Southwest 737 lands at LaGuardia with nose wheel stuck

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And then they'll complain about the smells & long drives to the store. :eek:
That very thing happens the rural area where I live. People move to get out of the city then complain about dust, gravel roads, noise and smells from farm animals and farm machinery, and longer response times for emergency vehicles. And boy, do they ever get freaked out by low flying crop dusters! :eek: . :rolleyes:
Right on! It's fun to watch crop dusters. Those pilots are daredevil. In my fire district which I volunteer, two planes went down after clipping power lines. Lucky, they walk away.

That very thing happens the rural area where I live. People move to get out of the city then complain about dust, gravel roads, noise and smells from farm animals and farm machinery, and longer response times for emergency vehicles. And boy, do they ever get freaked out by low flying crop dusters! :eek: . :rolleyes:
Right on! It's fun to watch crop dusters. Those pilots are daredevil. In my fire district which I volunteer, two planes went down after clipping power lines. Lucky, they walk away.
Kinda funny. People talk about the danger of wind generators to birds. Wires all over the landscape present risks to human's too. I can't remember the ratio, but if you look at NTSB charts of accidents, light planes crash very often. Airliner crashes are rare by comparison.

Kinda funny. People talk about the danger of wind generators to birds. Wires all over the landscape present risks to human's too. I can't remember the ratio, but if you look at NTSB charts of accidents, light planes crash very often. Airliner crashes are rare by comparison.
I heard a comedian one time refer to windmills as "condor Cuisinarts" :lol: :lol: :lol: It doesn't surprise me that there are many more light plane crashes compared to those of airliners. What surprises me is how at least in the area where I live such accidents don't result in more loss to life and limb. Several years ago a crop duster and Navy jet collided in midair near here. Both pilots survived with relatively minor injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the problem. Many Americans choose to live in the suburbs anyway, and inside the city you can't avoid noise one way or another. Many frequent flyers prefer a centrally-located airport instead of having to travel a long way out of town, like IAD or EWR.
While EWR may be away from New York, it is hardly out in the sticks. It is right in the middle of densely populated area which was densely populated before EWR came into existence. And EWR was the first airport built in the New York area and has been in continuous commercial service since it was built.
Both JFK and LGA were also built in areas that were only somewhat less populated than they are now.

Meanwhile New York TCO has changed flight paths all over creation having them suddenly appear over places that are nowhere near the airport with planes flying overhead suddenly as low as 3 to 6k feet. So contrary to the way it is being made out by some, it is not all the fault of the hapless homeowners. How heck is someone in Rumson NJ supposed to know ahead of time that they will suddenly be in the approach path of Newark?
But for frequent flyers, they are often travelling for business instead of leisure. You can get to JFK easier than EWR if you need to fly at the last-minute. EWR also has less flights, and it seems very dirty to me, maybe even dirtier than LAX.

But for frequent flyers, they are often travelling for business instead of leisure. You can get to JFK easier than EWR if you need to fly at the last-minute.
If one is in Manhattan, both airports are equally accessible if one is taking a train. If one is driving, I'd give a slight edge to EWR.

Forgot the political thing. Everytime MSP wants to try new things, the activists are out in crowds. Everybody wants an airport, nobody wants the noise. Ridiculous.
Minneapolis? They have pretty big airport and it seems just the right size to me. I've passed through on NWA internation flights. Sure, the airport dosen't look great, but it works OK.
The airport is located a lot closer to the city cores (and, hence, dense residential development) than some airports (such as Denver.) Match that with some people who want quiet, and there's a storm a-brewing.

Of course, there's plenty of places outside the flight paths, and you still live in, you know, the city. Noise is a part of life, I'd presume. If someone wants quiet, there's a lot of exurbs and rural areas for them to live in.
I don't see the problem. Many Americans choose to live in the suburbs anyway, and inside the city you can't avoid noise one way or another. Many frequent flyers prefer a centrally-located airport instead of having to travel a long way out of town, like IAD or EWR.

ORD seems OK, there's an expressway and heavy rail straight to O'Hare from Downtown Chicago.
Other people complain about it, though. I've learned to just shrug my shoulders at the whole debate, since I think it's ridiculous.

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/179530671.html

Is JFK cheaper to get to from Manhattan?
NJT to EWR is a quarter cheaper than the LIRR to JFK, $6.75 vs. $7 respectively, assuming that you're traveling on the LIRR during off peak times. Otherwise the difference jumps to $2.75. If one is willing to sacrifice time for cost savings, then one can take the E subway train for $2.50 to Jamaica.

The AirTrain costs are the same; so no advantage there.

Or if you want to be really cheap with lots of time on hand I suppose you can still do A to Rockaway Blvd or F to Kew Gardens and then Q10 to JFK if my memory serves me correctly, which it may not be.
You would take the E or F to Kew Gardens, then the Q10, or take either to Jamaica, and then the Q3. With a multride Metrocard, only $2.50 including free transfer subway to bus. You can do similar to EWR.....take PATH from any station in Manhattan to Newark, then take the local NJT bus (route 62?).........

Last edited by a moderator:
Or if you want to be really cheap with lots of time on hand I suppose you can still do A to Rockaway Blvd or F to Kew Gardens and then Q10 to JFK if my memory serves me correctly, which it may not be.
You would take the E or F to Kew Gardens, then the Q10, or take either to Jamaica, and then the Q3. With a multride Metrocard, only $2.50 including free transfer subway to bus. You can do similar to EWR.....take PATH from any station in Manhattan to Newark, then take the local NJT bus (route 62?).........
Yes. Route 62.

Yes. Route 62.
And you can also do a similar subway to bus transfer at Jackson Heights to reach LGA for $2.50....there are numerous local bus routes serving JFK and LGA.....

Getting around New York is still more expensive than many other cities. A base fare in Denver is $2.25, in Philadelphia it's still $2.00, and in Los Angeles it's only $1.50! I've never used the MetroCard though, because I haven't lived in NYC.

I heard the pilot was not very well liked there. Taking the controls at a few hundred feet from the other pilot is generally not a good idea, unless doing so would prevent bending metal.

Back