Southwest Chief Delay

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that the Southwest Chief #4 arrived in Chicago nine hours late on May 14. Is there any way to find out what caused such an unusual delay? I'm considering making a trip from Cincinnati to Newton, KS this summer, and the eastbound connection in Chicago is relatively tight--"only" 2 and a half hours between #4 and the Cardinal #50. There's not much tolerance for major delays.

I read on another board the delay was caused by a death on board, and a long wait for the coroner to come and take care of the body. After that, a late train tends to get later as it is out of its "slot" roughly scheduled into the railroads operations. I would not be overly worried, however, as the SW Chief overall has a very good on time performance history. Also, if your tickets are all on one reservation, your connection is "guaranteed" by Amtrak, meaning that they will either put you up in a hotel until the next train, or find other means of transportation to get you home at their cost.

Thanks for the information. You're right, the Southwest Chief is not usually very late into Chicago. I've made the trip from Cincinnati to Newton a couple of times, but it's been a while (November 2003).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back