Skyline Connection-Crescent Star

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And then there were the "Jersey Builders" run by NJT on the North Jersey Coast Line using ex-Empire Builder coaches for a while before the Comets arrived.
Somehow, I'd think ex-Empire Builder coaches would be more comfy than Comets.

And then there were the "Jersey Builders" run by NJT on the North Jersey Coast Line using ex-Empire Builder coaches for a while before the Comets arrived.
Somehow, I'd think ex-Empire Builder coaches would be more comfy than Comets.
Only if they had less than one and a half of their two feet already in the grave :) But they were nice while they alsted, though the window glazing had become somewhat translucent :)

Equipment is an obvious issue, as there isn't enough of it. The Skyline Connection (#45, #46) never came to be because talks between NS and Amtrak broke down. Initially it was supposed to be NYP-CHI, but then shortened to Philly. The Skyline Connection would've used a Viewliner, Lounge, and Coaches, like the Three Rivers Today. It would've run via Cleveland like the Pennsylvanian did, on a daylight schedule. If you want, I can email you a pdf schedule with the Three Trains from 2000.
Not .pdf, but here you go via Timetables.org: http://www.timetables.org/full.php?group=20000521n&item=0030

Assuming this schedule,

If going from PHL to CHI, I would definitely choose the Three Rivers (41) over the Skyline Connection (45) to avoid the 1:05am departure time (although your travel time to 30th St. Station would be before midnight). But eastbound I would consider the earlier Skyline Connection (46) over the later Three Rivers (40) if I were not transferring from a western train (and I have several times visited just Chicago as opposed to using it as a transfer point). The Skyline would give the overnight PHL-PGH trip I have longed for as well (I'd deal with the 1:05am for that trip). But the big benefit of the Skyline Connection would obviously be Ohio (CLE and TOL). It is way better than the Pennsylvanian (43/44) because it has better times at the endpoints (CHI and PHL). Obviously the Pennsylvanian schedule was chosen to make it a non overnight train so sleeper cars weren't necessary. But I can't believe any CHI-PHL passenger would choose that schedule, especially with the alternative of 40/41.

Revisiting a thread from 2010?
Hey, sometimes a person gets a bit behind on their forum reading..... :)
Not to mention I didn't even know AU existed in 2010 (or as some of you would say, the good old days).

I was actually looking for a thread discussing the "Crescent Star" and this came up. I created a new thread because it deals with the more recent movement towards the train rather than the effort back in 2000-01.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revisiting a thread from 2010?
Hey, sometimes a person gets a bit behind on their forum reading..... :)
Not to mention I didn't even know AU existed in 2010 (or as some of you would say, the good old days).

I was actually looking for a thread discussing the "Crescent Star" and this came up. I created a new thread because it deals with the more recent movement towards the train rather than the effort back in 2000-01.

Which year do you think had the most efficient Broadway Limited schedule?

Which year do you think had the most efficient Broadway Limited schedule?
I only rode the actual BL in 1994-95: http://www.timetables.org/full.php?group=19941030n&item=0018

I did ride the Three Rivers to Capitol Limited once and the Three Rivers directly to Chicago twice and the schedules were to my memory pretty similar. I like the Pittsburgh times in 1994-95, leaving westbound around 11pm and returning around 7am, making for a decent overnight between PGH and CHI, not leaving PGH too late and not arriving back too early.

Ideally, I'd like this schedule. I remember the TR serving as the "cleanup" train for passengers who miss their connections to the LSL and CL. Between the TR, LSL, and CL, the TR made the most sense to be the cleanup for me. Like the LSL, it served NYP. Like the CL, it served PGH. If you were going CHI-WAS, you'd have to transfer in PHL to go to WAS but it's better than being stranded overnight. Same for BOS or ALB (transfer in NYP).

My "second" schedule would be overnight between PGH and PHL, approximately 11pm-midnight to 7-8am on both ends, providing daytime service to Ohio. The problem is you couldn't use it for transfers. If you have three CL, LSL, and TR between CHI and the NEC, you'd like to have one as the "Ohio" train and the TR would be the best choice. You'd want to keep the CL as a transfer train for WAS and the LSL for BOS (it also looks to be the more popular from NYP and gets plenty of traffic from upstate NY).

I rode the BL Slumbercoach every two weeks when visiting my then fiancée in the late 80s/early 90s. (I lived in CHI, she near TRE - long story.) I knew I was a regular the morning I sat down in the diner and the waiter asked, "The usual?" Now I live near TRE (she won) and wish for the return of the BL.

Back