SkyMall files for bankruptcy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder when the Bean Counters will want to Axe " Arrive" since I've never seen anyone actually reading one aboard Acela, just thumbing thru it in a Lounge?

Do the ads pay for it or is it a Money Loser for Amtrak?
I always read Arrive while on the train. Unless I've already read that month's issue. Sometimes it even gives me new ideas of activities in NEC cities.

I also love reading Skymall. I always wanted one of those Harry Potter wands....
Take it from me (not that I'm a Harry Potter fan), the best way to pick your wand is to go to Universal Studios Florida/Islands of Adventure and visit the Wand Shop (Ollivanders?) in the Harry Potter section. I guess they may also have one in the new expansion (Diagon Alley?), but they didn't have that finished when I took my wife there in 2013. My son is a big fan, but he hasn't been able to save up enough money to be able to make the trip - even with us offering to pick up his airfare. My wife loved it, and enjoyed the wand selection ceremony they go through. I thought it was entertaining.

ETA - I see that someone else beat me to the same suggestion, but with more up-to-date information!

While they aren't Disney parks, they certainly are great entertainment. Excellent theming and wonderful architecture. I enjoyed our vacation there. If you stay on site, the Portofino Bay Resort is exceptional.

And - I see all of the short flight comparisons being made. I actually ended up getting on an unscheduled hop like that. I was returning to Newport News (PHF) on US Air (as it was named back then) and we took off from BWI. While still in initial climbout, there was a loud pop, and the number one engine of the Dash 8 slowly feathered and wound to a stop as a light cloud of smoke wafted through the cabin. We had a light load of only about 20 total passengers, so the climb rate dropped from about 1500 FPM to probably 500 fpm and we started to circle. After being cleared from return, we landed on a remote runway at BWI with the fire engines chasing us down the tarmac. After a quick stop and a peek into the turboprops exhaust and thumbs-up from a fire tech, we slowly taxied to the same gate we loaded from. We were informed that an ORF bound Dash 7 was being diverted to pick us up. When we boarded we were given cold, angry stares. Next stop PHF and off to the house, while the Dash 7 took off for Norfolk. My luggage made it home the very next day.

I love Braniff! The flying jellybeans were soooooo cooool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back