Silver Star Sleepers, January-March

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After at least 3 days of telling everyone that the Silver Star was sold out for 2½ months, the space became available again this morning.

How many people decided to fly or drive instead? Someone at Amtrak needs to lose his bonus over this one.

After at least 3 days of telling everyone that the Silver Star was sold out for 2½ months, the space became available again this morning.

How many people decided to fly or drive instead? Someone at Amtrak needs to lose his bonus over this one.
So the no rooms available on the Star for 2.5 months was indeed a data error. Since the rooms were blocked out for less than 3 days (from sometime on Saturday), Amtrak will likely still sell all the roomettes and bedrooms that they are going to sell. Still, it should not have taken until Tuesday to fix it.

Meanwhile Greenfield (GFD) and Northampton MA (NHT) have shown up as stations on the iPhone app and can be found using the Find A Station feature on the website (by both city & state search and enter station code search), but are not yet shown in the station list or the reservation system. Adding the CT River line stations in 1 database, but not in other parts of the system yet.

At least everyone can rest easy that the safety patrol kids from Florida aren't taking over the train for three months. Blanking out months of sleeper space is quite a spectacular mistake on Amtrak's part. I wonder if any other trains were affected.

Nice to know. I had to book my trip to Tampa via the Meteor instead of the Star like I usually do because they were all "sold out". I wonder if I can switch my reservations now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to know. I had to book my trip to Tampa via the Meteor instead of the Star like I usually do because they were all "sold out". I wonder if I can switch my reservations now.
Can't hurt to try. Tell them you couldn't book the Silver because of the sold out issue. They should book you w/o increasing the price since it seemed to be a computer glitch, not your fault.

I agree! Heads should roll. LOL

They changed my reservation for me but I was charged the difference in rate.
This isn't right, you need to call Customer Relations about this after the Holidays and receive your money back or a travel voucher, the mistake was Amtrak's, not yours!
Yeah, I'll probably do that. But I think the rooms on the Star are a bit more than the Meteor because it's a longer distance (though not by much).

Why should he not have to pay the difference in rate? The rate is still the going rate, whether it was booked three days ago or today.

Now any overpayment he made should be given a 100% refund, and there should be no additional change fee, but the difference in fare is legitimate.

Why should he not have to pay the difference in rate? The rate is still the going rate, whether it was booked three days ago or today.

Now any overpayment he made should be given a 100% refund, and there should be no additional change fee, but the difference in fare is legitimate.
IF the bucket on the Star today is the same as it would have been when he tried booking it earlier. If the bucket on the Star has jumped from that time, they should book him at the rate it was when he booked the Meteor.

IF the bucket on the Star today is the same as it would have been when he tried booking it earlier. If the bucket on the Star has jumped from that time, they should book him at the rate it was when he booked the Meteor.
Hmm. How do I find out what the rate would have been? The rate shown today may not be the same rate that it might have been before. Maybe I shouldn't care. I'm getting rewards points for it anyway!

If nobody could book, how could the bucket have changed?

If nobody could book, how could the bucket have changed?
Maybe enough other people saw the availability and jumped on booking the rooms before J Smith? I don't know, just threw that out in case it did happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back