South West Chief starting late out of Chicago today...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

picnic42

Train Attendant
My sister called... (She is on the SWC #3 heading out of Chicago) and told me her train just left the station at 2 hours and 45 minutes late.

She said they did not inform the passengers as to why, but the rumor was that the train waited for another connecting train.

Anyone have any info on this??? This is today's train Sept 29th.

Thanks

Ralph

Thankfully, Amtrak has been holding this train to accommodate passengers form the Capitol Limited/Lake Shore Limited that want to connect.

For more on those CL/LSL recent problems, check out the big thread about those delays which is somewhere on page 1.

I was very happy to see they did this today, considering I have to make this connection in the near future. As do others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they held it for 6, 29 & 49. There's good padding in it's schedule so it may make up some of that time it gets to LA.

I think they held it for 6, 29 & 49. There's good padding in it's schedule so it may make up some of that time it gets to LA.
With 49/LSL having arrival times that were past the 3:00 P.M. departure time for the SWC 5 times in just the last 12 days alone( 3:16- 9/16;3:29- 9/18;3:25- 9/23;4:42- 9/25 and 4:26- 9/28) ,Amtrak needs to do more of this to prevent West Coast LD pax from missing connections. Just horrendous delays considering 49/LSL is due in CHI 9:45 A.M.! 29/CL really got in late arriving 5:20 P.M. for a scheduled 8:45 A.M. arrival. It was ONLY 3 hours,17 minutes late departing SOB and then lost 5+hours getting from SOB to CHI! Trip time according to timetable is a little under an hour (depart SOB 7:51; AR CHI 8:45). There appears to be no end in sight for these delays and no relief for East Coast pax traveling Westbound to CHI.If you want to make your West Coast LD trains and are traveling from NYP and can fit the 51/Cardinal limited 3/day/week schedule into your plans I would suggest considering that train. Has much better one-time performance and has been early or on time arriving CHI 10 of last 15 trips!

Th CL & LSL need to be temporarily rerouted via Dearborn. Then they'd get in early enough to make all the connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back