Seattle Arriving Before Cruise

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're currently booked on the Empire Builder out of Chicago arriving in Seattle in August. We're arriving one day before we board a ship for a cruise. Seeing that Amtrak is not known for their prompt arrivals, is a one day buffer enough between arriving at 10:00 am on Saturday for a 2:00 pm Sunday boarding?

We are also returning to Chicago via Amtrak after the cruise and have 8 hrs between ship arrival and train departure. This is our first Amtrak experience and will be celebrating our 50th anniversary.

Thanks

Don

I know that Amtrak offers discounts to those taking the train to a cruise port, at least here in the East Coast. One of Amtrak's requirements, is that you book your train travel so that you arrive the day before the cruise departure. So, I would say that a day should be enough.

A one day buffer would almost always be enough to make the connection. It's possible something could go really haywire and cause that long of a delay, but a 26-28 hour delay is extremely rare on the Empire Builder.
Particularly in August. Only real worry would be wildfire...

Worst case scenario you can bail on the train in Spokane and catch a flight to Seattle on Sunday morning. But the odds of needing to do that are incredibly small.

Thanks for the advice. I know Amtrak has a cruise package with NCL (who we're sailing on). Their package actually arrives in Seattle two days before the cruise. That's one of the reasons I'm second guessing my current reservations.

I'm booking my rail and sail separately for a number of reasons.

Again, thanks

Don

Worst case scenario you can bail on the train in Spokane and catch a flight to Seattle on Sunday morning. But the odds of needing to do that are incredibly small.
If you think that represents a worst case scenario I'd like to introduce you to a little television series named Mayday. :ph34r:

I agree that a travel insurance policy would give the OP peace of mind in case something happens on either end of their journey.

I have an Alaska cruise booked for July and am flying to Seattle 3 days in advance. Why? I want a buffer between the flight and the cruise not only for me as well as for my luggage. But, I also want a return visit to welcoming, scenic Seattle!

Also, I have booked the Empire Builder for my return home after the cruise. Cruise ships tend to run very much close to their schedule. I feel very comfortable with the connection time between the arrival of M. S. Amsterdam in Seattle and the departure time of the Empire Builder.

Given what I think are good plans, I still purchased travel insurance. Just in case.

You should be fine. Several years ago we took the Coast Starlight up to SEA arriving the day before our cruise and were comfortable with the one day stay. Returning we did the same, a one night stay with sightseeing before catching the Starlight back south to LA.

Don't forget the poor man Cruise Ship out of the Seattle area. The Alaska State Ferry System.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/
The poor man Cruise Ship, Alaska Ferry, is not so cheap if you take a car on with you. In 2009, I went from Ketchikan to Bellingham with my car, just me, in a cabin. The fare was #1,083, about $600 of that was for the car! I do love the trip through the Inside Passage.

Seeing as the ship will probably board till 4:00 pm I don't see any reason to be concerned. Seattle is a great place to visit, all within the area between King Station and the Ship debarkation point. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy some of it. Happy 50th

Thanks to all for your feedback and information. I decided to change our tickets and will arrive in Seattle two days early. My family knows that if there's a 1 in a million chance something will go wrong, it will happen to me.

An extra day in Seattle will be fine but they can expect a lot of rain those two days. Has it ever snowed in August? :)

Don

Thanks to all for your feedback and information. I decided to change our tickets and will arrive in Seattle two days early. My family knows that if there's a 1 in a million chance something will go wrong, it will happen to me.

An extra day in Seattle will be fine but they can expect a lot of rain those two days. Has it ever snowed in August? :)

Don
In Montana it has...

Yes it can snow in Seattle. Not likely in August.

Rain has a better chance. Of course your traveling in August so bring warm dry gear for your trip to Alaska, but you may find you need your shorts and t-shirt for Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don
The average rainfall in Seattle is just under an inch in August. July and August are very nice there. As for snow in August, according to Intellicast the record low for August in Seattle is 44 degrees F. I think you are safe from snow. ;)

The average rainfall in Seattle is just under an inch in August. July and August are very nice there. As for snow in August, according to Intellicast the record low for August in Seattle is 44 degrees F. I think you are safe from snow. ;)
Just anecdotal, but a few years ago my wife and I took the EB to Seattle in late July and biked out to the Olympic Peninsula, over to Victoria, and back to Everett by way of the San Juan and Widbey Islands and didn't see rain a single day.

Don
Smart move...even though one day is probably sufficient, you don't want to spoil your vacation stressing over a possibility of missing your cruise...

Don
It does not rain a lot here in August. It will most likely be in the 80s, sunny and breezy, that is typical summer weather. There is always a possibility of rain, but not super likely. Snow? August? Really?

I always take Amtrak to my cruise destination. Embarking from New York, Tampa, New Orleans, Long Beach, and Orlando. I arrived by Amtrak a day before at reasonable times with the exception of one time to Tampa. We knew we weren't going to make it in time for the ship, so my husband tracked down the conductor and explained our timely situation. He took us off the train (somewhere...can't remember) and routed us by bus to catch another way down. There had been flooding of the tracks somewhere and that's why we were delayed so long. Highly unlikely usually though. LOVE Amtrak....most relaxing way to arrive for a cruise. Be sure and get a sleeper though with all meals included.

I always take Amtrak to my cruise destination. Embarking from New York, Tampa, New Orleans, Long Beach, and Orlando. I arrived by Amtrak a day before at reasonable times with the exception of one time to Tampa. We knew we weren't going to make it in time for the ship, so my husband tracked down the conductor and explained our timely situation. He took us off the train (somewhere...can't remember) and routed us by bus to catch another way down. There had been flooding of the tracks somewhere and that's why we were delayed so long. Highly unlikely usually though. LOVE Amtrak....most relaxing way to arrive for a cruise. Be sure and get a sleeper though with all meals included.
Yes we definitely booked a bedroom for both directions. We live in Florida and will be driving to ILL to visit relatives before boarding Amtrak in Chicago. So between car, train & ship, we will be traveling from Florida to Alaska without flying. My kind of vacation.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back