Service stops on Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was never arguing. I love how I'm always made out to be the bad person here. I'm offering my information and saying there may be a grass patch, in fact I think there is, because I've railfanned from there.
Tyler, just because I disagree with you or say something is a moot point doesn't mean I think you're a "bad person". That's a bit of a jump.

Tone doesn't translate well when typing. If you could have heard what I said, you'd realize it wasn't meant to be an attack.

In Chicago, I suppose the cheeky answer to where the dog should do its business would be where you usually see urine.....on the steps to the subway!

Sooo - it seems that the bigger stations, like CUS, for example might be more of a problem, but there, at least there will usually be ample time between trains to walk the dog outside the station.

The service, and crew-change stops -- don't want to miss the train there -- those seem more problematical --and you'll have to use some of them (the dog will need to)

There's good information above on specific stops. (thanks all who know those stops and posted)

Me, only know MSP, where the EB stop is short, but the places nearby for dogs or humans to walk, great - acres of park nearby, on the station grounds even, but no time.

As for peeing on the platform, few humans do (and they annoy me). But if a service dog needs to - no big deal. Urine is naturally sterile. Leave no turds, and all will be well.

And good luck with your hearing dog, Henryk. All I hear, those canines are some super-helpful dogs, and better-mannered than some human pax.

The advice to communicate your needs to your SCA upfront pronto -- that's real good advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, thanks to all for their contributions. I can see that planning ahead is a good idea for anyone traveling with a service dog.

I had booked a trip from Vancouver to Toronto on The Canadian in mid-January. Getting from Chicago to Seattle and then Vancouver would not be a problem, since there are plenty of Empire Builder stops and they are not terribly far apart. But station stops on the Canadian tend to be as many as 8 or even 10 hours apart, and I am not sure a dog is capable of lasting that long. Also, January weather could be really miserable for a dog out in the cold, especially one who has just begun its career. When Trooper and his trainer arrive in early December, I'll discuss this matter with the trainer further. But I have a feeling that the trip will be cancelled.

Again, thanks to all for their contributions. I can see that planning ahead is a good idea for anyone traveling with a service dog.

I had booked a trip from Vancouver to Toronto on The Canadian in mid-January. Getting from Chicago to Seattle and then Vancouver would not be a problem, since there are plenty of Empire Builder stops and they are not terribly far apart. But station stops on the Canadian tend to be as many as 8 or even 10 hours apart, and I am not sure a dog is capable of lasting that long. Also, January weather could be really miserable for a dog out in the cold, especially one who has just begun its career. When Trooper and his trainer arrive in early December, I'll discuss this matter with the trainer further. But I have a feeling that the trip will be cancelled.
Could you use pee pads for the long distance between stops?

TylerP42, I don't know. I'll have to ask the trainer. Good question.

How many times a day does the dog have to go. My sister usually walks hers or let's them out 3 times per day.

On the Canadian, Kamaloops, valemount, jasper, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Sioux lookout, capreol, all represent places where you can walk your dog. Iirc all have platforms where you can get inn and off easily. If there had been a large snowfall then walking areas might be more limited.

er. When Trooper and his trainer arrive in early December, I'll discuss this matter with the trainer further. But I have a feeling that the trip will be cancelled.

How many times a day does the dog have to go. My sister usually walks hers or let's them out 3 times per day.

On the Canadian, Kamaloops, valemount, jasper, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Sioux lookout, capreol, all represent places where you can walk your dog. Iirc all have platforms where you can get inn and off easily. If there had been a large snowfall then walking areas might be more limited.
In terms of walking your dog, it shouldn't be an issue. I have seen delay reports that indicate service animals were accommodated.

That being said, there is another version of the standards manual. It has not been made public yet, but the language is similar to the public version found in the Amtrak's SSM, version 8.1 thread:

g) Service Animal Relief

• The passenger traveling with a Service Animal

must be kept informed of stations stops that

provide sufficient time to walk the animal

(applicable primarily to dogs and small horses).

The passenger must be given assistance in

detraining, and guidance as to the general area

(i.e., grass, gravel, etc.)

• If the train is operating late, provisions still

must be made for the service animals to walk

and relieve themselves. In some cases this may

mean a small delay to the train, which is to be

noted on the Conductor’s “Delay Report”.

Additionally, if the train is operating late, provisions must still be made for the service animal to have a break:

H. Service Recovery - Passengers with

Disabilities

Passengers who have a disability may need additional

attention or assistance when we are providing service

recovery. This is particularly true if a decision is made

to evacuate a car or the train.

1. Service Animals

If the passenger has a service animal which requires

periodic opportunities to walk and relieve themselves,

provisions must be made to accommodate this need.

This may mean lengthening a station stop slightly.

The Conductor must indicate on the delay report the

reason for the additional delay.

This happens quite a bit. Crews will let the service animal do their business and inform the dispatcher and/or CNOC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course Trooper can earn AGR points. Every dollar spent at the vet or Petsmart will be paid for with a Guest Rewards credit card. Good boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back