the vast space in the station and the reputation for Chicago hot dogs and pizza. Found the hot dog joint, and ate there. It was good, but I would have liked to have enjoyed a nice deep pan pizza somewhere in the station.

As for hotels, a 4 mile cab ride will get you to Sunport Blvd and a slew of VERY new AND affordable hotels, including the Holiday Inn Select, Homewood Suites, or any of the other 2 or three right there. AVOID THE ALBUQUERQUE GRAND AIRPORT, formerly known as the Wyndham. It was bought and sold and bought and sold and everything of value was liquidated leaving the same bed mattresses and sheets. Maybe better now, but I knew a lady who worked there and was appalled by the way the place was run.

On the North end of town, is the Nativo Lodge, which has some pretty neat ambiance. Also the Embassy Suites and Marriot Pyramid are pretty neato, but a bit pricier.

Enjoy!

I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for their insights and help. This trip is in the pre-plan stages. Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back