Silver meteor - Orlando to Philadelphia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I'm planning to take the Silver Meteor to Philadelphia after my vacation in Orlando in November. I'm from the UK and though have used Amtrak to travel between New York and Washington, Philadelphia and Boston on previous trips, this seems like a good opportunity for the full long trip experience.

I can join the train at Kissimmee or Orlando, and plan to get a viewaster roomette.

What can I expect? In particular, any pros or cons between Kissimmee or Orlando for boarding.I'd be grateful for any advice, information and words of encouragement to convince me I'm doing the right thing.

Time is not an issue and it seems like a perfect way to unwind after a week with the grandkids in the theme parks, before a more sedate stay in Philly.

Kissimmee will be less crowded for boarding than Orlando. If your hotel is within Walt Disney World or along U.S. 192 (or much of International Drive) the Kissimmee station will also be closer and more convenient, which means a reduced taxi fare getting to the station.

Keep in mind the small size of the Viewliner Roomette (check as much luggage as possible).

If time is not an issue, I'd recommend selecting a travel date based on an AmSnag search... http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php ...because roomette fares vary between US$251 and US496 in November. The four buckets shown today for November are US$251, 310, 403 and 496. The fifth bucket is the high bucket and is US$584. The low bucket $251 is available on 24 of the 30 days in November.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Kissimmee would be my preference. Less passengers boarding quicker

access to the dining car for lunch.

Kissimmee has a direct city bus from the WDW transportation center to the train station. Of course to get to the WDW transportation center will be a round the way trip from most of WDW hotels. Your Hotel to Magic Kingdom then Monrail to the transportation center, short walk to the bus stop. Bus runs ever 30min. Hot dog stand across the road from the station if your early, and hungry. City Bus is 50 min trip, 2 dollars*.

Of course you did not stated where your staying, so...

*Fact check needed due year old experience.

Orlando has a more comfortable and larger waiting area. Coach boarding in Kissimmee used to be quicker because of fewer passengers, however, more and more coach passengers are opting to board in Kissimmee to avoid the long line in Orlando. Thus, the lines in Kissimmee are getting longer. Since you will be in a roomette, boarding at the front of the line is not necessary.

Boarding in Kissimmee will give you quicker access to lunch in the dining car, however, unless the train is extremely late, Orlando passengers will be served lunch in the dining car after boarding. If the train is extremely late and lunch will not be offered on the train, in my opinion, there are more dining choices near the Kissimmee station than the Orlando station. There is a hot dog stand just outside the Orlando station and a cafe across the street. There are several restaurants a short walk from the Kissimmee station.

Orlando is my "home" station and I am partial to it, but you should consider Kissimmee if it is easier and more practical to get to the station from your hotel.

*Just-Thinking-51, the city bus fare is still $2.

I vote for Orlando to, a classic depot in great shape. Either way have a great trip.

I would definitely choose Kissimmee. Orlando is where most passengers travel to/from because everybody knows that Disney is in Orlando. :giggle:

KIS will be much less crowded. Board there and enjoy the show in Orlando from the comfort of your roomette.

Just don't be disappointed. Not a lot of nice views on this trip. It's not like you'll see the country as on trains fr Chicago west. Service can be iffy. Trains can be delayed. I've taken this train about 30 times but only because i won't fly.

Since you are going Sleeper Class (roomette), I would not worry about lines or crowds at the Orlando station. Only coach gets crowds and get queued up into those long lines for boarding. Sleep Class is much more informal, and you simply board at will into the sleeper cars when the train arrives.

Just to note, since you are Sleeper Class, you are allow free access to the Club Acela lounge in the Philadelphia station, if you happen to have some wait time before continuing on your journey from Philly.

I think primary consideration should be ease of getting to the station. The choice of station would be dictated by where you are staying. If you are in the Disney resort area Kissimmee is probably better. If in Universal or downtown then Orlando. If you need to leave a car at the station, Kissimmee is better. If you wish to get some good food before boarding Kissimmee is better.

