Sleepers on EB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N.T.

Train Attendant
I was just wondering how many sleepers on on train 8 during December. Had been booked in car 830 and then changed it to be previous day and it was car 831. Do they use different car numbers on different days or are there two sleepers (not counting the sleeper from PDX)?

I was just wondering how many sleepers on on train 8 during December. Had been booked in car 830 and then changed it to be previous day and it was car 831. Do they use different car numbers on different days or are there two sleepers (not counting the sleeper from PDX)?
There are Two RevenueSleepers on the SEA Section(#8) of the EB in the Winter, 830 and 831, the PDX Section (#28) will have the Sleeper added to the back of the Train in SPK when the Trains are hooked together in the wee hours! The 830 Sleeper will be next to the Diner, the 831 will be the next Sleeper towards the Engine and the TransDorm (Crew Sleeper) will be next to the Baggage Car on the Front! When you changed your rez you were given as different Car because the *30 was Full on the Day you wanted!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you changed your rez you were given as different Car because the *30 was Full on the Day you wanted!
It's very unlikely that the 30 car was full. Amtrak load balances things so that each car has an equal number of rooms sold. If they booked the 30 car first, and then moved to the 31 car, you could end up with the attendant in the 30 car having all the work and the attendant in the 31 car having no work. So the routine is, book first room in the 30 car, then book the next room in the 31 car, then return to the 30 car and repeat till the train is full. The only time that doesn't happen is if someone makes a special request that alters things.

When you changed your rez you were given as different Car because the *30 was Full on the Day you wanted!
It's very unlikely that the 30 car was full. Amtrak load balances things so that each car has an equal number of rooms sold. If they booked the 30 car first, and then moved to the 31 car, you could end up with the attendant in the 30 car having all the work and the attendant in the 31 car having no work. So the routine is, book first room in the 30 car, then book the next room in the 31 car, then return to the 30 car and repeat till the train is full. The only time that doesn't happen is if someone makes a special request that alters things.
:hi: My bad Alan!(Brainlock!) I meant to say that the room in the 831 car possibly wasin the smae bucket as the cancelled room in the 830 Car, thus the agent would have been doing the OP a service by n ot booking him into a highter bucket room! I do know what you say is correct, sorry for the mispost!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe that individual sleeping cars are yield managed separately. The current sleeper bucket for train 8 for the city pairs travelled should apply regardless of whether you ask for, or are assigned to, car 830 or 831.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back