Southwest Chief Delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Train Attendant
I will be taking my first trip on the Southwest Chief (Newton, KS to LA) in July and have been periodically looking at Amtrak Delays just to get an idea of how the train runs. The Chief was doing really well in early spring, but when I looked this morning, there are some pretty significant delays over the past few weeks. Any idea why?

Thanks for the help!

I only know the reason for one of them:

The #3 that left Chicago on Friday was delayed in Chicago. They had to wait for a second locomotive and left 70 minutes late. They remained approximately one hour behind all the way to ABQ, where my boyfriend detrained.

The fire is closer to Flagstaff, about 8 to 10 miles and has threatened 2 neighborhoods. The railroad is not at all close to the fire, but on some days have had smoky conditions and falling ash.

SWC has improved on times the last few days. Hoping it continues as I leave on it in a week! Packing extra snacks etc just in case a huge delay, but sending up prayers we are on time.

I have an upcoming connection from the SWC to the CS. If the SWC is on time or early, a visit to Philippe for Second Breakfast is the plan. At two hours or so late, I assume they hold the CS a few minutes and connecting passengers go directly from one train to the other. Beyond that, what happens?

Was on a 6 hour late SWC a few days ago so I missed the CS out of LAX. Unfortunately I got in with enough time to be put on the bus to BFD (a packed bus that I would not call particularly comfortable) connecting to a San Joaquin. That train turned out to be nearly 2 hours late causing the CS to leave SAC over 90 minutes late (no complaints about the CS delay - I was on the train and had a bed, that's all I cared about at that point).
At what point does bustitution as described by atm79 become likely?

Just rode SWC this week. Our #3 was half hour early into ABQ. Our #4 was almost an hour early into ABQ heading east. But the next day's train was an hour late. "You pays your money and you takes your chance.." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back