short-term bag check at Penn Station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello

Can anyone tell me if there is a place to check bags for five hours or so at NY Penn Station? I expect there is a per-bag charge, that's no problem, but want to make sure I can check out of hotel early and store bags until late afternoon train while sightseeing in Manhattan.

Thanks

Why not check out of your hotel then check your bag onto your train which I assume will be leaving that day, LATER that day :giggle:

Hello

Can anyone tell me if there is a place to check bags for five hours or so at NY Penn Station? I expect there is a per-bag charge, that's no problem, but want to make sure I can check out of hotel early and store bags until late afternoon train while sightseeing in Manhattan.

Thanks
Most hotels will allow you to check out, but store your bags until you need to take them.

You can check luggage at Penn Station for free if you are traveling on an Amtrak train on that day or the following day

at no charge. If your train does not have baggage service, I think the cost is $3.00 per bag for the day.

At NYP it will cost $5 per bag to day check a bag and you must show both your same day Amtrak ticket and a photo ID. If you're leaving in a sleeper, you could put your bags in the Club Acela, but know that this area is not guarded. Bags don't generally disapear, but still you should take care to properly identify your bag and you should not leave any valuables in the bag.

Still the best choice is to leave the bags with the bellman at your hotel, assuming that it's not a major hassle to get back to the hotel prior to departure.

At NYP it will cost $5 per bag to day check a bag and you must show both your same day Amtrak ticket and a photo ID. If you're leaving in a sleeper, you could put your bags in the Club Acela, but know that this area is not guarded. Bags don't generally disapear, but still you should take care to properly identify your bag and you should not leave any valuables in the bag.

Still the best choice is to leave the bags with the bellman at your hotel, assuming that it's not a major hassle to get back to the hotel prior to departure.
Thanks for all the various replies.

I prefer to drop the bags at Penn Station because a return to the hotel in the afternoon after sightseeing will be a hassle. It's easier for me in the afternoon to go directly to the station by subway.

I will be taking the Acela business class to Boston, so I assume that Club Acela is not available.

I understand the caution against ever leaving valuable/irreplaceable items in stored baggage. But can I assume correctly that the $5 per bag check is guarded, and bags cannot be taken without showing a receipt? Also, how hard is it to find the stored baggage counter. I've never used it before and I know Penn Station can be somewhat of a labyrinth.

I still wouldn't leave something like say an Ipod or camera in my luggage, even when day checking it. And yes the bags are guarded and can't be taken by just anyone. But I still wouldn't temp the employees either. The day check area is also the checked baggage area. If you're standing in the main Amtrak area and facing the ticket windows, the baggage area is to your far left on the right side of the stairs leading down to Gates 1-4 as you walk towards it.

And no, the Club Acela isn't an option with Business class unless you're Select Plus in the AGR program or have one of the one day passes.

OK,

Serious planning question:

Lets say I am doing 2 legs of a trip.... Spending 3 days in NYP and then 3 days in Montreal. I am taking the Lake Shore Limited to New York and then 3 days later, the Adirondack to Montreal. Lets say I check all my Montreal clothes (but no valuable electronics) in a suitcase and send it to New York. I use my carry on bags in New York, but LEAVE my large checked suitcase in Penn Station, not claiming it yet. When its time to take the Adirondack to Montreal (which has no checked luggage), I then claim the suitcase there at the station, and then bring all my luggage on board the Adirondack.

Is this allowed?

It's allowed, but you will get charged for 1 day of storage in NY. Amtrak will only hold your bags for 2 days without charge. At a smaller station you might just get away with 3 days, but not in NYP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back