If you need to leave a car at the station, Kissimmee is better.
If you are renting a car, Hertz has a desk right in the Orlando Station (like at an airport), and very convenient pick up and drop off right outside the station's door.

If you are renting a car, Hertz has a desk right in the Orlando Station (like at an airport), and very convenient pick up and drop off right outside the station's door.
Good point. However, my mention was for leaving a personal car, which I have to do, since Orlando/Kissimmee are my two stations and I have to drive 57 miles to KIS or 70 miles to ORL, and Orlando has next to no usable long term parking, while Kissimmee has oodles of it and even free too.

Good point. However, my mention was for leaving a personal car, which I have to do, since Orlando/Kissimmee are my two stations and I have to drive 57 miles to KIS or 70 miles to ORL, and Orlando has next to no usable long term parking, while Kissimmee has oodles of it and even free too.
I was just thinking more along the lines that a person from the UK probably doesn't have their personal car with them, and more likely making use of a rental (if doing any driving here in the US at all).

As odd as it may seem, one of my best experiences with Amtrak took place at the station in Orlando. Something someone from the UK might not ever see at home....one of the very long "orange trains" came through. Always thought of them in a juice carton. (the ones I eat instead of drinking are West Coast)

As odd as it may seem, one of my best experiences with Amtrak took place at the station in Orlando. Something someone from the UK might not ever see at home....one of the very long "orange trains" came through. Always thought of them in a juice carton. (the ones I eat instead of drinking are West Coast)
I am pretty sure that the Tropicana juice trains are being rerouted to another line these days (at least during the week when SunRail is operating). Those Tropicana trains ARE extremely long.

Wow - many thanks for all the helpful replies and suggestions.

I'm actually staying in a villa with my daughter and her family, so Kissimmee looks like the best option. I will have a rental car from Alamo and there's a depot in Kissimmee, so I can drop off the rental there and either get a cab to the station or ask my daughter to follow and take me to the station. They're returning to the UK, but I'm spending a few days in Philadelphia before returning home.

I'm really looking forward to it now. 20 hours is a long time - more than the combine flight times to and from the UK - but it's an experience I probably won't get again. No journey that takes that long in the UK - even with our poor, expensive and fragmented rail system! The cost of a roomette is slightly less than the airfare and a night in the hotel in Philly, so with meals included, it's a really good option.

Thanks again to all - I'm sure I'll have more questions as the trip approaches, and I know where to come for answers now.

If going to staying on campus, and your plans are hanging out with the grandkids. You have very limited need for a rental car. Yes stocking the fridge off campus, will allow more variety. Going to Universal, sea world, and the Kennedy Space Center (long drive). A car is helpful but not required. While at WDW parks and hotels using the buses is the fast and easiest way to move.

With out detail plan on what your going to be doing. You may find the rental car to be sitting at your hotel all week, doing next to nothing.

Just don't be disappointed. Not a lot of nice views on this trip. It's not like you'll see the country as on trains fr Chicago west. Service can be iffy. Trains can be delayed. I've taken this train about 30 times but only because i won't fly.
I've always had good sleeper car attendants on this route. I've also never had a bad dining car crew (although some are kind of no-nonsense and not too chatty, not surprising with everything they have to do at one time). There are exceptions, and maybe I've just been lucky, but for me this has always been a delightful trip. The views are not spectacular--no towering mountains, for example. But if (like me) you like calm rivers and lots of pine trees, you will love the views til you get to the Northeast, and even then you are missing the worst part (Philadelphia to New York).

Just to note, since you are Sleeper Class, you are allow free access to the Club Acela lounge in the Philadelphia station, if you happen to have some wait time before continuing on your journey from Philly.
You will get to Philly probably around midmorning, if there aren't any long delays, and it is definitely worth going to the Club Acela and also looking around 30th St. Station. I usually leave my bags with the attendant in the lounge, freshen up a bit and maybe have a cup of coffee, and then go down and look around the station, which I never get tired of. It is Art Deco and very lovely and peaceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back