Silver Meteor 98 on Thursday?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured I would ask the board to give me some advice. I know that this weather has been historic and out of Amtrak's control. However, I would appreciate some help. Does anyone believe that my trip on the Silver Meteor (PAK to BRP) will happen on Thursday, or will it most likely be cancelled. Should I go ahead and make plans to move to another day, or wait until I hear word from Amtrak. Thanks.

I have a similar situation. My train leaves on sunday from NYP to ORL. So far, I'm doing the same as you, waiting. My plan B is probably the next day, if it's not overbooked. The Meteor has not ran full service for more than 4 days now (Amtrak announced tonight the (97/98 train is only going between Miami-Savannah) and I'm nervous that I can't get the next day or so on and so forth. The people on this forum have assured me that Amtrak will refund the money and rebook. We just have to wait and see.

Wish Us Both Luck!!

Locktown,

I hate to say it, but I rather expect that Amtrak will cancel Thursday's run. From all that I'm hearing, trains are still stranded at the station in Richmond, because they cannot move futher north. Last I heard, the Auto Train that departed Friday from Florida is still sitting in Richmond. The people went home, but their cars are still stuck on the train because they can't get it to the depot for unloading. :eek:

With another foot of snow expected to fall tonight and into tomorrow, I can't see how CSX will have things cleaned up for trains on Thursday.

The issue here is what do you need to do. If this trip has to be taken, then I'd start looking for alternatives. If you can postpone the trip a bit, best wait for Amtrak to cancel and rebook you. If they rebook you, then they will keep the same price bucket for you. If you cancel and rebook on your own, then you get whatever bucket is available.

Idon'tfly,

You have a much better chance of still getting through. Especiall since there are no more storms expected between now an Sunday. No guarantees, but I'd say that unless Virginia see 3 days of heavy winds after the storm, that you'll get through.

Even if CSX isn't 100%, Amtrak will try to run the LD's before they run all of the normal Regionals through the snow bound area between DC & Richmond.

Like Alan said the chances are pretty good that it will be shot down. You might have to fly. Like Alan I also don't fly. I only fly if it's across the ponds or in an Emergency in which I deem it necessary to fly.

Good Luck,

Steve

I just spoke with an not so helpful Amtrak agent; who told me that they would already know by now, if tomorrow's Silver Meteor is cancelled. He said that it hasn't been cancelled. :rolleyes: Is there a deadline to cancel a train, or is it anytime they feel convient, it would be great if I knew something by 4pm today? I'm 90% sure it will be cancelled.

I just spoke with an not so helpful Amtrak agent; who told me that they would already know by now, if tomorrow's Silver Meteor is cancelled. He said that it hasn't been cancelled. :rolleyes: Is there a deadline to cancel a train, or is it anytime they feel convient, it would be great if I knew something by 4pm today? I'm 90% sure it will be cancelled.
a rule on here is call again and again and again untill you get someone who knows what there doing you could also get a different answer each time.

LockTown,

My monies on no train tomorrow, but the fact that it hasn't been cancelled yet is not an indication that the train will run tomorrow. That agent is wrong. Amtrak could easily wait until 4 or 5 PM before making a decision on things. In large part they could be waiting to see just how much snow falls, as well as how much progress CSX is making at reopening the tracks between Richmond and DC.

But again, I'd bet that there will be no train tomorrow.

LockTown,
My monies on no train tomorrow, but the fact that it hasn't been cancelled yet is not an indication that the train will run tomorrow. That agent is wrong. Amtrak could easily wait until 4 or 5 PM before making a decision on things. In large part they could be waiting to see just how much snow falls, as well as how much progress CSX is making at reopening the tracks between Richmond and DC.

But again, I'd bet that there will be no train tomorrow.
The most inconvenient last minute cancellation I had to deal with once on a Silver Service train was two hours before departure, as CSX saw it fit to pull the plug that late. I actually learned about the cancellation after getting to Penn Station. Fortunately I was able to exercise my privileges as a Gold Elite on Continental to get me down to Florida later that day and thus salvage my trip.

a rule on here is call again and again and again untill you get someone who knows what there doing you could also get a different answer each time.
To be fair, do you really think that any agent would have know this for sure? Remember, the question was asked back on Tuesday evening.

Honestly, I would rather see Amtrak wait until tomorrow to make a decision based on tomorrow's weather. Weather has this habit of changing unexpected, for the better or for the worse.

I'll admit, possibly, my viewpoint is colored. Last Friday, our school system did an emergency shutdown at 11am, and sent all the kids home, even though the very first snowflake of that storm didn't fall until after 10pm Friday evening (that's 11 hours later). The kids were certainly not in any danger and could have easily finished their school day.

Honestly, I would rather see Amtrak wait until tomorrow to make a decision based on tomorrow's weather. Weather has this habit of changing unexpected, for the better or for the worse.
Aloha

The weather here is so varied that we say if you don't like the weather go to the next part of the island. A few times I just crossed the street to avoid rain.

The train will NOT be running tomorrow Locktown to where you want to go. It's official!

The following was posted on Amtrak.com at 4:00 PM:

Amtrak will be operating a snow schedule for Thursday, February 11, the following service adjustments have been made. (Note: this is a preliminary list which may grow based on weather conditions):Acela Express

- Trains 2103, 2107, 2151, 2155, 2117, 2121, 2165, 2167, 2119, 2171, 2173, 2193,

2190, 2150, 2100, 2154, 2104, 2160, 2110, 2166, 2170, 2122, 2124 and 2126 are canceled

- Trains 2153, 2168 and 2172 are canceled Boston to New York, but will operate New York to Washington Northeast Regionals

- Trains 151, 181, 125, 85, 127, 193, 187, 110, 130, 86, 84, 186, 196 and 188 are all canceled

- Train 173 canceled Boston to New York, but will operate New York to Washington

- Trains 67, 95, 93, 67, 94 and 66 are all canceled south of Washington

All Northeast Regional service south of Washington to Richmond and Newport News is canceled.

Northeast Regional train 176 will operate Lynchburg to Washington and onto Boston and train 171 will operate through to Lynchburg. Keystone Service

- Trains 605, 609, 647, 651, 649, 622, 619, 639, 600, 646, 650, 656 and 622 are canceled

- Trains 641, 643 and 645 are canceled New York to Philadelphia

- Trains 640, 642 and 644 are canceled Philadelphia to New York Empire Service: Limited service is available between Niagara Falls, Albany and New York.

The following services are canceled in their entirety with no alternate transportation:

Capitol Limited: Trains 29 and 30 (Washington, D.C. – Chicago); Auto Train: Trains 52 and 53 (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.); Palmetto: Trains 89 and 90 (New York – Savannah). The following are offering service along a portion of their normal routes:

Silver Service: Trains 97 and 98 will operate between Miami and Savannah only. Trains 91 and 92 will operate between Miami and Raleigh only. Carolinian: Trains 79 and 80 will operate between Raleigh and Charlotte only. Cardinal Service: Trains 50 and 51 will operate between Huntington, WV, and Chicago only.
The entire press release can be found here. The first half is today's cancellations, the second half Thursday's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back